Question on Quark Turbos

Ken2step

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to use 2-14500's in a Turbo AA tube and want to know if the Turbo 123a head will fit on Turbo AA tube? Thanks for any advice!
Ken

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wanting to use 2-14500's in a Turbo AA tube and want to know if the Turbo 123a head will fit on Turbo AA tube? Thanks for any advice!
Ken

The Turbos are lego-compatible with the whole Quark series (except the MiNis) and so the head fits wherever you like! I use an 18650 body on the 123-2, no problem... :wave:

EDIT : I'm doing nothing but nonsense here editing as it seems...

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the Quark heads, tail caps and bodies will lego and the 3-9v head will work with two 14500's:thumbsup:.

Last edited:

Ken2step

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that information! I mistakenly fried a lens by putting in some 14500's so i was thinking about getting a lens for the turbo AA tube that will accommodate either power source.
Ken

Ken2step

Newly Enlightened
Yes I will be watching the voltage very close from here on out. I always got to learn the hard way....lol. I will be marking the heads from here on out.
Ken

Ken2step

Newly Enlightened
It seems maybe I need to learn more on this lego stuff of Quarks. I ordered a 123A head thinking I could use it on a Turbo AA body with 14500 batteries.....the light will only strobe.....so what was my mistake here?? Is it that the tail cap don't like that much voltage since it was made for the AA batteries? What would be the best Quark to use the 14500 x 2 batteries with?
thanks for any advice and knowledge!!
Ken

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems maybe I need to learn more on this lego stuff of Quarks. I ordered a 123A head thinking I could use it on a Turbo AA body with 14500 batteries.....the light will only strobe.....so what was my mistake here?? Is it that the tail cap don't like that much voltage since it was made for the AA batteries? What would be the best Quark to use the 14500 x 2 batteries with?
thanks for any advice and knowledge!!
Ken

When you say 123A, do you mean a single 123 head? i.e., Quark 123 and not Quark 123-2? If so, two 14500's would be too much voltage for that head. You probably know this, but each 14500 has a voltage of 4.2v, so two 14500's in series is 4.2 x 2 = 8.4v, which is too high for the .9v-4.2v head. Two different heads exist for the Quark Regular, Tactical and Turbo. One has a voltage range of .9v-4.2v which means .9v is the lowest this head will work with and 4.2v is the highest. The other head has a voltage range of 3v-9v.

When you said "Turbo 123a" head in your first post, I thought you meant Quark Turbo 123-2 head, since they don't offer a Turbo 123 light or head. If you're not already aware of this, the "123" in the Quark 123-2 and Quark 123 lights stands for the battery type it will accept. e.g., Quark 123-2: the "123" stands for CR123 batteries and the "2" means the light uses two CR123 batteries. So the Quark 123 light only uses one CR123 battery. It's the same thing with the AA based lights. You have the Quark AA which uses one AA battery, while the Quark AA-2 light uses two AA batteries.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh okay, so by mistake you used the damaged AA-2 head again (instead of the 123-2 Turbo head) and got only strobing, and your 123-2 Turbo head is working fine or am I misunderstanding?

Last edited:

Ken2step

Newly Enlightened
Misunderstanding.....The turbo 123-2 head only strobes with the 2-14500 batteries using the turbo AA-2 tail cap. The AA-2 Turbo head is toast! Not in the picture anymore.
I had also ordered a 18650 battery and tube....which i put my Quark Regular AA-2 head and tail cap on and it works very nicely!

edit....also ti-force...I answered your PM earlier....

paulr

Flashaholic
Why on earth do you want to use 2x14500 instead of 1x18650 if you want to run on li ion? A good 18650 has almost 4x the energy capacity of a 14500, is quite a bit shorter than 2x14500, and it can run either of the Quark heads at full brightness.

I've always been leery of 14500's because I figure if I used them in anything, I would eventually put them in the wrong device and end up burning out something that expected normal AA's. It sounds like that is what has happened here. If you have the low voltage head and the 2aa tube and want to use rechargeables, the setup should run fine on two 1.2 volt NiMH cells.

It would sure be nice though if 4x7 could make a Quark head with true universal voltage, everything from 1 volt to 9 volts, instead of having separate low and high voltage heads. The turbo head in particular is fairly large and could presumably accomodate extra electronics. That would get rid of this whole problem.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Misunderstanding.....The turbo 123-2 head only strobes with the 2-14500 batteries using the turbo AA-2 tail cap. ..
I have had this wierd issue a few times when using Turbo battery tubes and it's been due to contact issues at the tailcap end of the tube.

The Turbo tubes are the only ones annodised up onto the tailcap threads and since the tailcap actually makes contact with the corner edge of the end of the battery tube, not on the "flat" (as one would actually expect), the anodising can cause contact issues. Get a knife and run it round the corner (not around the flat) at the top of the thread to ensure there's no anodising getting in the way and then tighten your turbo tailcap and twist-untwist it say ten times to "bed" the seating in and you shoudo find the issue goes away.