Flashlight for Grandma!

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I need a recommendation.

I was over my grandmother's and noticed that her flashlight was a dollar store special. So I was thinking that for mother's day it would be nice to get her a decent flashlight. It doesn't have to be super high power or anything just better than the double store one. That can't be hard right?.

Would I'm Looking For:
  • It needs to me single mode only. Anything else will confuse her, she won't use it.
  • Common Batteries Only, no C123 or anything of that sort.
  • I doubt she uses it much so long term storage options preferred. Maybe Lithium?
  • I would prefer an old style switch( on the body) instead of a tail switch clicky.
  • Finally, under $100 dollars as cheap as possible.
  • O and rechargeable would be great, but I think that would push me over my price.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend a Surefire 6p bored for 18650 cells, with an LED module. This is the setup I got for my grandparents to use, and they love it. They use it pretty frequently, and the battery only needs charging every 4-6 months. The twist on seems to work well, since it's fairly easy to turn on, even with arthritic hands. (at least this is what I've been told)

JCD

Enlightened
I highly recommend a Surefire 6p bored for 18650 cells, with an LED module. This is the setup I got for my grandparents to use, and they love it. They use it pretty frequently, and the battery only needs charging every 4-6 months. The twist on seems to work well, since it's fairly easy to turn on, even with arthritic hands. (at least this is what I've been told)

If it isn't going to be used often, boring it out for 18650 cells is overkill. 17670 cells fit in the stock 6P.

Even better, 2x IMR16340 or 2x 16340 LiFePO4 cells and a stock SF P60L will work well, be rechargeable, and come in under budget (or just over, depending on choice of cells and charger, and it will still run primaries. The P60L is a much better general purpose LED assembly than most cheap single mode LED drop-ins.

Of course the primaries would be CR123A cells, which are unwanted by the OP.

Note that a 6P for Grandma, even stock, is probably overkill.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
There's a light that fits the purpose perfectly, except for your stipulation that there should not be a tail-switch. It's the Icon Modus.

It takes AA cells, it is a simple on-off, you can use long-life L91 lithium non-rechargeables or NiMH rechargeables (or regular alkalines) and it's cheap.

It's also very easy to handle. It has a curved body, so if it falls over it doesn't make a loud clatter. Because it's 3-sided, it doesn't roll off a table on to the floor. Even if you think the battery is almost dead, you just turn it off and then on again, and you'll have light.

If I still had a Grandma, it's what I would give her. I would not give her rechargeables for it - they're more trouble than old people really want. Give her one of these, and a few L91s to go with it, and she'll be delighted.

jankj

Enlightened
The really though requirement is that you want a side switch.

If you can live with a rear switch, there are tons of really good flashlights. I would recommend a 2*AA from, that is a nice shape to operate and you can run it on regular alkalines, lithium primaries for long run time and 10 year shelf life (those L91 / L92 type of batteries, rated 1.5 volt) or rechargeable (preferably sanoy eneloop or other high quality low self discharge ni-mh batteries).

Your best bet would probably be 47 quark AA^2 tactical that you program to suit her needs. You have two light levels (head tight or head losened about 1/4 turn), and can put them either at the same level (super easy) or put the most used one at the tight setting. I'd choose either the 4 or 22 lumens for the tight setting, and 84 or max (200-ish) lumens for the loose setting. That gives you ridicuosly long run times and still you have maximum power available. Most likely, she won't ever use it at maximum, and certainly not if her hands are not that good. That's $59 minus cpf discount (8%), shipping included.

I really like the quark mini interface (low - medium - high, low always comes on first). In my opinion, that interface can be used by anyone: Hit the switch => light. Hit the switch some more => more light. Very Granny friendly. Unfortunately, most multi-mode lights are more complex than this. Such as blinking disco modes, which probably is the last thing Granny wants her flashlight to do. This is why I wouldn't recommend the regular quark or fenix light in 2*AA shape (possible exception for the fenix TK20, which is a very comfortable size for a light that is supposed to be on a shelf or in a bag: Big yellow rubber hand grip makes it easy to see, beefy and comfortable grip. But the tiny hot spot is uncomfortable for up-close work and the 5 hour run time at "medium" isn't what I would want Granny to have)).

If Granny has good hands the quark mini AA is an excellent light to carry on your person, but not if she has trouble with finger dexterity. My mother will get one of these with a bright yellow lanyard for her purse, but she's quite agile. A 2*AA light with a tail switch is slim and small enough to fit any purse or pocket, but much easier to find and operate with gloves and/or reduced finger dexterity.

Last edited:

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
A couple I found while browsing on brightguy. The side switch is difficult to find.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Bright_Star_Razor_LED_Flashlight.php
This one runs on 3 AA rated at 60 lumens. Looks like direct drive so lithium batteries are out.
Available in bright green and orange which might be helpful.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/DeWALT_2AA_LED_Flashlight_DPGA-2AA.php
A Dewalt 2AA light with side switch. Don't know whether you could use lithiums in this one.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Energizer_Industrial_1_Watt_LED_Flashlight_IN2DLED.php
A 2D Energizer.

I don't own any of these lights, they are just a few I found that come close to your requirements.

ragweed

Enlightened
My Granny still uses an Energizer Compact I bought her 3 years ago.Sliding copper switch. Bombproof from being dropped a half dozen times. 4 AA cells last a very long time! I think around 15 bucks from Energizer Direct. Output is around a 2 D cell flashlight. Rubber housing to protect it from dropping & single on/off mode. The above 2 D cell Energizer looks good as well & should work for her.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just gave my aunt the 2AA LED Mini Maglite in my laptop bag when she mentioned that she didn't have any good flashlights around. It's easy to use, simple, candle mode could come in handy, and with Energizer Lithiums, storing it with batteries won't be a problem (since a lot of people tend to do that).

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Modded a 2 AA maglight for my mom a few years back and she loves it.

Installed a direct drive Luxeon from an old busted up CMG Reactor and loaded it with lithium primaries.

Great brightness, runtime and shelf life (for the technology of the time, and my first mod).

I agree with DM51. The Icon is a great, simple and affordable light.

It's great you're doing this for your grandmother :twothumbs. That's cool beyond all measure!

mfm

Enlightened
I gave my grandma a UniqueFire AA-S1 yesterday, she was very happy with it.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my Grandmother a Fenix E01. She wore it around her neck on a chain. AAA powered and always there when needed. Of course for outdoor use or for lighting up a room or hallway something a little more powerful like a 6P platform with decent drop in LED.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 91 and all throughout my life and until her dying day *always* kept a 2 D cell flashlight by her bed for when she had to go to the bathroom at night. She was the first true flashaholic in my family!

She only had cheap Eveready 2 D cell flashlights for most of her life. They were affordable and convenient. She eventually replaced them though because she had a very hard time turning them on when she got older. The slide switches plus the smooth metal (later models were plastic) body made it very difficult to turn on and off. The last flashlight that she used was a Durcell Durabeam because it had an easier to grip outer surface, but the slide switch was small and hard for her to turn on and off.

You might want to seriously think about the "grippiness" of the body and how difficult the switch is to turn on and off before you make a purchase. Unfortunately, with the limited selection of flashlights available at most local vendors, it's hard to test drive any flashlight before you buy one. My grandmother had problems with those issues as she got older and she didn't even have any problems with joints or arthritis.

I was going to suggest a Fenix TK20 because of its wonderful rubber grip, but it has a tailcap switch and you wanted a side switch. You might want to try wrapping the body of the flashlight that you do eventually buy with grip tape like what you'd find in a sporting goods store for tennis rackets if she has problems holding her new light securely.

Last edited:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
There's a light that fits the purpose perfectly, except for your stipulation that there should not be a tail-switch. It's the Icon Modus.

It takes AA cells, it is a simple on-off, you can use long-life L91 lithium non-rechargeables or NiMH rechargeables (or regular alkalines) and it's cheap.

It's also very easy to handle. It has a curved body, so if it falls over it doesn't make a loud clatter. Because it's 3-sided, it doesn't roll off a table on to the floor. Even if you think the battery is almost dead, you just turn it off and then on again, and you'll have light.

If I still had a Grandma, it's what I would give her. I would not give her rechargeables for it - they're more trouble than old people really want. Give her one of these, and a few L91s to go with it, and she'll be delighted.
Totally agree, and or the Icon as well, straightforward no extravagant modes with a nice high and low and compatible with standard Lithium cells. I also like the Jetbean Jet1 Pro or the with the warmer tint or the JB 2XAA Jet Pro X and I think that Jetbeam's Element is a great straightforward user as well.

Peak Lights are really nice with the 2XAA body but you have to be careful because if you get the highest power lights, they can get hot really fast which may not be adviseable for an older person.

I gave my Mom a Jetbeam for around the house and a small peak Matterhorn for her keychain and the 2XAA Icon's/Modus are my next choices for her to have in various rooms in the house for their output, simplicity, and runtime.

motorwerks

Newly Enlightened
More people should think about lights for their grandparents!

I agree.

My Grandma LOVES Her 2D Maglights. I bought her a purple one a few years ago and then she adopted a couple of my old ones. She has like 3 of them through out her place. Shes now moving into a place with my mom and Moms has a 2d or two as well!!! I may think about throwing LEDS into one or two and see how she likes them.