• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 6-7 UPDATE.....I'll Cerakote Your Host or any Parts

jslappa

Enlightened
7-14 UPDATE.....I'll Cerakote Your Host or any Parts

8-2-10 update
The shop has halted taking new orders until they catch up on the summer jobs. Please do not ship any items to me until I get the OK to send more orders. Thanks and I apologize in advance.

7-13 UPDATE
Received all but 2 lights and parts today. The 2 C2's (one Hidden White and one Desert Digital Camo) are still being worked on. Everything else appears to have made it in his shipment. Sending to each owner via Priority mail Wedneday, July 14th.

6-7 UPDATE
Spoke with shop today, and all lights and parts are prepped and will be shot today or tomorrow. Should be ready to ship back to me at end of the week. Thanks for everyone's patience. Especially Lisa and Henk_Lu.

Please review the FEELER thread I posted, as many of your questions may be answered there. Post here with anything not covered there. I'll answer ASAP.

The coating is about the same texture as the ano that's on the lights now. Some colors have more shine, while others are flat and dull. In addition, Todd only offers the HARD colors, because they stand up to the most punishment, and they are the only colors and formula that are weapons' grade. Still, there are over 25 colors to choose from. He has about 10 to 15 colors in stock at any given time, and it takes him a few days to get in the out of stock items.

Below are all the colors Todd either has, or can get for us.
257.png
258.png
259.png

260.png
261.png
263.png

262.png
265.png
264.png

266.png
267.png
268.png

269.png
270.png
248.png

250.png
249.png
251.png

253.png
252.png
254.png

255.png
256.png
271.png

272.png
273.png

Pricing is going to be a bit tricky because there are so many different lights in so many different sizes. So I am going to give rough estimates for some lights, and a firm quote for lights I have never seen before will be assessed after I receive them. However, I believe that based on the lights I DO know the prices for, you'll have a general idea of pricing. I also have pricing for digital camo! I am really excited about this, and have just mailed out a C2-HA to receive a Desert Digi-Camo coating. I expect it's return in +- 5 weeks. Stay tuned for that. Please be aware that custom jobs like this take around 4 to 6 weeks. Two members sent me their lights 2 weeks ago, and the shop won't get one color needed until today, and all 8 lights are on the production schedule for late this week, early next week. Turn-around time for them will then be roughly 6 weeks from time they shipped the lights to me, until they show up at their door. Please understand that once the lights are schedule for production, it may be impossible for the shop to sift through and find any specific lights to pull from the lineup. Therefore, once they have your light, it's getting coated.

Finally, This coating is self-lubricating, and applies great to our lights, but there is always the chance that very minor high spots may appear. This is normal, and should be expected on a very small number of lights. My prices are fixed, so yours must be as well. If there are striking problems, the shop stands behind their work, and will redo items on a per-item basis.

Some people do not want the forums to know what they are getting coated, so you are NOT required to post in this thread. However, for both our peace-of-mind AND per the forum rules, I strongly urge you to post in this thread so that the work is saved in the CPF Archives. I'll keep an Excel spreadsheet of all work orders.

$35 to coat any light smaller than a D10. A small list of lights that fit this criteria include, but are not limited to:
1. Nitecore D10
2. Nitecore EX10
3. Quark 123
4. Quark AA
5. Surefire E1e
6. Surefire E1b
7. Surefire 3P (FM too)
8. RA/Novatac 123 body

$45 to coat any light larger and/or longer than the above, up to a Surefire 6P size light. This price point includes, but is not limited to:

1. Surefire 6P, C2, G2, E2, Z2, etc.
2. Nitecore D20
3. Quark 2x123
4. Solarforce 2x123 style lights
5. RA Clicky/Novatac 17670 body

$55 to coat any lights larger and or longer than the above $45 lights, about the size of a Surefire 9P. This price point includes, but is not limited to:

1. Surefire 9P, C3, Z3
2. (Hopefully Surefire M3)
3. (Hopefully OLight M20)

2C and 2D Mags are $62 each to coat one color.

Anything aluminum, steel, plastic, wood etc. can be coated. If you have other items you'd like coated, just send a PM or email to johnsladovnik (at) yahoo.com and we will figure out a price.

**Digital Camo (Desert or Jungle) can be applied to any light as large or larger than a 6P for an additional $30 on top of the std price. Having to use 3 colors in a 4-step process, this price is reasonable, especially for one-off jobs. If these were mass produced, the price could come down substantially. It may also be possible to offer Digi-Camo in any 3 colors you want.

*********************INSTRUCTIONS FOR SHIPPING HOSTS TO ME**************************

You must field-strip your light before shipping to me. I wrecked the inner tailcap guts of a light, and don't want to assume any risk involved with stripping anyone's light. In addition, that would increase prices, and we don't want to do that, right? Right. So, strip her down similar to what I have done here to a C2. Remove all o-rings, reflectors, lenses, clips, tailcap boots, and guts from tailcap :
DSC_0669.jpg

I did this to an insert that was inside the tailcap of a C2-HA....I see no way around marks like this when using needle-nose pliers to pull out the tailcap guts of many Surefire lights.
DSC_0665.jpg

Basically, you should ship me the body parts looking like this, minus the PTFE thread tape. I can apply that for you, if you don't want your threads coated. Only one of the 15 lights I have had coated gave me trouble when screwing the head back on the body, but the tolerance for those threads was quite tight to begin with. I suggest NOT coating the threads of twisty lights.
DSC_0672.jpg

Please include a note inside the package with your CPF name, real name, return shipping address, and exactly what colors you would like for each light. The names of each color are located under each picture. If ordering Digi-Camo, please include what color (Desert or Jungle). I'll need to know about any insurance you would like added too.
Ship all your parts here:
John Sladovnik
27463 Birmingham ct
Paw Paw, Mi 49079

******************************PAYMENTS*********************************************
PAYPAL
I do not need ANY payments until I actually have your lights in my possession. Since I don't have to PayPal the shop until I ship the light out with the order forms, I won't need your funds until then. Still, if you like doing it all at once, feel free to PayPal me at your convenience.
PayPal address is johnsladovnik(@)yahoo.com

Money Orders
Money Orders are fine. Please send all MO's with your parts. Once the MO clears, I will include your lights in the next shipment.

US shipments:
Include $6 if all your lights can fit in a standard priority box. This price includes Priority shipping, Delivery Confirmation. Insurance can also be added, and we'll discuss that once I receive your parts.

Canada shipments:
Include $7 and
Canada shipments:
Include $7 and our lights will be shipped back to you.

Other countries:
I know that many will NOT want this service done because it is obviously going to be expensive to have lights shipped to me, then shipped back. However, I am certainly willing to provide this service to all of you. I recommend insurance, and reporting the correct value of the light since I am not going to be responsible for any losses due to the postal system. I can provide pics of your parcels as I drop them off, or other reasonable requests.
**NOTE** One member has purchased a light in the MP, and had it shipped directly to me to be Cerakoted. This eliminates one shipping fee, and just leaves the return shipping.

The Shop requested that I ship as many lights as possible per batch, so I will be shipping once a week. Since I just sent a small batch today, I will continue the Monday shipments. So, any lights received this week, through Saturday, will be included in the following Monday's order.

I will try to clear my PM's as often as possible. You can also email me at my PayPal email address too.

Last edited:

jslappa

Enlightened
Re: I'll Cerakote Your Host or any Parts

This section is reserved to display batch information.

1ST Batch 4-15-10 (In Production)

1. Henk_Lu-------4 lights (3 done)
2. Lisantica-------1 light
3. JSlappa--------3 lights (2 done)
Hidden White D10
Titanium Blue Twins D10 and EX10
Midnight Navy D10
Flat Dark Earth EX10
DSC_0770.jpg

DSC_0772.jpg

2ND Batch 5-3-10 (Scheduled)

1. Kiessling-------1 light
2. Mikevelarde---1 light

3RD Batch

1. NFetterly--------3 Lights + Knife parts

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Everything stripped;

1. 6P unbored with Z41 tail cap & standard size head with fins - Midnight blue
2. 6P bored with Z59 tail cap & head - Sniper Grey
3. Leef 3 x 18650 (C-C) with Z41 tail cap & M2 head (couldn't get lens out of existing standard head) - Midnight Blue
4. 3 "P series" bezel up stainless clips (Midnight Blue, Sniper Grey, Graphite Black) (this last clip can be midnight blue if setup in the booth is an issue)

Lights to go out tomorrow, Leef had pulp on it from (pulp & paper) mill - it's in the dishwasher now....

Last edited:

jslappa

Enlightened

Bump.

Here is the batch going out Monday, 5-10-10.
DSC_0674.jpg

Pic of Desert Tan
DSC_0419.jpg

Flat Dark Earth
DSC_0420-1.jpg

Desert Tan, Pink, Foliage Green
CSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

Yavox

Enlightened

Is it possible for you to cerakote different parts of the light with different colors without increasing the cost?

Is it possible to cerrakote the flashlight body with one color from the tailcap to the knurling, then the knurling with different color, then again color #1, the rest of knurling with #2 and the rest of the body till the head with #1 again? What the parts where the color #1 changes to color #2 will look like?

jslappa

Enlightened

Is it possible for you to cerakote different parts of the light with different colors without increasing the cost?

Is it possible to cerrakote the flashlight body with one color from the tailcap to the knurling, then the knurling with different color, then again color #1, the rest of knurling with #2 and the rest of the body till the head with #1 again? What the parts where the color #1 changes to color #2 will look like?

Because of the setup time involved, it would not be possible to use multiple colors on the light, and only be charged for one color. The shop charges a minimum of $25 to coat a small part. Essentially, you're coating 3 parts (head, tail, body) different colors. Because the shop coats using an electrostatic booth, they have to clean and set up the booth for each color. That's why they want me to try to get as many lights in each batc as possible, to help cut down the clean up/set up time and effectively shorten the turn around time for us.

In your case, it would be more cost effective to have 2 lights coated, and simply swap the parts. (assuming you have 2 lights that can interchange parts)

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bump.

Here is the batch going out Monday, 5-10-10.
DSC_0674.jpg

I though I had alot of pulp on the leef body - after looking at it after it came out of the dishwasher I think the ano is coming off of the high points in the knurling. Runs with a WA1185 in a FM "sunspot" with an AW 3 level soft start in the tail. Midnight Blue.:hitit:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

John, Knife parts, Benchmade knife that I bought with messed up finish. Will confirm color - but thinking about midnight blue for the body and graphite black for the clip (keeps it to the same colors as the lights).

861758113_8HpRS-M.jpg

The knife parts can come back to me in the same box as the flashlight parts.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic

As a point of reference, could we have an estimate of the price for coating a light the size of a 2D or 2C Maglite?

jslappa

Enlightened

As a point of reference, could we have an estimate of the price for coating a light the size of a 2D or 2C Maglite?

Donn,

I have that exact question I'm awaiting an answer from the shop. Also getting a quote for the longer D Mags too. That should effectively cover a great many lights. Will update as soon as I know.

Neale, I'll PM you.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope this question doesn't cause a problem but a thought occured to me, Does the cerakote insulate? Ceramic to me is an insulator and I was hoping that the coating won't keep the heat from radiating out of the flashlight body because thats bad for High power LED mods. I really want to coat some lights but this lingering question is holding me back.

jslappa:
Can you check and feel if a coated light heats up in the hand or by thermal sensor as fast as an identical but uncoated light?

fyrstormer

Banned

Ceramic is primarily an electrical insulator; while it doesn't conduct heat as well as non-oxidized metals do, one only has to grab a hot coffee mug by the body instead of the handle to know it's not a strong insulator like plastic is. In any event, ceramic coatings measured in micrometers are not nearly insulating enough to cause any problems -- otherwise, anodized aluminum would be impractical as a flashlight shell, because anodizing is ceramic. That's also why BMW can use anodizing to reduce wear on their aluminum engine cylinders without worrying about overheating and warping the engine block.

No doubt someone will mention the ceramic-foam tiles on the Space Shuttle, but the primary insulating factor there is the nitrogen bubbles inside the ceramic, not the ceramic itself -- ceramic is used in those tiles because it doesn't melt under extreme heat, not because it's a good choice as an insulator, hence the need for the nitrogen bubbles.

Here's my question: does the Cerakote substantially improve surface friction? I have a couple of parts that I'd really like to have coated with something (hard, not rubbery) that will make them easier to grip when my hands are sweaty or oily.

Last edited:

signal 13

Enlightened

Here's my question: does the Cerakote substantially improve surface friction? I have a couple of parts that I'd really like to have coated with something (hard, not rubbery) that will make them easier to grip when my hands are sweaty or oily.

I can only speak from what I've seen, but a buddy of mine Cerakoted one of his rifles, and it has a nice rough texture. It was a do-it-yourself kind of job, so I don't know how it might turn out from a professional shop.

jslappa

Enlightened

jslappa:
Can you check and feel if a coated light heats up in the hand or by thermal sensor as fast as an identical but uncoated light?

Using my D10 Tribute and a Flat Dark Earth Cerakoted D10, both with AW14500's fresh off the charger, I felt no discernable difference in temps, and they both seemed to heat up at the same relative speed. Of course, I did not use a temperature probe. Actually, I do have a temp probe for my hobby charger, so I may try that tonight.

Interesting that you pose this question. I can't remember ever using a flashlight while getting sweaty, but I can say that Cerakote has a very very light orange peel effect. Anodizing seem to be quite flat and smooth to my eyes. So, as it compares to HAIII, I would say that Cerakote (applied in an electrostatic chamber) has a more positive tactile feel than anodizing.

John

donn_

Flashaholic

I have two of Malkoff's MD2 lights. One is HAIII-BK and the other is orange Cerakote. The Cerakote is substantially grippier in slick conditions (in my case fish slime and guts).

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one of ElectronGuru's orange Cerakote 6Ps - yes the grip feels improved. I compared 2 6Ps in my apt - the biggest improvement when dry is on the bezel where the cerakote makes it less "slick". On the body itself the knurled part just plain feels better to me - lots of grip, not quite as rough.

This isn't the "ceramic" of 25 years ago when I was in University. This is really impressive. :twothumbs I've sent in 3 bodies & 1 knife - I'm a believer.

Edited to say - not a paid announcement :wave::wave::wave:

Last edited:

jslappa

Enlightened

Thanks Neale.

If anyone would like to try out a Cerakoted light, I'm willing to ship you one free to try. Just agree to either return it or ship it to the next person in line.

nanomu

Newly Enlightened

+1 I have a 3D mag I'm interested in having done, so I'd love a quote on that..

fyrstormer

Banned

I have two of Malkoff's MD2 lights. One is HAIII-BK and the other is orange Cerakote. The Cerakote is substantially grippier in slick conditions (in my case fish slime and guts).
MMMmmm...making caviar or something? :green:

Well that's good to know. I get the feeling my Arc6 bodies could benefit from Cerakoting, the anodizing by itself is kinda slippery.

Is it possible to guarantee that only the outer surfaces of hollow objects get coated?

Last edited: