Lights for Africa

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

A friend (non-flashaholic) is going to Africa for study abroad. She asked for light recommendations because of frequent power outages. I was thinking two lights (one is none and all that). Both AA because of ease of finding replacement cells, (though I'll probably load her up on Lithium E91s).

Anyway, I am pretty sure one will be an iTP A2, nice and small, good variety of modes, and easy to use.

Now, the second one is where I need opinions: I'm thinking something with a clicky (not crucial), tail standable, and not many modes (high and low), and larger than the A2.

My budget is about $75. So $25 out for the A2, leaves me with about $50. Given that she's not a flashaholic, the MiniMag LED seems like a possibility and would leave money left over for a bunch of batteries.

Any thoughts? What would you take?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a bullet proof light, what ever else you buy her,I would pop a Fenix EO1 in your buying list,AAA cell but she will get a long runtime and then a decent moon light mode on top and AAA cell as just as easy to find these days.It is a straight forward nothing special light but boy they are reliable and sturdy and would make a great back up light.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

samwise

Newly Enlightened
I would definately suggest stocking up on the batterys. I recently spent 2 months in india and good quality batterys were hard to find, lithiums almost non existant. A friend had a digital camera running on aa's and he had some issues finding batterys that would power the camera for more than 10 or 20 shots.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i,d get dynamo\crank lights that need no battery, find a good one, and buy as many as you can. dim light is a lot better than bright light that doesn't work.
there is another problem there, things there disappear, so i would not get anything expensive, unless she will be in gated community with guards, and have no contact with locals.

this you might find interesting
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/267791

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
There have been a few threads on lights for Africa, but they have usually discussed different uses and requirements.

You are asking about lights to be used during power outages, and as you correctly say, in some countries outages are frequent - so much so that the power is sometimes only on for 2-3 hours a day.

The normally ubiquitous AA cell may be difficult to obtain in many places - shortages are frequent, and things that appear in shops are quickly snapped up and hoarded.

For these reasons, I would personally recommend taking 2 lights that run on AA-size cells, complete with NiMH cells and a charger for them. One of the lights should definitely be a headlamp.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree on that one should definitely be a headlamp. And if she's not a flashoholic, I don't think she'll be that prone to bring two lights(even if you tell her). And where is she going to study? Africa is a pretty big and diverse place... If she's going to study in a university I'll assume(yes, you know what that makes me) she's not going to the bush or anything and will be able to find AA's(but giving her a pack of lithium energizer isn't a bad idea anyway).
My pick would be a zebralight. Seems bombproof(reliable twisty), moderately prices(50USD) uses AA, is super tiny(don't think there are any smaller AA-lights) and can be used without the headband handsfree since it's an angled light with a clip on(just clip it on her shirt or something if she doesn't have the band with her).
http://www.zebralight.com/H50-Q5-Headlamp-AA-Flood_p_8.html
Think you can get it at 4sevens also if you're in the states and want faster shipping and service close to you.
And a review from a guy who used it in the jungles of South America.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178839

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look into the 2xAA Icon Rogue, 2 levels, good battery miser, bright enough and good build quality (and on sale at Microcenter or Radio Shack).

Cheapskate

Enlightened
When one talks about power outages, the main use of a flashlight would likely be to substitute for the lack of room illumination.

So my recommendation would be a tail standable single AA and NiMh batteries and a charger as DM51 suggested.

Now ceiling bouncing is all very well, but I have found something I think is better and is very cheap. The plastic ball out of a deodorant roll-on. Balance one of these on the top of a tailstanding flashlight and you have a rather nice candle substitute. Cut a hole in the ball so it is a snug press fit over the end of the flashlight and you would than be able to suspend it conveniently or carry it about.

Here is my NDI + ball:

Difuser2.jpg

Here it is providing the sole illumination for the photo:

Difuser1.jpg

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I lived in Accra Ghana for a bit and power outages were almost every day. the biggest issue for me was the heat not the light.

Most of the time it was day and there was plenty of light. During the dark hours it only took a few lumes to light the way. I carried a cheap azz Dorcy with me always. It ran on 3XAAA and the batteries got changed like once a month. I also had a 2XAA that was rarely used.

Good luck, and ps I could get batteries within about an hour from any street runner for not too much.

Bill

and yes a good book goes a long way

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. My friend is heading to Uganda. Kampala to be exact, I believe. Power outages are the biggest concern. I'll take a look at headlamps. Good idea. Probably see if I can track down a bunch of rechargeables too.

Thanks again.

red02

Enlightened
Take a look at the ZL H501s, perfect light for reading. If I could only have 1 light this would be it.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Take a look at the ZL H501s, perfect light for reading. If I could only have 1 light this would be it.

I think that is an excellent recommendation. One of the best things about this headlamp is that it's really tiny. I have the red LED version of it, and I can easily fit the light + headband in my pocket with no problem at all. The light itself is BARELY larger than a AA battery. Really you could carry this thing 24x7 and not be inconvenienced at all. The UI on this light is weird. It's not bad and it's quite usable, but you do have to learn it. Still you could carry this headlamp and a couple of spares in a pocket or purse and never know they were there.

The SF Saint Minimus is another terrific headlamp - but it is beyond your budget. (And you'd absolutely have to pack a supply of batteries for it.) It is very comfortable to wear, however, and the UI for it is absolutely intuitive. (It uses CR123a's, so that also doesn't fit your requirements.) If she'll carry the 123a's, they tend to be a more reliable battery - they just store more energy.

If I could also suggest something, it would be that you purchase a small pelican case and fill it full of whatever size batteries she'll need. The pelican cases are compact, waterproof, and indestructable.

sabre7

Enlightened
I highly recommend the BoGo Light SN2-- they are ingenious solar rechargeable lights that use standard replaceable NiMH batteries such as Eneloops, and are designed for use and distribution in 3rd world countries or anywhere else with no shortage of solar power.

They are being used and distributed in Haiti, India, and throughout Africa now. The idea is to buy one and donate another to a needy group/worthy cause.

https://www.bogolight.com/Articles.asp?ID=136

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend the BoGo Light SN2-- they are ingenious solar powered lights that use standard replaceable NiCd batteries such as Eneloops, and are designed for use and distribution in 3rd world countries where there is no shortage of solar power.
They actually use NiMH AA's now. :twothumbs

I have no idea how they'll hold up long term, but, so far, Eneloops seem to be working fine in my SN-2.