Fenix - Advertisement Spelling Fail

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Just noticed an ad for fenix at the top of the Forum which reads: World's Brightness with AA Batteries.

Shouldn't that be brightest?
:poke:

Illum

Flashaholic
To date many of the product literature commonly distributed worldwide between languages require human translations. I cannot speak for other languages but translating Chinese to English to date has not been able to be done in a fluent manner through a computer translator. Any human translation mistakes specifically in keywords are further ruined by spellcheck programs, ones who don't use spell check...well, is then open to interpretation such as "Made in Chna" :ohgeez:

If you look around you, many things have mispelt words in them, this issue shouldn't be placed on fenix alone:shrug:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
To date many of the product literature commonly distributed worldwide between languages require human translations. I cannot speak for other languages but translating Chinese to English to date has not been able to be done in a fluent manner through a computer translator. Any human translation mistakes specifically in keywords are further ruined by spellcheck programs, ones who don't use spell check...well, is then open to interpretation such as "Made in Chna"

I translated this into Chinese using Google Translate, then back into English; here's what it came up with:

"So far the product is usually distributed in many languages around the world literary translation needs of people. I can not speak other languages, but English translation has not yet been able to carry out a smooth translation by computer. Especially in the human translation errors any keyword to further destroy the spell checker, those who do not use spell check ... well, then open the interpretation, such as "Chna create""

Illum

Flashaholic
I translated this into Chinese using Google Translate, then back into English; here's what it came up with:

"So far the product is usually distributed in many languages around the world literary translation needs of people. I can not speak other languages, but English translation has not yet been able to carry out a smooth translation by computer. Especially in the human translation errors any keyword to further destroy the spell checker, those who do not use spell check ... well, then open the interpretation, such as "Chna create""

hmm...interesting, its amazing to see that based on algorithms alone the structure isn't half bad, but nitpicking on grammar tends to open old sores:)

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened
I always wondered if they did it on purpose to avoid false advertising just in case......"what, we never said it was the brightest AA in the world, we only meant theres a world of brightness in our AA torch, sorry u misunderstood"

PBX

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Some of the flashlight companies should start doing their translations using Google Translate because it did a better job than most of the ads and manuals coming from their marketing departments have been able to come up with. :laughing:

hmm...interesting, its amazing to see that based on algorithms alone the structure isn't half bad, but nitpicking on grammar tends to open old sores:)

I don't think it's nitpicking on grammar, but rather that they did not take a couple minutes to have someone who actually speaks fluent English to proofread it. It's not that hard, and it's usually standard practice by US businesses that do international business.

JCD

Enlightened
I don't think it's nitpicking on grammar, but rather that they did not take a couple minutes to have someone who actually speaks fluent English to proofread it. It's not that hard, and it's usually standard practice by US businesses that do international business.

Considering how it is becoming increasingly difficult to find Americans who can fluently and accurately write English, I'm not going to be too critical of foreign companies that fail to notice improper usage in their advertisements.

Last week, I was corresponding with a product manager for an American company, and his poor writing skills left a negative impression of the company. (It didn't help that he couldn't help me with my problem.) Sadly, I would estimate that his writing skills are well above average.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It's completely different to be hard on an individual trying their hardest and a corporation who could easily hire their translations done.

No one cares much about a mistake or two, but when it's hard to read there is really no excuse for it.

JCD

Enlightened
It's completely different to be hard on an individual trying their hardest and a corporation who could easily hire their translations done.

No one cares much about a mistake or two, but when it's hard to read there is really no excuse for it.

If the company cannot be bothered to make sure those employees corresponding with customers are competent writers, what shortcuts are they taking during production of the goods or services they're offering?

Illum

Flashaholic
Considering how it is becoming increasingly difficult to find Americans who can fluently and accurately write English, I'm not going to be too critical of foreign companies that fail to notice improper usage in their advertisements.

Especially with websites like Lolcats polluting the channels in which increasing exposure takes place upon the newer generation I have no doubt this would be the case...but similarly, many Asians aren't exactly supporting the stereotypical genius identities well either:crackup:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to notify Fenixgear who placed the banner but got an error when I clicked on submit.

I then coaxed Fenix's email from a Canadian Fenix importer and notified them. Got this response:
"Dear sender:

Here is Fenix manufacturer in China.

Thank you for your email, here we are on holiday for the Labor Day, we will be back in 4th May, your email will be replied that time.

Best regards! "

It will take some time for the ad to be replaced.

EDIT
UPDATE 2010 May 4
Fenix is back from vacation.
Got this e-mail:
Hello Sir,

Thanks for your valuable information.

We use the "World's brightness with AA battery" , it means world class in brightness, maybe it is a translation from Great Britain English, I asked some customers in UK, they said it is no pro for them to understand, no errors happened according to their opinion.

As Matt says, for North American English, people will mistaken it as World's brightest.
I will ask fenixgear to revise it,

acturally, the TK40 ads is like this:
http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=94

Thanks again for your information.

Peter

Last edited:

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Whenever I find myself laughing unconsciously at Chinese translations into English, I have to remind myself of my knowledge of written Chinese, which is..... nil.

Pot? Kettle?

—Jack. :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Whenever I find myself laughing unconsciously at Chinese translations into English, I have to remind myself of my knowledge of written Chinese, which is..... nil.

Pot? Kettle?

—Jack. :)
No, an instance of the pot calling the kettle black would be if you were a corporation selling lots of product in China and not hiring a Chinese speaker to do your translations for you, all the while complaining about their computer translations into English.

No one here has a problem with cutting slack to an individual struggling with English skills, but I think most of our foreign friends do better in English than the these companies do.