Fenix Outfitters        
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Show your CR2 lights!

Honorary Aussie

Default Re: Show your CR2 lights!

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    It's a "lego," with parts from lots of different CPF master craftsmen. Yes, the Mule bezel (and the McClicky) are from McGizmo ...
    Aha. No wonder I wasn't sure. Nice Lego though.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Archimedes, great looking light and I'm sure it performs just as good as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    Archimedes, great looking light and I'm sure it performs just as good as it looks.
    Thank you. Yes, it has a single-speed Nichia 183 emitter with a gorgeous 3700K warm tint, built by datiLED
    Last edited by archimedes; 10-21-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

My only

Quote Originally Posted by dJippe View Post
    My only

Is that D25c? Doesn't run on Cr123?

Quote Originally Posted by Glofindel View Post
    Is that D25c? Doesn't run on Cr123?
    Oops! My bad... (Cr2 and cr123 seems to be too close each other for me)

Quote Originally Posted by dJippe View Post
    Oops! My bad... (Cr2 and cr123 seems to be too close each other for me)
    All good bud. I thought that was a mod version of D25c.

Quote Originally Posted by Glofindel View Post
    All good bud. I thought that was a mod version of D25c.
    Just like the CR2 tube on the HDS Twisty! I always thought that is a cool mod, simple and elegant.
    I wish I could do that to a clicky HDS.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luxlunatic View Post
    I sure do wish I could get my hands on one of those Alumabronze Ions...

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by euroken View Post
    Thank you magellan. I'm actually going to try and install a McE2s on this to make it extra special Lets see what happens.

Who knows what I'll do. I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to part with this.
    Was just curious how your mod turned out.
    Last edited by magellan; 12-30-2014 at 11:19 PM.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    I sure do wish I could get my hands on one of those Alumabronze Ions...
    Is that your favorite Muyshondt Ion?

Honorary Aussie

I just ordered one of these from RMSK. It's a new offering from TnC. They say it's a mule and puts out 700 lumens on high. Yikes. Anybody have any experience yet with one of these little powerhouses?

http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/TnC1f.html

This brings my total of different CR2 lights to 30, but I'm still missing important ones like the Exolion, Peak Pacific, LiteFlux, 4Sevens Quark Mini titanium (although I have the aluminum one), older JIL Lite models, etc.

Here's the complete list of what I'm missing:

JIL Lite J2
    Aleph
    DSpeck Firefly I
    Surefire Titan
    Arc LS2
    4Sevens Mini titanium
    Coleman Max2
    Luxogen LR10
    Peak Pacific
    Exolion
    LiteFlux LF4
    Tranquility Base

If anyone has any of these I'm happy to pay top dollar. Just PM me if you're interested.

Update: As of about a year ago I've been able to obtain the Jil Lite J2, Surefire Titan, Arc LS2, Exolion, Coleman Max2, DSpeck Firefly I, and recently the Tranquility Base.
    Last edited by magellan; 09-05-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Enlightened

Hello

New to Candle power forum

I am looking at your collection and wondering which flashlight do you consider your finest

Nice, let us know how you like the Extreme Micro-Lux! I would like one, but have been unsuccessful in figuring out what charges a 15270 imr?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Honorary Aussie

Hi Matrix100,

First, welcome to the forum.

Well, I love all my CR2's but for every day carry I use a Nitecore Sens Mini and a 4Sevens Quark Mini. The Task Light II by Photon Fanatic is a very reasonably priced custom model too. But those are shelf queens since they recently sold out and and Fred doesn't make them anymore.
    Last edited by magellan; 12-31-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Honorary Aussie

Hi Thud,

Very good question actually as there are two types of lithium ion batteries in this form factor and you have to have the right charger since their voltages are different.

The first is the RCR2 rechargeable which is a 3.0V cell (peak voltage 3.6 hot off the charger). It is a LiFePO4 or lithium iron phosphate chemistry. The second is the 15270 size LiCoO2 or lithium cobalt oxide battery which is 3.6V (peak voltage 4.2 right off the charger). So you need a small battery charger with two different voltage settings.

I've never seen an IMR or lithium manganese battery in CR2 size so if anyone has I'd be interested in knowing about it.

One solution is the Xtar MC0 small battery charger. It's only about 12 bucks on eBay and can charge CR2 size batteries and RCR123A sized batteries. More importantly, it is switchable between 3.0 and 3.6 volts. The package includes the charging spacers which are needed for the CR2 sized batteries.

This charger is so compact and easily portable I have three, one for the car, one for the office, and one for the home.

Another possibility is the great hobby charger from Cottonpicker in the UK. It's available in several versions but I like the Octa-charger which has 8 selectable charging currents from 40 mAh to 700 mAh if I remember right. Since these little batteries are only around 300 mAh, and I always try to charge at 1/4C or one quarter of rated capacity. I select the 80 mAh setting, which is the second lowest setting.

Again, great question and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by magellan; 12-31-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks Magellan for the info! I may be missing something, but appears to be an Efan 15270 IMR under the flashlight pic, $5 ea.? Em-mgt site..
    Thx again for response.

Honorary Aussie

Hi Thud,

You're right. Saw those just recently and forgot I'd ordered two with my new TnC Extreme Micro light. The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be. :-)

I'm now eagerly awaiting my new CR2 light. 700 lumens. Yowser.

Another thing to be aware of is that some lights aren't rated for the higher 3.6V batteries. However, although officially not rated for the 3.6's, both I and others here have reported their Nitecore and 4Sevens CR2 lights will handle them just fine.
    Last edited by magellan; 12-31-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Honorary Aussie

I just noticed something. The new TnC Extreme Micro Lux appears to be outwardly the same as the Arcmania Extreme Micro. I imagine the internals such as the emitter and driver are different though.

For a picture of the Arcmania light check out the photo by gswitter on the first page of this thread. It's the last light on the right on the bottom row. My photo and fl0t's photo also show one.
    Last edited by magellan; 12-31-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Hi Magellan,
    I have a Copper Micro-Lux Turbo, and while it is a 10440 format, not CR2, it is amazing! Excellent build quality and it exceeds the 750 lumens by at least 250( seems brighter than three of my other lights rated at 1000lumens or better. I've had it for three months and absolutely love it!

I wonder if the manufacturer bought a whole bunch of the Arcmania Extreme Micro bodies or these are just replicas.
    The walls of the original Extreme Micro are very thick giving the sense of good quality. However, the threads don't look that good; very few thread length and poorly finished with tiny shavings still sticking out.

I am still undecided if I should buy the Extreme Micro-Lux.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeddiethefirst View Post
    Hi Magellan,
    I have a Copper Micro-Lux Turbo, and while it is a 10440 format, not CR2, it is amazing! Excellent build quality and it exceeds the 750 lumens by at least 250( seems brighter than three of my other lights rated at 1000lumens or better. I've had it for three months and absolutely love it!

Outstanding! I read the specs on that light some months back and decided once I picked up a few more CR2 lights to plug some holes in my collection, and then replenish my cash, I should revisit that light for a possible purchase since I like AAA lights too. Also I think the Micro-Lux Turbo is their most attractive design in a pocket light. If there's a AAA beast of a light it's this one, with that kind of power. You've just convinced me to buy one. Also I love copper and don't have that many copper lights yet.

Speaking of copper, I just bought a used but in good condition regular TnC Micro-Lux from a CPF member, and a new copper Maratac, both also very nice little copper lights.
    Last edited by magellan; 01-02-2015 at 05:50 AM.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by fl0t View Post
    I wonder if the manufacturer bought a whole bunch of the Arcmania Extreme Micro bodies or these are just replicas.
    The walls of the original Extreme Micro are very thick giving the sense of good quality. However, the threads don't look that good; very few thread length and poorly finished with tiny shavings still sticking out.

I am still undecided if I should buy the Extreme Micro-Lux.
    Good question. Their sales guy, can't recall his name, responds to emails so I might ask.

On the treads, yeah, not much thread length but in the case of my lights don't seem that gritty.

Enlightened

Thanks Magellan

Sorry for the slow reply - I am still trying to figure out how to use this forum - I have never been a member of a forum before

I have some spare cash, and I am looking to purchase some beautiful, expensive, custom flashlights, so any suggestion are helpful

Have been looking at the cool fall threads - my price range $ 500.00 to $ 2,000.00

Thanks

Kinda out of topic since Cool Fall has not made any CR2 lights. Although I may say you cannot go wrong with a Tri-V. As a flashlight enthusiast I've always wanted to have one.

I think CR2 lights are not up to your budget. These are more rare rather than expensive.
    If you want expensive CR2 lights I would look into the Titanium McGizmos with CR2 tubes, Photonfanatic CR2 Titanium (If there is one), Titanium Muyshondt Aeon, Katokichi Ichishiki CR2, and if you can find it: a Ti version of the CR2 Lummi RAW.
    In any of those lights you are looking to spend $500-$700 tops.

Welcome to CPF Matrix 100!

Enlightened

Thank you for the reply

I am a Mechanical Engineer not a Electrical Engineer, therefore still learning all about flashlights - I am finding it very interesting

I will review all your recommendation -

really I am only interested in custom built flashlights - why I suggested Tri - V

Quote Originally Posted by magellan View Post
    I just noticed something. The new TnC Extreme Micro Lux appears to be outwardly the same as the Arcmania Extreme Micro. I imagine the internals such as the emitter and driver are different though.
    It is the same design as the Arcmania EM.
    Through the years that Arcmania was making lights, TnC did almost all of the machining for Arcmania's lights. One of his best lights, the Superflashlight, was based on the Hyperlux, a design from TnC. Arcmania was more known for designing the circuits in his lights which for the day were excellent.
    Not sure who designed the body of the EM, Arcmania or TnC, but it is nice to see it with an up to date emitter.
    That is a sweet mule, with 3 levels and 700 lumens!!!
    What are you people......on DOPE!?!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by magellan View Post
    Is that your favorite Muyshondt Ion?
    It's really the Alumabronze shell I want, so I can Lego it together with one of my Aeons -- but the short answer is: yes, that's my favorite one.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by luxlunatic View Post
    It is the same design as the Arcmania EM.
    Through the years that Arcmania was making lights, TnC did almost all of the machining for Arcmania's lights. One of his best lights, the Superflashlight, was based on the Hyperlux, a design from TnC. Arcmania was more known for designing the circuits in his lights which for the day were excellent.
    Not sure who designed the body of the EM, Arcmania or TnC, but it is nice to see it with an up to date emitter.
    That is a sweet mule, with 3 levels and 700 lumens!!!
    Thanks, luxlunatic, I wasn't aware of that history. Very interesting. I look forward to getting this light. For a CR2 it's going to be a beast at 700 lumens. I'm wondering how much runtime I'll get on high before I need to shut it down.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    It's really the Alumabronze shell I want, so I can Lego it together with one of my Aeons -- but the short answer is: yes, that's my favorite one.
    Interesting, I never thought of Lego-ing one. I have one but just can't bring myself to part with it, but I wish you luck in your search.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast