An EDC Story - Goodbye P1D and welcome SC50

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
I have not posted for quite a while so please bear with me...

First a little about my outgoing EDC:
I have been using the Fenix P1D Q5 for the last 2 1/2 years and have been very pleased with the dependability of the Fenix. This light has never let me down. The P1D twisty UI was very reliable, and the high mode was plenty bright for an EDC. I used LiFePo4 which has lower voltage than standard 3.7 RCR123A, allowed me to have all the different modes. I used the Fenix "crab claw", and the light was always attached to my front right belt loop.

However, after 2 1/2 years, I am ready for a change as my EDC needs grew. Like every light out there, the P1D had some cons:
(1) The low mode was way too high (16 lumens) and I needed something much less.
(2) Even though very reliable, all twisty's need regular maintenance (i.e cleaning the contacts, lubing the treads for smooth action)
(3) Need multiple twist to go to low mode. Fenix did the right thing by starting the first mode with the most used mode. However, I was starting to use the low mode much more and it was a hassle going through the other modes to get there.

So after much research (thanks to all CPFers posting on this forum), I wanted a light that had the following:
(1) A low low mode ( < than 1 lumen).
(2) Zero maintainence (almost)
(3) About the same size as the P1D but use more common AA (e.g other contenders like Quark mini AA & Nitecore EZAA, etc)
(4) Ability to access different modes easily/quickly (without running through a whole bunch of sequences)
(5) An electronic clicky (without the possible issues of switches failing because of high current)
(6) A side clicky (ok that really narrows down the selection!)
(7) EDC the same way as the P1D (my front belt loop)

$60 later, the Zebralight SC50 arrvied last week. WOW! I am very impressed with the light. The UI IMO is the best of any I have seen out there for an EDC. This light is actually quite small at 80mm and it feels just right in my hand (I'm 5'10"). I think any shorter and it would not feel as secure as I might not be able to hold it as right.

DSCF1133.jpg

DSCF1135.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

As an EDC the light (like the P1D) had to be quick to access. The P1D hung from my belt loop. Well the SC50 also hangs from my belt loop via the clip - and I think the setup is even better since it attaches securely and doesn't flop around, at the same time giving instant access to light on demand.

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1139.jpg

The high setting at 122 lumens (OTF), it is only very slightly dimmer than the P1D but not very noticable. 122 lumens is plenty bright for an EDC everyday use. If I need more light, it would typically not be an EDC situation which allows me to plan ahead and will be taken care of by my 3200 lumen N30 HID! Here are some beam shots between the P1d and SC50. Sorry! I am not very good at taking beamshots:

DSCF1140.jpg

SC50 122 lumens (left) P1D 96 lumens (right)

DSCF1148.jpg

SC50 122 lumens (left) P1D 190 lumens (right)

For size comparisons, I borrowed a buddy's SC30. Here is the Sc50 and Sc30 side by side:

DSCF1149.jpg

DSCF1150.jpg

I use LSD Nimh in these. The difference between the rated 193 lumen (using a li-ion 14500) and the 122 lumens (using Nimh or alkalines) isn't all that much (I do not have a 14500). You could see the difference on a white wall, but in real life applications, the difference is very subtle. I think I would just stick with the Nimh - since I don't have any 14500 and don't need to spend more on batteries. The added plus too is that running the Nimh should run the light cooler (drawing about 1.1 amps at 1.2 volts) and thus be able to leave it on longer without worries of overheating. Here are some beam shots with the Sc50 (Nimh) and Sc30 (3.0 V Primary Lithium) side by side::

DSCF1152.jpg

SC50 122 lumens (left) SC30 193 lumens (right)

DSCF1153.jpg

SC50 122 lumens (left) Sc30 105 lumens (right)

Now here's the top 2 main reasons why I switch. The Low low is perfect. 0.7 lumnes is great especially if your eyes are already adapted to the darkness. It is also useful when I need to move around in a dark bedroom without waking up or blinding someone else. The 5 lumen low is set well too, coming in useful for especially for very close range (e.g checking out tiny serial numbers on equipment in low light). The middle settings are very well spaced 22 & 38 for general purpose mid distance usage. The strobe frequency is too slow IMO. I think it should be the same frequency as the P1D (~ 5 HZ). I am glad there is no other modes like SOS (which never gets used for me). As mentioend, the high mode is plenty bright at 122 lumens - great for mid - to longer range applications and comparable to the old P1D mid mode.

The Side clicky is the best thing. This feature alone got me sold to this light. Most single AA lights have clickies in the rear and egonomically, it does not feel as nice as holding the light standard flashlight style. The electronic clicky only saps 5.6 micro amps according to the specs (mine measured only 2 microamps!), so the parasitic drain would be measured in decades! I like the electronic clicky as it does not handle high current like majority of lights with clickies (over 1 amp in high mode), so there is less chance of switch failure. The clicky feels very nice and operates well with either my thumb or index finger. The clicks are sure and precise and compared to a standard clicky, it's is very quiet.

The operation is also very simple. I could access all the 3 levels (low mid or high) from off without running through a whole bunch of sequence. So when off, a short click gives me high, double click gives medium and a click and hold gives me low. When in any mode, a double click switches to the other sub-level. A press and hold ramps through the modes low to high. It took me a while to perfect the timing for turning on the low mode (the press and hold has to be quite precise) but otherwise, the rest of the UI is real easy to use.

Overall, this light breaks the norm with the electronic side clicky and instant access to all the modes. As for me, it's turning out to be the perfect EDC.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Great story and mini-review! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna have to take a second look at those zebralights. They look great and the UI sounds awesome, similar to the Ra clicky. Thanks!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics and review I also started with the SC50 and liked it so much I got a SC50W, it is my first warm emitter and the warm tint is so nice. I think if you got a 14500 in their you would really appreciate it it is much brighter with it and it really does not get that hot.

That would make me nervous carrying on a belt loop like you do maybe you can put that Fenix claw on with the split ring on the clip.

Your right any smaller and I would not feel comfortable with it, that's how small it is I actually just deep carry mine in my pocket and don't even feel it rubbing my leg. I also agree with the UI it's the best in the business it may take a bit of time getting use to it, getting the timing down right when you turn it on and want low and not high without skipping to medium.

Thanks for your input I'm sure it may help others decide if this is a light for them or not, my suggestion is it probably is a light for all. :)

jag-engr

Enlightened
Awesome story! I've been considering getting one of the Zebralight flashlights myself, and I really enjoyed your perspective.

For me, the SC50 includes a major design improvement (no fins beneath clip), it uses a common battery, and the slightly longer length will likely make it easier to use.

The SC30's main advantage, IMO, is that there is an alternate high that is not a strobe. I hate strobes.

I'm thinking, though, that I'll end up going with the SC50, despite it's strobe.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks jhc37013! I mainly wear jeans most of the time, and the belt loops are typically thicker than say the ones on dress pants. I do move around a lot and so far, the SC50 has been very secure.

Even with my P1D, I rarely used the high - I find for most applications, the sub 100 lumen range was pretty decent. Will consider the 14500 one day when I need that extra boost!.

Nice pics and review I also started with the SC50 and liked it so much I got a SC50W, it is my first warm emitter and the warm tint is so nice. I think if you got a 14500 in their you would really appreciate it it is much brighter with it and it really does not get that hot.

That would make me nervous carrying on a belt loop like you do maybe you can put that Fenix claw on with the split ring on the clip.

Your right any smaller and I would not feel comfortable with it, that's how small it is I actually just deep carry mine in my pocket and don't even feel it rubbing my leg. I also agree with the UI it's the best in the business it may take a bit of time getting use to it, getting the timing down right when you turn it on and want low and not high without skipping to medium.

Thanks for your input I'm sure it may help others decide if this is a light for them or not, my suggestion is it probably is a light for all. :)

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review - very practial sharing of knowledge. It sounds like a great light. Side clickies are my favorite too. I appreciate the "how does it actually work" perspective rather than a concentration on what emitter it has, or how hard the annodizing is, etc. I like having an EDC that uses LSD NiMH AA's. I'm very impressed with the ZL H50 headlamp I got, and this looks like another winner from Zebralight.

FlameOn

Enlightened
I was all set to get a a AAA Maratac and now this came along....cursed web with and it's information overload....grrrrrrrrrr.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with my P1D, I rarely used the high - I find for most applications, the sub 100 lumen range was pretty decent. Will consider the 14500 one day when I need that extra boost!.

Your right LiteShow it really does a wonderful job on AA it kind of surprised me how bright and drop in a Energizer lithium and you have a super light long lasting high output pocket light, the 14500 is just a good bonus.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
Some good insights here, and I appreciate you taking the time to share them. I was planning on waiting for the H51, but now I'm wondering if I should get an SC50W to.

To be honest I've been a little surprised that the SC line from Zebralight hasn't made more of an impact here at CPFs.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I've been a little surprised that the SC line from Zebralight hasn't made more of an impact here at CPFs.

There is plenty of threads about the ZL flashlights and really I think people may have been waiting to see what other members thought through reviews and threads just like this. I think the buzz will only continue to grow as good as the light seems to be.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
My guess it's because Zebralight is more known for their headlamps products rather than their flashlights.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time seeing these, I really like them. I have a ZL headlamp, I may need to try one of these out.

hazna

Enlightened
Its a nice light! My only minor gripe with it is, I wish there was a 'lower high' when it runs on 14500 batteries. Something around the 90-120 lumens mark, would be good. There is not much of a difference between the medium modes, IMO you could get rid of one of the medium modes, shift strobe to medium, and introduce a 'lower high'

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a nice light! My only minor gripe with it is, I wish there was a 'lower high' when it runs on 14500 batteries. Something around the 90-120 lumens mark, would be good. There is not much of a difference between the medium modes, IMO you could get rid of one of the medium modes, shift strobe to medium, and introduce a 'lower high'

I agree it's pretty close to perfect but a lower high instead of the strobe would be icing on the cake. Much like the H60 has two levels of high I wish the SC50 did instead of 1 high and 1 strobe. In fact I would like it to be default high to 90-100 lumens and the double click to the highest output.

Then also have mode memory on high instead of just low and medium and that would satisfy users who either prefer the high to be 100 or 190 lumen.

Having said this I still believe it to be the best UI out there, that and the Jetbeam selector ring on the Raptor models.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the SC50 and it really is a super little light. Lightweight. Simple UI with good spacing and plenty bright. The tint on mine is very neutral, slightly to the warm side. No blue or green. The beam is very smooth. No rings or artifacts. I wouldn't consider it a rough usage light, but for light edc I think it's the best. I like it a lot better than the D10, which I didn't think was possible.

I still carry the HDS when possible, but with slacks or other lightweight clothing the SC50 disappears.

Vesper

Enlightened
Nice hands-on review - thank you. I'm going to pick up one of these in neutral. The usual nice ZL finish, the side button, the great UI and the tint have me sold.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC it's illumination gear.

They offer the same price & free shipping like ZL, but they also give you a 8% refund.