Some total noob questions

mikefish

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

A couple of quick questions from a total beginner to LED flashlights.

1 x 3.0v battery is 3v.
2 x 3.0v = 6.0 volts correct ?

A bulb with a range of voltages eg...
3.7-18V
Will it be brighter running more volts up to the max of 18 (assuming 6 x 3.0v = 18v)

If not brighter than what is the advantage / disadvantage to running high volts, or is it just to give a wider range of battery combinations ?

100~200 Lumens

When a range of lumens is given for a 1 mode LED (and i understand the Lumens figure is often overstated) does that mean approx 100 lumens at 3.7v upto 200 lumens at 18 volt ?

What happens if a 3.0v battery is placed in a flashlight with a 3.7v minimum rateing, bulbs runs dimmer and longer ?

and if i put a bulb with an upper limit of say 4 volt in a torch with 2 x 3.0 lithiums = 6.0volt Ill fry it ?

thanks in advance for any answers comments

StarHalo

Flashaholic
1 x 3.0v battery is 3v.

Discounting a bit of internal resistance and load sag, yes, it'll be near 6v

3.7-18V
Will it be brighter running more volts up to the max of 18 (assuming 6 x 3.0v = 18v)

A bare incandescent bulb or unregulated LED, yes. If it is regulated (meaning electronics control battery draw), no.

When a range of lumens is given for a 1 mode LED (and i understand the Lumens figure is often overstated) does that mean approx 100 lumens at 3.7v upto 200 lumens at 18 volt ?

If unregulated, yes. Regulated, no.

What happens if a 3.0v battery is placed in a flashlight with a 3.7v minimum rateing, bulbs runs dimmer and longer ?

If unregulated, the bulb will be dim. If regulated (or most LEDs), it will not light.

and if i put a bulb with an upper limit of say 4 volt in a torch with 2 x 3.0 lithiums = 6.0volt Ill fry it ?

You'll be overdriving the bulb, so it will be brighter, but with much shorter life (if it doesn't pop instantly)

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.

A couple of quick questions from a total beginner to LED flashlights.

1 x 3.0v battery is 3v.

Yes, if they are wired in series. The voltage will be doubled and the current capacity will be the same as one battery.

If they are wired in parallel the voltage would be 3.0 V and the current capacity would be doubled.

3.7-18V

If not brighter than what is the advantage / disadvantage to running high volts, or is it just to give a wider range of battery combinations ?

It depends on what you are referring to. If you are looking at specs on a led flashlight and it mentions 3.7-18V it's talking about the driver and what kind of input voltage it can handle.

This would just indicate the various kinds of batteries you could use to power that light. I can't answer for anything other than led's but an led isn't going to have that kind of range for the led itself...it would burn the led up.

100~200 Lumens
No. As mentioned an led isn't going to have that kind of voltage range. The driver circuit may have that kind of range and that would only have to do with which batteries can be used.

If you see a range like that it either means it's just an estimation or it means it is dependent on what battery source you are using.

thanks in advance for any answers comments
I can only answer for leds. The led probably wouldn't come on and in the case of 6V, yes it would fry it unless the driver was a constant current driver in which case the led would only see whatever the constant current rating of the driver is.

Last edited: