I have discovered a couple things.

Hannspr33

Newly Enlightened
First time poster, long time creeper.

I have spent more money on flashlights then most my other hobbies.

I am probably the king of cheap-o flashlights at the moment, but who wasn't when they first started?

Few things I wanna hit on this first post as I have been waiting on posting for alooong time.:whistle:

Firstly, I go to a local, family-owned sporting good store here in town and they have a large selection of lights, most surefire models in the 60~120 lumen range, browning and streamlight. The people at the store are very generous and will let you open a flashlight in the blister pack if they don't already have one on display, and they will even let you go into the lounge with a handful of torches and turn the lights off so you can test them out.

One thing I figured out is surefire is amazing for its build quality, but I would be willing to put money that maglite is up there with them..(im going to get flamed for this next part probably.) Since I got the play with a few of the surefires and streamlights, I bite the bullet and purchased a G2L with the p60 drop in. Now, it was brighter than anything I had purchased originally that was that small. After a couple weeks, I was browsing through the local HD and came up on the MagLED package that had the 3d LED and the 2AA multimode MM for 29.99. I quickly discovered the 3d mag was brighter than the surefire, and the 2AA was a step behind it. So I returned the Surefire :O and I am glad to say that I couldn't be happier. (let the flaming begin?)

Secondly, I have been searching high and low for an EDC, I have spend a couple hundred on cheapish $25 flashlights, including some energizer, rayovac, inova, streamlight, surefire, coleman and a couple no named chinese 5mm led things. I finally narrowed my search to a Streamlight stylus pro (bought it and kept it) and a surefire eb1 backup. I like the streamlight stylus pro and I like penlights (i carried a cheapo energizer at work for aloooong time before I gave it up) but I like the thought of the surefire eb1, just can't bite the bullet or pull the trigger on a $120 light. (my pockets are deep enough, but the misses hasn't taken a liking to my new hobby, she likes the flashlights and their usefulness, but after 10-12, she was done.) anywho, I have been carrying the streamlight stylus pro as my main edc for some time and it does its job well, and i use it to walk with at night along with the 3d mag, but i wouldn't want it to be my only light for camping or the only light laying around the house.
What are yalls thoughts on the edc? The streamlight stylus pro is everything I need, but of course there is better and I could swing for the EB1, but would take a butt whooping for it. I honestly think I would be better off saving for something like a p7 mod for the 3d mag. (also been thinking about the terralux dropin)

thank you for reading, i still have a hundred million questions, but ill wait and won't ask to many in one thread

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi and :welcome:

rest assured, no flaming (at least from me), each person is entitled to their own choices, likes and dislikes and part of the fun is the debate between various detractors and supporters of different lights as long as it all remains civil and reasoned.

I like both maglites and surefires but both are overpriced here in singapore so i either purchase them online at the CPF marketplace or go for other brands, at last count i had close to 30 (including those that i have given away) lights and all of them have their advantages and disadvantages.

Right now, my newest and current favourite is the Novatac 120P, made in the USA (if it matters at all), tough, programmable and looks and feels good. I might consider sending it to one of the modders to throw in an SST-50 but that may affect the runtimes i get (will have to inquire).

Of the other lights i own, the Fenixes and Jetbeams are tough lights, LED Lensers are nice but don't seem as tough but the ability to focus is a nice touch.

Love my Surefires to bits and now considering maybe a big gun or 2 (Olight SR90) though i have absolutely no need for one, but i can't seem to stop lusting after them.

Welcome to CPF and hold on to your wallet. :D

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Investing money on torches" (My quote)
"Wasting money on torches" (Wifes quote)
"Wow Grandad they are great" (Grandsons quotes)
"Oh thanks , I'll just keep it in the car" (Daughters quotes)

Everyone has different ideas about torches ... With this in mind , have a look at the Solarforce L2 with a three mode dropin (without the SOS and strobe) ... It uses a 18650 battery though there are models that take 3AAA or 2AA batteries ... Great value for money and nicely made.

Also look at the iTP A1 (123 cell) or A2 (AA) or A3 (AAA) torches ... Brilliant value for money and well made three mode torches ...These are great for EDC.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a nice drop-in for your mag, take a look at this,

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/252279

It's been a long time in the making and still no date on the first run, but,
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
buttrock.gif

rider

Newly Enlightened
I finally narrowed my search to a Streamlight stylus pro (bought it and kept it) and a surefire eb1 backup. I like the streamlight stylus pro and I like penlights (i carried a cheapo energizer at work for aloooong time before I gave it up) but I like the thought of the surefire eb1, just can't bite the bullet or pull the trigger on a $120 light. (my pockets are deep enough, but the misses hasn't taken a liking to my new hobby, she likes the flashlights and their usefulness, but after 10-12, she was done.) anywho, I have been carrying the streamlight stylus pro as my main edc for some time and it does its job well, and i use it to walk with at night along with the 3d mag, but i wouldn't want it to be my only light for camping or the only light laying around the house.
What are yalls thoughts on the edc? The streamlight stylus pro is everything I need, but of course there is better and I could swing for the EB1, but would take a butt whooping for it. I honestly think I would be better off saving for something like a p7 mod for the 3d mag. (also been thinking about the terralux dropin)

If you're looking for something else in the penlight region, take a look at the Peak Eiger with 2xAAA body. You have a choice of a lugged body, "pocket" body which is shorter, keychain body, or can install a momentary switch on the end of the keychain body.

Actually it looks like Dances with Flashlights already reviewed it here.

I will also say that the versatility of a Ra Clicky makes an absolutely great EDC. The UI on the new models is really slick and makes it reasonable to customize the exact light output for any situation, if you feel the need to do so.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
+ 1 Peak eiger...when they first came out- they had Rebel 100 LED's in them- the new generation Maglite 2d, 3d have the Rebel 090 LED's in them- even though the stamp under magnifications show 091- there are no spec sheets for Rebel 091. Anyhow- the Maglite is an EXCELLENT thrower- and last Xmas- the big blue hardware store was selling them for a crazy low price of like $14.97. Welcome!

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I agreed about the new MagLEDs. They are very respectable now in terms od performance and when you throw in price, even more so.

You will get a lot of opinions on what is best to EDC and they are all right because they are right for each person. I will give you my opinion on EDC and what I carry but it may not suit your requirements.

I EDC 2 light on my person. A 4Sevens Quark Mini123 and an ITP A3 EOS Stainless Steel. I like carrying small lights for my EDC because they aren't bulky and don't call a lot of attention to my fairly comprehensive EDC kit which includes 2 knives, pen, spare AAA cell holder, multi-tool, cellphone and wallet. I hope to be adding a compact pistol to it in the near future.

Some like bigger lights. I do to but not on me. I carry a backpack and in it I are my larger lights and usually at least a couple. Right now in my backpack is a JetBeam RRT-0 attached to the side in a holster, a Nitecore D20, EagleTac T20C2 MkII and Petzl e+Lite headlight inside one of the compartments of my Maxpedition Falcon II. The RRT-0 takes 1x123 or 1xAA cell w/ extender which is how it is configured currently. The D20 takes 2xAA and the T20C2 MkII takes 2x123 or 1x18650 LiIon rechargeable which is what's in it right now. Having a backpack alolows me to carry plenty of spare cells too and I have spare AAA, AA, 123 and 18650 cells. Oh and I also have an Inova coin light on my keychain.

I can recommend all the lights I have. I find them excellent with high build quality, exceptional performance and full featured.

:welcome:... officially.

matterns

Newly Enlightened
I have discovered to many choices makes my head hurt.

I have a few lights now Surefire, Olight, Streamlight (old)
and many Mags.

I am hoping to modernize my Streamlights and Mags to keep mistakes to a minimum cost.

I have enough OCD with my existing hobbies and plan on reading more on this site to try and get a direction.

Hannspr33

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the informative posts! I have thought of the Peak Eiger, there is also another Tank AAA from DX that has stuck my eye. But I have read enough about DX that I might stay away from there and see about ordering one from another site.

On another note, I went and bought some AAA LiIon batteries from the great Walmart!!!!!!!(over priced) and I was questioned by the cashier as to why I was buying such expensive AAA batteries. I went on to mention that they were going in my new flashlight and she said, "Good lord, the batteries must cost more than the flashlight," and I gave her the ol' speech about flasholism and mentioned my Streamlight Stylus pro and how much I paid for it (around ~24 with tax) and her jaw hit the floor...she gave me the look of the devil and just rang up my total after that. I guess people don't understand what quality is and how much it costs?