What is the latest/newest/ultimate AA dry-sucker?

Face

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering - what is the latest and bestest suck-every-last-drop-from-almost-dead-alkalines-(preferably-without-leaking-and-such-like) light?

I have a huge stack of AA cells - from various work appliances (and they all call AA cells dead at various points in a AA's life cycle) and want to make use of them before throwing them in the trash with my egg-shells and newspapers (just kidding - before I responsibly recycle them :) )

So I was looking for the ultimate AA drainer - I believe the Fenix E01 is pretty much the AAA drainer. Ideally something that leaves the cells reading at least -2.175v on my multimeter would be good :)

Open to suggestions please.

As always, many thanks,

Face

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're using already depleated cells, then I wouldn't suggest anything other than a single AA powered light. You don't want to mix batteries of unknown charge level in one light, especially in a multi-cell light that is exensive. Leaks, venting, and possibly worse will be the result.

Since you're already starting out with the worst power supplies available, alkaline cells, and then going a step lower by using already depleated alkaline cells, I woudn't recommend getting any light that costs more than say $25. That way, when they leak, and you can bet that at least one will on you, you won't break the bank. The Terralux, ITP, or Romisen single AA lights would probably fit the bill.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
As someone who also likes to drain batteries I'm always on the lookout for good light for this task. My best is not so new. It is a Task Force 1AA from Lowe's. They haven't sold it in a few years. What makes it so effective is it's ability to fire up on very low voltage. I've also used my Zebralight, but it will shut down suddenly, and I'm leary of leakage.

Geoff

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nextorch K1 AAA sucks every drop before I pop a new one in and in May 2010 the AA K2 comes out and that may do the same,will let you know as I am buying one when available.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
2x on the gerber. Its also relatively cheap and easily obtainable so its no big loss when your cell leaks and kills it.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suspect the Peak El Capitan at level 1 would be pretty good, however it'll cost ya 50 bucks, so maybe the Gerber Infinity Ultra would be better. I want to say Gerber's Firecracker did pretty good as a vampire.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't tried it yet, but that 1 dollar ebay light is supposed to be a pretty good battery vampire.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Norelco nosehair trimmer is my AA sucker.

dscn2779.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
I built my own circuits to drain F/D/C/AA/AAA/AAAA/N cells...because anyting with a shell that hold the cell in place is an open invitation for a leak. I use magnets soldered onto wires, wanna leak? fine...won't hurt a thing and the tupperware won't mind:D

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get a good old Mini-MagLite then get the Nite-Ize 3-LED drop-in for it. Then I'd make a battery spacer for it to run on one cell. I'm using one of those drop-ins in an old Tekna 1X AA light (modified, of course!) and it'll suck the cells down to less than 0.6V. Imagine what that would do to a pair of AA cells. I've had more batteries leak in my Mini-MagLite with this drop-in than any other light because one of the cells would eventually drop to zero volts and, POP, leak all over the inside of the light. This has happened even with a matched pair of cells that were used together straight from the package to the end.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x on the gerber. Its also relatively cheap and easily obtainable so its no big loss when your cell leaks and kills it.

Another one to look at as it seems to be on a clear out price,I paid $8.95 plus shipping to the UK on a Gerber Firecracker,well built and a nice light for the price.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built my own circuits to drain F/D/C/AA/AAA/AAAA/N cells...because anyting with a shell that hold the cell in place is an open invitation for a leak. I use magnets soldered onto wires, wanna leak? fine...won't hurt a thing and the tupperware won't mind:D
I too build my own circuits to drain my alkies. Its usually in the form of a joule thief with a nichia GS led. I have used cheap $2 for a pack of 3 plastic torches, dorcy frostbite 1AA. Leakage happens but the heads are usually ok. You can just replace the holders. I'd be gutted if I had to keep dead bugging all those bits together for the joule thief.

Looking at modding a mini mag with a E01 pill and a battery spacer though. The E01 is still the best circuit I've seen, followed by the LT3 drop-in for the mag solitare.

Come on Fenix! Make an AA based E01!!