Fenix HP10 any good

mustang67ford

Newly Enlightened
Hello, new to the forum. Read many threads on headlamps as I am in the market for a new one. I've been using an energizer F420WB-A for a while now and the battery cap has broken. Therefore, I am looking for a replacement. I do a lot of boating, hiking, hunting, etc. and want a real good headlamp that can take abuse. My price range is around $100. I do not like the PTs as they seam kind of cheap. Think the fenix is the way to go, and bads about this light?

Thanks

vali

Enlightened
Keep in mind that the HP10 uses 4xAA cells in the back of the head, so it can be a con in some situations. There are some info on a new fenix headlamp that will use 2xAA, the HL15 (or it is HP15?)...

BTW it seems that the HP10 is unobtanium nowadays because Fenix is redesigning the switch because some issues. It sould be available again by the end of May.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you should see 4-5 threads listed about the HP10 with the first having over 400 posts in it... ;)

Andrew7

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind that the HP10 uses 4xAA cells in the back of the head, so it can be a con in some situations. There are some info on a new fenix headlamp that will use 2xAA, the HL15 (or it is HP15?)...

BTW it seems that the HP10 is unobtanium nowadays because Fenix is redesigning the switch because some issues. It sould be available again by the end of May.

Most sites were saying march, then April 30 now its the end of May?

I guess it is worth waitng for - looks like a good design.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
I have both the HP10 and the PT Apex 130 lumen. The Fenix wins with runtime (120 for 7 hours) I believe. That's hard to beat. However, the PT wins in every other category including build quality. The battery pack is much much more comfortable and the head has excellent heatsinking. The beam is also more useful for a headlamp in my opinion. It's a nice dispersed yet VERY bright white beam.

Plus, what may be most important is PT's customer service. They just sent me a brand new headlamp for replacement. And they are in the US. Fenix contacts are in China, don't know what I would do if I needed warranty service.

Just my opinion, both great lamps.