Question about Solarforce L2 AA

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Solarforce L2 AA host yesterday at Lighthounds showroom here in Houston. I had planned on using a DX Cree sku#6090 in it not realizing the 6090 is for higher voltage. Is there any way for me to get enough voltage out of 2 aa's to run the DX 6090 or will I need to order another drop-in for it like one that is rated for .8v and up? Also was wondering if you use 2 lithium aa's if you are getting 3v or still just 1.5v. Its my understanding that 2 alkaline aa's only make 1.5v? Are there any echargable aa sized batteries that will increase voltage? Please Help, I'm very confused!!!

PerttiK

Enlightened
The 2 batteries will be in series, 2x1.5v=3V, witch is barely enough.
Energiser lithiums, and other higher voltage AA's woun't probably be enough.
I don't think it will work with any AA batteries to any satisfaction.
You'd be better off finding a low voltage drop in with (0.8V)

shark_za

Enlightened
You could research the use of Li-ion cells, 2x14500's would drive that dropin really well.

Lighthound could sell you AW brand 14500's and a charger setup.

But for simple battery availability and safety they should also stock the 0.8-4.2v Solarforce module.
Rather go for that if you are not sure about voltages and such.

mazingerz9

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I also have the SF L2r, but with the LC-1 drop-in from Lighthound. Link.
It's a great combination, the low is pretty good for everyday around the house, but a bit too bright for night adapted eyes. The high is almost as bright as an R2 running on 18650 on high. Beam pattern is really uniform with a nice small hotspot.

Overall, L2r+LC-1 is a great combination. Hope that helps.

RedFalconBill

Newly Enlightened
Yup, the L2r + the LC-1 Low Voltage is a good combo. You should get around 170 Lumens OTF with 2 AA Lithium Batteries. 140 or so Lumens OTF with 2 AA NiMH.

I went with the 3 mode drop-in, and I have the light set at low (~20 Lumens). Good enough for me to get around the house if the lights go off and it is a AA light, so if I ever loose the NiMH batteries I can trust my wife to pick up the right ones at the store.

Big + for Lighthound.com. Very helpful people.

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to everyone for your hep! Looks like I'll order the .8v low voltage drop in. I'll use the 2 6090's I ordered for my G2 and an old Brinkman maxfire recgargable I have. The guys at Lighthound were a great help and set me up with a 2 CR123 & AA dummy cell for the Brinkman rechargable that is workinf awesome with its stock incan bulb.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guys at Lighthound told me there's know pocket clip nor landyard fitting to the L2r and this looks like a big light! How do you plan to haul it around? I've got to know before I buy.

chiphead...Shopping for my last light.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2R isn't all that big, in my opinion - but I tend to carry it in a bob with other equipment, not just a standalone EDC.

-Trevor

357mag1

Enlightened
PowerGenix 1.6, where did you find these?

chiphead

Thomas Distributing or Amazon are the two places with the best prices I've found so far. Need the charger and I recommend the white (1 hour) charger as it can charge 1,2,3, or 4 cells. The black charger needs pairs.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PowerGenix NiZn AA cell are sold on Amazon. PowerGenix carelessly (or purposefully) confuses the names of its two chargers: Quick Charger and Fast Charger. Get the Quick Charger; as stated above, it can charge 1, 2, 3, or 4 cells at a time. I suspect that it also uses a smarter charging profile that tapers off in a way that helps the cells last for more cycles. The difference in price is only about $5.