Max

Enlightened
Anybody tried one of these?

<a href="http://www.niteize.com/lbite.html" target="_blank">
bitemain.jpg
</a>

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder how comfortable will it be. Not that I like the idea of sticking something that has been bouncing up and down on my chest into my mouth.

Seems like it comes in 1 size only?

Ratso

Enlightened
I would rather get the head strap. Looks more comfortable, hands AND MOUTH free use, and possibly safer if you fall.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Show me a flashlight addict who has not held some sort of flashlight in his mouth a one time or another, and I will show you someone who watches the Martha Stewart Show!

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I agree with Ratso; the Nite-Ise headband is a much more comfortable option. I assume that the device is intended for you to hang the torch around your neck like a football ref's whistle, and you put it in your gnashers when you want hands free lighting. I can imagine if you go running with the torch in your mouth or hanging loose, you're going to suffer damaged teeth or lots of bruises from repeated impacts of the torch as it swings about round your neck.
I normally like Nite Ise equipment, its well made and fits a wide range of torches. But this product IMHO needs further invstigation and development.
I must sdmit to the bare torch in teeth thing. Prior to getting the Nite Ise headband, whilst working on or under the motorbike I've had a 2AA or a BT1 clamped in my gnashers. Torches don't exactly taste very nice, particularly metal ones!

Sshere'sssh allssho ghe krogleng ogh congungicashung with aa corch ing ya gnouth!

Better try harder Nite Ise!

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
For a very soft and tacky mouth bit for the Mag 2AA, take a Nite Ize Flashlight Friend accessory, cut the legs off, and slide the tube onto the unit. It's a tooth friendly assembly, and the Nite Ize tube (minus legs) has alot of other benefits such as ergo grip, etc. Cost: $6US at Walmart.

See my topic entitled "Uses for Nite Ize Flashlight Friend Mag 2AA Accessory" on this forum and add your own ideas on the Flash Friend, with or without legs.

kimgkimg

Newly Enlightened
Okay here's a marketing idea (remember if you see it out there, you heard it here first): Flashlight bite holders in a variety of fruity flavors!

Tombeis

Enlightened
I am a hold the flashlight in your mouth while working guy from the word go.

It certainly is a nasty habit especially when your working on the toilet, lay the flashlight down on the bathroom floor, then pick it up and stick it in your mouth.

I have tried to break this habit without success. It is simply too convenient.

I have also tried various attachments both commercial and self made to make the holding of the flashlight in the mouth easier on the teeth.
The biggest problem with rubber or plastic caps, is when I try to put the flashlight in the belt pouch, it is difficult to insert and withdraw.

So, I will go on, God help me, using the germ infested mouth holding technique sans the teeth protector simply because it is the best way.

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that McGizmo used a bite from a Camelback hyhdration system for one of his creations.

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
I have also tried verious attachments both commercial and self made to make the holding of the flashlight in the mouth easier on the teeth.
The biggest problem with rubber or plastic caps, is when I try to put the flashlight in the belt pouch, it is difficult to insert and withdraw.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How about re-working the pouch? Rip and re-stitch a seam here or there. And check out the fabric stores for elastic materials. Or is it asking too much from flashlight nerds to pick up needle and thread?

Tombeis

Enlightened
Dear Pad:

I sew.

I have made more flashlight pouches in my lifetime then you have seen.

When the Mini-Mag was introduced years ago, I made hundreds of pouches for that flashlight before Mag ever thought of a holster. In fact I ought to be sueing Mag for stealing my design. That would be a switch wouldn't it?

The problem with a bezel up pouch/holster is that no matter how loose you make it the soft rubber or plastic bite piece sticks to the fabric going in and coming out.

But wait, you have given me an idea. What about a bezel down pouch/holster?

I just received one that would work very well only yesterday.

The Spec-Ops bezel down pouch is made to carry flashlights from the size of the Surefire E2e to the M3, bezel down. The rubber covered tailcap would be out of the pouch and non stick.

I will try it!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I have seen these in the stores but passed on buying one simply because I already have the head strap and can't see any advantage in the mouth bite.
The other thing about the head strap is that it's mounted on the side of your head and there for does not protrude out too much if any, it also means that you don't have a flashlight obstructing your view.
If you need two hands the chances are you are going to be wrestling around under the car or possibly in a tight area and I can imagine trying to turn my head with the light in my mouth and knocking it against things.
If I need hands free light I use the headstrap with my MadMax, BadBoy500 or if it's cold and I need the runtime I use the Inretech.
Before I got the head strap I used my BlackDiamond Moonlight which is nice but it's no match for an LS.

I guess for intermittent use the bite would be OK but then again the head strap is not uncomfortable and if worn under a woolly hat no one can see it anyway so why not just keep the light in the head strap and turn it on when you need.

Most times that I do shove a light in my mouth it's for a brief moment and for close up work and seeing as I always have an Arc aaa round my neck that's the one that I use.

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
The problem with a bezel up pouch/holster is that no matter how loose you make it the soft rubber or plastic bite piece sticks to the fabric going in and coming out.

But wait, you have given me an idea. What about a bezel down pouch/holster?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Tom,

Now I know I'm talking to an expert!
smile.gif

After reading your post I remembered an idea I had for making a swivel D-ring on the Flashlight Friend. This might help you pull the Mag from your "bezel-down" pouch. Also you'll be able to chomp on the thing as needed of course.

I cut two legs off the Friend, and cut a third of the length off the remaining two legs. Then I slid on a 4" length of rubber wiper fluid hose over each of the two remaining stumps, creating a rubberized D-ring. Slide the tube over your Mag 2AA, and you're in business. By the way, this D-ring gives the rubber Kroll tail-switch plenty of clearance.

I would have posted a digital photo of this thing but couldn't figure out how it works on this forum. (The "IMAGE" function for replies wants a URL http://, but what I have is a JPEG on my hard drive and I couldn't make the twain meet.) I'm sure you got the idea anyway.

Good luck on that pouch.

Patrick

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
Tom, a couple more notes on creating the Chomper Mag 2AA Special Edition.

I noticed that the when I bit down on my Chomper (as decribed above) I was able to swing the rubber D-ring down against my chin. As you probably know, the legs of the Friend can be swiveled through ten more or less stable positons. So the D-ring acts like a kind of kickstand, and takes weight off your teeth while also stablizing the flashlight. It was kind of uncanny because I didn't design the D-ring with this in mind--it seemed that ol' serendipity was at work here.

The second thing I noticed was that the the Mag is easier to hold in your mouth when darn thing weighs less, e.g. sporting lithium batteries. Kind of a no-brainer, huh?

Patrick