quickly becoming a flashaholic. Which LED lights to add?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to add more LED lights to start a collection. My first light was a Fenix LD20 R4. I thought that would be great for everyday use and I already had eneloops for the batteries. It is great for around the house and office. I find myself wanting more lights for more purposes. I would like to keep each light under $125 if possible.

This is what I need and what I am thinking of buying:

1) a small light for my pocket (I'm thinking Quark mini 123)?
2) Lights to use around the house (Eagletec T20C2, Olight M20 R5)?
3) light to keep in my laptop case (Fenix Tk11 or LD20 R4)?
4) Lights to use outside on a multi acre property (Fenix Tk12, Olight M21, MG RX-1 (shiningbeam.com) )

I don't care what they are made of and want to stay smaller then the 6.5" or so. I would like run time of at least 1 hour on high (I think the Quark mini is slightly less). I would like more of a floody light for inside and more of a thrower for outside. If I get some of the above lights, I will end up with lights that use AA, CR123A, and 18650 batteries. Has anyone found this to be an issue to have lights that take so many different types of batteries? Do the above sound like reasonable choices? Am I missing something I should be looking at?.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
no one answered yet?

i will try to confuse you then.. ;)

what you are missing: hmm... i think you are on right track.

something very small: 47s mini is good for that. (or even smaller preon or itp a3)

around the house: batterytype you have easily available or plenty of.

i like mines to have very low output and floody if possible. read zebralight h501. (which reminds me.. what you are missing. a headlamp. either dedicated one or the h501/h30 type that is versatile closeup task light)

i use mostly inside the house or trashcan duty: h501, itp c8t, nitecore ex10, all can go low and ramp up if needed. (if im going out for longer time or to do something or to look for something i take bigger ones (too))

laptopcase bag light: would be nice if it would use the same batterytype as your main edc light (like the miniaa might be) only need one type of spare batteries or can harvest batteries from the "big" light to smaller one if needed.

the backyard sweeper: good to have. i have tk11 (my first ledlight that started this spiral of ledholism) for throw. and rx1 mce for flooding the area.. (others too but thats besides the point as these two are the ones i take with me if i need to look around into more distance.)

i would try to avoid buying lights that are very similar (tk11 and tk12 are still very similar to each other) i rather advice you to pick either definately separate indetity lights for different tasks (flooder and thrower) or two of same. (easy and intuitive to use.)

about having different type of lights in your arsenal: more than once i have ran into "problems" grapping a light and pausing momentarily to think "was this twisty or clicky. did this had reverse clicky or momentary cliky.. was this the multimode or the single mode.. does this ramp down and blind me as i go or did this ramp up.." thats why its good to have separate different looking "favorite" lights that you recognize with ease and know how they operate without thinking.. (if you only end up having 5 lights total this is non-issue, as you will remeber them all.. when you go up in numbers it might get confusing if you dont always fiddle with them)

about battery choices: i got them all myself also. so that if i run out of one type i have other lights that use different battery type. and the 18650 lights i got to get longer runtimes. if i somehow end up running out of AAs i can still fall back for the little or non used cr123 lights (long shelflife)

versatility is nice. but nowdays, i have gone almost completely to using only one size of battery.. AA.. in lithium, alkaline, li-ion and mostly nimh format.

i still have the others to fall back on if the need arises.. more output or longer runtime needed. or just the longer frame of light.. as in long continuing use it gets tiring to use a small light.. its easier to carry longer light (like 2aa or 18650 size lights instead of 1AAA or 1AA)

having and keeping different types and sizes of lights is also for the sake of hobby collecting.. need to have them! haha.

same goes with different UI in them.. i tried different things to learn what i like and what i dont like. what works in which tasks.

i normally carry all types with me.. i have carried atleast 3 lights on me everyday past 6 months.. one tactical, one twisty and one that can be what ever i like.. reverse clicky, tactical, twisty. when i need it i just try to pick the one out of my pockets i think might be the optimal one for that particular task.

burntoshine

Enlightened
have you given any thought to a liteflux LF2XT? it's my favorite flashlight, period. liteflux flashlights have the best beams i've seen. they're a nice mix of flood and throw. the hotspot blends nicely into the spill. i always keep mine clipped to the inside of my right pocket. read up on it here and see if it's something you might like.

i also like the quark mini 123 for a pocket light. i carry both (LF2XT and mini) with me everywhere. the mini sits at the bottom of my right pocket with my wallet.

for outside i have a eagletac m2sc4 and a fenix tk20.

...just my 2 cents.

it's hard to go wrong with flashlights; so many different features and designs and whatnot. it took me a few years before i realized what a really like. many purchases and then selling ones i didn't like on the marketplace.

good luck!

utlgoa

Enlightened
Gotta get lights:

Led Lenser P7, 14, 17, X21
Thrunite Catapult
Ultrafire RL-2008
Malkoff (fill in the name)
Elektrolumen (Fill in the name)
Aspheric Flashlight (I hear OMG Deft is the best)
Olight SR90
4Sevens (Fill in the name)
Flydragon SST-90 (no one here has one yet, you can be the first!)

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF - you'll love it here.

As for lights - don't miss out on the quality of a Peak.

P1010619-1.jpg

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it hard to believe no one has yet mentioned the Surefire 6P or C2-HA, you must have one of them. You can make it throwy ,flood or a combo (read Malkoff M61) simply by changing the drop-in, and the quality is tops.
You also need to start thinking M@g hotwire :devil:.

bullettproof

Enlightened
I find it hard to believe no one has yet mentioned the Surefire 6P or C2-HA, you must have one of them. You can make it throwy ,flood or a combo (read Malkoff M61) simply by changing the drop-in, and the quality is tops.
You also need to start thinking M@g hotwire :devil:.

C2-HA with M61 great light:party:

nbp

Flashaholic
And something from HDS/Ra lights. Since getting my clicky I've decided everyone needs one. There's a reason there's nine parts to the clicky thread!

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
If I get some of the above lights, I will end up with lights that use AA, CR123A, and 18650 batteries. Has anyone found this to be an issue to have lights that take so many different types of batteries? Do the above sound like reasonable choices? Am I missing something I should be looking at?.

I'd commit to all Li-Ion rechargeables, and lights that can utilize them so 14500 (AA), RCR123, and 18650, then get a PILA IBC charger.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
:welcome:

Go for the gusto and get the good stuff!

Novatac 120P or Ra Clicky EDC Executive
Surefire e2L

AusKipper

Enlightened
I'm looking to add more LED lights to start a collection. My first light was a Fenix LD20 R4. I thought that would be great for everyday use and I already had eneloops for the batteries. It is great for around the house and office. I find myself wanting more lights for more purposes. I would like to keep each light under $125 if possible.

4) Lights to use outside on a multi acre property (Fenix Tk12, Olight M21, MG RX-1 (shiningbeam.com) )

I don't care what they are made of and want to stay smaller then the 6.5" or so. I would like run time of at least 1 hour on high (I think the Quark mini is slightly less). I would like more of a floody light for inside and more of a thrower for outside. If I get some of the above lights, I will end up with lights that use AA, CR123A, and 18650 batteries. Has anyone found this to be an issue to have lights that take so many different types of batteries? Do the above sound like reasonable choices? Am I missing something I should be looking at?.

for point 4, i would change your current ones (as they dont need to be pocketable) and replace them with:
Fenix TK40 or Fenix TK30 or Olight M30 or Olight SR90, or leaving the LED side of things: Modded maglight (Mag85 etc). You need something big and bright :p

I personally own the TK40 of those, and love it.

fishhead41h

Newly Enlightened
Checkout Bugout Gear, for a Jetbeam Pro III ST with 18650's, great throw, small size and 20% discount for CPF members!! John

stallion2

Enlightened
if you want a light that covers alot of acreage then the M21 might not be the best choice...its a great light, lots of flood but not much reach if that matters. the Catapult is a great light for open areas. the throw is astonishing but there is still enough spill so see a fairly wide swath of space at mid range.

if you want to cover that many different niches in lights and be budget conscious then Dereelight would be a great choice. one DBS, a couple reflectors, a couple pills, and maybe even an extra head for quickly changing out one light for another is an awesome approach.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Go for the gusto and get the good stuff!

Novatac 120P or Ra Clicky EDC Executive
Surefire e2L

+1 Novatac 120P, current EDC and i love it!

how about a headlamp for hands free use? check out zebralights for a wide range.

for illuminating large areas, maybe a TK40, Olight S90, maybe even an M1X. Budget option might be the MG RX-1 (smallest one too). I own an RX-1 (since given to my brother and it illuminates very well 50 metres is not a problem for it)

Perfectful

Banned
I think a small light for your pocket you can choose Fenix E01,it is small ,the [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dimensions (D*L): 14.0*71.0mm,but ,it use one 1.5AAA battery,the price is under $20.the quality is Ok !

[/FONT]

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) a small light for pocket (Quark mini 123)
2) Lights to use around the house (Quark 2AA Tac)
3) light to keep in laptop case (Quark 2-123 Tac)?
4) Lights to use outside on a multi acre property (Fenix TK40 or Olight M30)
:)

joe1512

Enlightened
How bout a keychain light?

That covers many of your use-cases and you will always have it with you.

For a mere 32 bucks, you can get an itp A1 stainless steel. With an RCR123 battery which you can top off at any time, you will get a 3,30,200 lumen mode. (probably more due to higher voltage RCR123). As a twisty it won't come on in your pocket.
1 hour runtime on high which is plenty.

A longer, narrower form factor is a 1xAA itp A2 (using a 14500 battery to boost the brightness).

Then, all you need is a big light that produces 400+ lumens for camping, exploring, etc. There are lots of good ones in that category.

shark_za

Enlightened
You got a good start, I like comparing everything to the LD20 as a yardstick.
Its a good solid light. Some will be better and most will be worse.

Outdoor work needs a big floody type (MC-E/P7) and a thrower (SST-50/XR-E with optics).
Both come in handy on occasion.

Other uses I have
Tactical light
EDC light
Headlamp

But they again sometimes it makes no sense and you just buy all the products of one company just to see what they are about. ;)
Enjoy and don't worry about it too much.