4Sevens MiNi CR2 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens MiNi CR2 - Submitted for consideration for the review forum.

This recent entry by 4Sevens into the heavily populated EDC Market expands their existing Q MiNi line to include the tiny CR2 cell that has been growing in popularity as LEDs become more efficient.

4Sevens Q MiNi CR2

Meat and Potatoes

The Q MiNi CR2 is really just another optional power source package for the acclaimed electronics of the rest of the Q MiNi line (as well as the Preon line). 4Sevens continues to find useful methods of repurposing their design into all manner of lights. However, don't be fooled, that's not a bad thing. The net result is that the cost savings of mass producing a universal driver are then passed down to you, the consumer. The entire Q MiNi line are affordable entry level lights that use the latest in emitter technology in a big way.

The use of a CR2 cell in these little pocket rockets gives them a full 3V power source, the same as the venerable CR123 cell, however the reduction in cell size has been fully taken advantage of, as the MiNi CR2 is one of the smallest torches I have ever seen. It never fails to draw comments about how so small a flashlight could possibly put out such a bright 180 Lumen beam. That beam is incredibly useful as well. The combination of a small, textured reflector and the larger LED die of the Cree XP-G create a perfectly flawless very floody beam that works wonders for close to medium range illumination.

Cree XP-G

Being almost an identical light to the rest of the MiNi line, there isn't much to say that hasn't been said. This light is a combination of a fairly useful UI that sticks with just the basics of "Low", "Medium", and "High" (unless you specifically are looking for more), and an incredibly small and pocketable size.

4Sevens Q MiNi CR2

Constructive Criticism

Again, due to the similarities to the rest of the MiNi line my points of recommendation also remain quite predictable. As useful as the simplistic 3 mode UI is, I still find myself wondering whether it could be made better. Power cycling works in a pinch as a method of mode change, but I continue to wonder whether a "Twist further to increase" type interface could be implemented with a 3 stage light. To reiterate however, this isn't really a case of the current UI being problematic, but rather a "what if?" on my part.

Similarly, the one frustration that showed up during extended use of the other MiNi lights has also cropped up here to some extent. The fine threads of the entire MiNi line do not seem to be the robust square cut threading of the remainder of the 4Sevens brand. There is actually a pronounced bit of thread play with these lights causing them to sometimes jump through levels unexpectedly when you are activating them or re-selecting modes. This problem goes away by using more deliberate motions (usually involving two hands rather than one), but on the fly it tends to come up fairly often. Now having had the chance to test out 5 different samples I can definitely say that though this situation appears to be prevalent through the entire line, the extent that it is a noticeable problem is variable. My sample for the MiNi CR2 happens to be the least issue of all the lights I tested. Whether the tolerances have been tightened up some since this subject first came up or it was merely luck of the draw, I cannot say.

4Sevens Q MiNi CR2

Conclusions

When I first tested a Q MiNi I thought it to be one of the most versatile, inconspicuous lights available on the market. After spending some time with them and also now with this new sub-compact CR2 model, my opinions have changed little. It seems to be the epitome of an EDC light, combining usefulness with minute proportions in a technologically advanced package.

Provided for the duration of the review by 4Sevens.

Last edited:

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, nice pictures thanks for sharing, waiting for the pre-ordered warm tint version.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
4Sevens MiNi CR2 - Submitted for consideration for the review forum.

Again, due to the similarities to the rest of the MiNi line my points of recommendation also remain quite predictable. As useful as the simplistic 3 mode UI is, I still find myself wondering whether it could be made better. Power cycling works in a pinch as a method of mode change, but I continue to wonder whether a "Twist further to increase" type interface could be implemented with a 3 stage light. To reiterate however, this isn't really a case of the current UI being problematic, but rather a "what if?" on my part.

First off thanks for the informative review!

As far as this "Twist further to increase" interface... Are you referring to the interface like on the Maratac 9290 where if the light is on high and you loosen the head it will start slowly ramping / decreasing output until you tighten the head... And then increase / ramp up output if you loosen it again?

If so, Im wondering if there are other lights out there that use this interface. I for one think this interface absolutely sucks but my only experience with it is with the Maratac 9290...

I do love my ramping nitecore ex10 tho but its a push button interface obviously...

I prefer the 3 mode twisty interface to be the way it is!

my 2 cents

If you are not referring to the same interface i described like the 9290 excuse my intrusion!

Last edited:

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
I also have this light and am amazed by the output for its size.

The threads are buttery smooth and the finish was flawless on mine when it arrived. Great value when you consider the 10 yr warranty and customer service. The Q MiNi AA still remains my favourite with the output of the 14500 and the availability of the AA primary.

Just waiting patiently for my warm MiNi AA to arrive and the Maelstroms to be released.

CampLite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I have a Q mini CR2 WW on order and I am looking forward to changing it to my main EDC!

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off thanks for the informative review!

As far as this "Twist further to increase" interface... Are you referring to the interface like on the Maratac 9290 where if the light is on high and you loosen the head it will start slowly ramping / decreasing output until you tighten the head... And then increase / ramp up output if you loosen it again?

If so, Im wondering if there are other lights out there that use this interface. I for one think this interface absolutely sucks but my only experience with it is with the Maratac 9290...

I do love my ramping nitecore ex10 tho but its a push button interface obviously...

I prefer the 3 mode twisty interface to be the way it is!

my 2 cents

If you are not referring to the same interface i described like the 9290 excuse my intrusion!
Actually for this one I was not referring to a ramping output, but rather still a three mode output with a UI similar to the Nitecore EZ series. I don't know if it is possible, and likely not for cheap if so, but consider it a wish list.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I love the feedback.

ky70

Banned
Nice review but there is no mention of the hidden modes that are present in my qmini 123. Does the mini CR2 enter into the hidden strobe, SOS, and 2 beacon modes if you cycle through L,M,H 2 times fast?

mobile chernobyl

Newly Enlightened
Yep - Those modes can come in handy sometimes! My CR2 operates the same way - I'm sure these modes and the method of activating them are common amongst all the Mini line as they all use the same driver design I believe.

Axion

Enlightened
Actually for this one I was not referring to a ramping output, but rather still a three mode output with a UI similar to the Nitecore EZ series. I don't know if it is possible, and likely not for cheap if so, but consider it a wish list.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I love the feedback.

What you describe is like the Nitecore EZAA (2 mode only though) and the Ra Twisty. I have one of each and agree that a similar interface would be a nice fit to the Q-minis.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I have to respectfully disagree with those who are praising the EZ-type 2 mode interface. I own two EZ lights, both are EZ Cr2 lights and all three MiNi's. I much prefer the MiNi interface. It's easy to use, brighter than the EZ Cr2 (all are: at least with Li-ions), you don't have to go through low to turn them off and, finally, the medium is a very useful mode which lasts quite a while. For the EZ series you only have a low and a high.

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
excellent review-

answering the question as far as turn more to get more lumens, The Lummi raw does this in 2 stages, but not 3. when you purchase the raw, you choose the material you want it made from, and you choose what the high and low will be. initial turn on is the low setting you choose from the factory, and then turning more gets you the high seting. running a 14250 batt, it can put out anywhere from 20 lumens to 200.

Axion

Enlightened
I have to respectfully disagree with those who are praising the EZ-type 2 mode interface. I own two EZ lights, both are EZ Cr2 lights and all three MiNi's. I much prefer the MiNi interface. It's easy to use, brighter than the EZ Cr2 (all are: at least with Li-ions), you don't have to go through low to turn them off and, finally, the medium is a very useful mode which lasts quite a while. For the EZ series you only have a low and a high.

While all of what you're commenting on is valid half of it focuses on output which is unrelated to the interface type. Regarding the interface selection:

I agree that 3 modes are better than two but it is definitely possible to make a 3 mode light with a twist from low to high (or vice versa) interface. The Ra Twisty is an obvious example.

Not wanting to go through the other levels to turn the light off is a valid complaint however with a Ra Twisty style interface off to hi is just over half a turn which means that any brightness level you want is a half turn away. Sure you have to go through other levels on the way but it's still quicker than tight, loose, tight, loose, tight to get to high.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review but there is no mention of the hidden modes that are present in my qmini 123. Does the mini CR2 enter into the hidden strobe, SOS, and 2 beacon modes if you cycle through L,M,H 2 times fast?
Yes, the Q MiNi CR2 still has the hidden blinky modes that the other MiNi's and the Preons have. I didn't bring it up in detail (only a minor sub-reference) because I don't find it all that important. Nice to know it's there I guess, but I don't really see myself using it.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
nice review!
don´t know about others,but i got no problem with the threads on this one,neither on my qmini aa in aluminium.however i got jumping between levels on my mini 123 in titanium.
guess i´m lucky....

ky70

Banned
Yes, the Q MiNi CR2 still has the hidden blinky modes that the other MiNi's and the Preons have. I didn't bring it up in detail (only a minor sub-reference).

Roger that. I see that reference in your review. :thumbsup:

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
Strobes. SOS, and whatevers are of somewhat a good idea. But the minis and preons way of getting to them thwarts what they are made for "the strobe at least" You have to cycle through the three modes fast to activate the strobe on the mini CR2. I have the Myshondt. I carry it every Day. The little mini and a spare battery go into my cargo pants bottom pocket. Never know when a problem with a light may occure. When walking down a dark trail camping I would not like to all of a sudden be with out a light.,

With the strobe mentioned I like my old model Fenix PD20 twist the bezel tight and hit the high then again you get strobe. Very fast to get to strobe. I love that old model. Three lights levels on the normal untight bezel, then tighten the bezel for the serious blinding stuff. And it does not roll off of the table or what ever flat surface you put it on.

But I do love the AAA preons. I had a gold one up until this week till I gave it to my daughter-in-law. Just right for her keys or purse. I do not have any plans to buy another since I have the two CR2 lights and the much larger CR123 PD20 that I simply would not leave behind for a camping trip.

And again I talk to much sorry.

But all lights mentioned above are great ones. But as far as the T-whatever, that was reviewed. First, nice review. But I do not like lights with all kinds of gizmos and complicated things that one really does not need. More to break in my opinion. Again though, I like my little Myshondt AEON but would be nice to have a lower low on it. Like .5 lumens. Then the other two.

Edit here to say.
I have to add, I had just read a review on a tactical light with all kind of "things" and modes on it. I thought that I was talking about that here. So I totaly agree with five thumbs up on the Quark Mini CR2. Cant get any better. I love mine. But my primary EDC is still my MyShondt AEON CR2

cajun

Last edited: