Mothers day flashlight?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Can anyone make any good recomendations? Mothers day is just around the corner (Sunday, May 8th). And I want to get her a nice flashlight, instead of the 99 cent incan lights she has :sick2:. She is well aware of my flashaholicism, and I want to get her something that a non-flashaholic would be impressed by. I would like for it to meet the following qualifications:

• Around $30
  • Takes disposable Alkalines, or has self contained charging dock or plug
  • Not to big (D Maglite)
  • Not to small (MiniMag AA or AAA)
  • relatively long runtime, so preferable LED
  • Single mode, or twisty mode selection. (No SOS, and No strobe, Just Hi, Lo, and maybe Med.)
  • More flood, less through

I would prefer to not order off of DX or KD, because it wont ship in time.

I was thinking of this, but its kinda big. I have bought the x6 AAA version of this off of DX and I would have to say it outputs about 200 lumens (compared to my R2 Ultrafire 501). It floods like no other. virtually no throw.

41fB754yjrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or this?

318MwLwydSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was also thinking about maybe getting a shake-light.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was buying for my mother and not knowing how old your mother is I would be looking for a AA cell light with one good mode only and a clicky switch.

That keeps it nice simple and bright and put a Lithium in it for her so avoiding date issues and longer runtime.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
My mom is only 50, and I don't think lithium is the appropriate battery choice on the grounds that she would be to lazy to charge it, not know how to charge, or she might put the batteries in reverse etc. Lithium's are not that user friendly or forgiving.

UNLESS

The lithium's don't have to be removed to charge, and that the charger plugs into the light, or even better, the light goes on a charging dock.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom is only 50, and I don't think lithium is the appropriate battery choice on the grounds that she would be to lazy to charge it, not know how to charge, or she might put the batteries in reverse etc. Lithium's are not that user friendly or forgiving.

UNLESS

The lithium's don't have to be removed to charge, and that the charger plugs into the light, or even better, the light goes on a charging dock.

Was not thinking about a recharge type but a Lithium Energizer for example with a 10 to 15 year shelf life,lighter and work better in colder weather

upriver

Newly Enlightened
Although smaller than what you would like, I got my mother a Fenix L1T, and an L2T would work good as well. Simple 2 mode clicky light.

I also like the Taskforce 2C, though it's quite bright (150 lumens) and has a runtime of only 2.5 hours; also, it is mostly throw.

How about upgraded Romisen RC-N3 from Shiningbeam (I've ordered from them; more reliable, I believe, than DX).
This one has 2-modes: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-214/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-II/Detail
- It comes with 2AA tube and 1xCR123a tube (which you don't have to use).
- Romisen lights have worked well for me as far as cheaper lights go.

nbp

Flashaholic
The nbp PSA:

GIVE HER SOME BATTERIES WITH THE LIGHT OR IT MAY NOT BE USED.

:rolleyes:

JCD

Enlightened
Whatever you get her, make sure it comes with a bouquet of flowers. And, if you get her an LED light, make sure the flowers are blue and white, in case she wants to see them with her flashlight.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Although smaller than what you would like, I got my mother a Fenix L1T, and an L2T would work good as well. Simple 2 mode clicky light.

I also like the Taskforce 2C, though it's quite bright (150 lumens) and has a runtime of only 2.5 hours; also, it is mostly throw.

How about upgraded Romisen RC-N3 from Shiningbeam (I've ordered from them; more reliable, I believe, than DX).
This one has 2-modes: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-214/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-II/Detail
- It comes with 2AA tube and 1xCR123a tube (which you don't have to use).
- Romisen lights have worked well for me as far as cheaper lights go.
The above are the best pieces of advice given in this thread so far. Any of those lights would do nicely. :thumbsup:

Key is to avoid the cheaply made "shower-head" lights (typically poor quality, burn-out quickly, direct-drive with no regulation, single-mode, etc, etc.). I also don't recommend the Fenix E20 since it it is single-output only (and too bright for a lot of around-the-house tasks). The RC-N3 from Shiningbeam or Fenix L2T are your best bets.

You can see all the above compared in my 2xAA round-up thread.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think the fenix e20 is a nice choice.

I also think a magled could be good.

Third choice might be a duracell daylite. Older people/non-flashaholics might appreciate the recognized brand and the side switch. It comes in a AA,C and D cell option.

I could see someone liking the romisen rc-29 too. She probably wouldn't use the focus very much or at all, but she would love the flood setting for around the house.