Contemplating TK40 Need Opinions & Thoughts.

Sig32

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any complaints on operating this light with the rear switch?
It seems as if it would not be user friendly and in many cases possibly difficult to hold and operate the switch with only one hand. Mind you this is an assumption since I have not had the opportunity to either hold or operate one, but compared to a maglite it seems it would be unnatural.

Holding a maglite at the rear feels unbalanced, but choked up on the head it feels secure and stable. I have a T20C2 that feels natural, but it is short and fits comfortably in my hand. Would love to hear some thoughts and opinions especially those with LE experiences/stories?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone experimented with running this light using a different battery configuration? I know a lot of people didn't like the AA's when it came out.

Larry237

Newly Enlightened
I generally like my TK40 and it puts out a little tighter beam than my Olight M30. The TK40 UI is more demanding for me than simpler lights, I have to think about what I am doing with the tailcap switch. It works ok, though. The range of light levels covers most needs very well. The light body is kind of a handful and I think that it would be easier to drop than lights with thinner bodies. I use it at home to check out bumps in the night and keep it available when I am camping. When hiking, if I want a lot of output, I carry the M30, which is easy to hang on to and the dual switch is easier for me to use. I am not a big fan of complex multi-mode tailcap switches. I haven't used any alternate batteries, with the TK40, just AA rechargeables, which work just fine. Overall, it has been a very functional light that works as advertised.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Operating the TK40 is no big deal really, unless you like turning your light on and off every few seconds.

The UI is relatively simple. Press once for on, then hold for one second to go to the next level and so forth until it goes back to low mode. There are hidden strobe and sos modes that never get in the way but are easily accessible.

It's a great light and you won't regret buying it. Especially once you use turbo mode.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Hey there Sig32...

At the moment the TK40 is top of my short list too. I'm only an apprentice flashaholic, and this (whatever I choose) is gonna be my very first LED torch.

Anyway... one of the only things that's putting me off signing on the dotted line at the moment is the TK40's price in Australia. And not the 8xAAs... surprise!

For example (in AUSD):

iTP A6 Polestar $106 shipped
ThruNite Catapult $175 shipped
Fenix TK40 $192 shipped

The above three babies are my short list... at last LOL.

The rear clicky doesn't bother me, as unlike some other multi-mode tailenders, the Fenix modes seem pretty intuitive... basically hold to set level, then release, or double-click for the flashers in each mode.

What's your opinion on the TK40 pricing in your locale Sig32? Dollars gets you quality? Why is the Fenix worth so much more than the Polestar with similar output? Maybe the Polestar's a bit rough 'n' ready QA-wise? Although I do like the Polestar's barrel switch. Dunno.

—Jack. :)

Outofit

Newly Enlightened
I have no problems with the switch, but my TK40 'flickers' a bit now and then. Always has. Not sure why but it is irritating. It's not the contacts. It's done it since it was new. I'm running all Eneloops. Swapping batteries makes no difference. Not to rag on Fenix you understand--I love their lights, and aside from one bad tailcap, I've had no other problems between the 10 or so Fenix's I have bought. Just ordered a PD20 as a matter of fact. If my TK40 didn't flicker it would be my favorite.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi Jack Reacher.

I have all three of your short-listed lights, and even though the Catapult is awesome, I still prefer the TK40 out of the three.

TK40 is a fantastic light and would always recommend it over the Polestar. I find the Polestar does not feel as tough as the TK40, and I must admit, the Polestar let me down on a few occasions (due to a faulty battery holder). Although the Polestar is nice, the build quality is nowhere near as good as the TK40.

BTW, have you seen the TK40 extreme torture test? If not check it out at https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233856.

The Catapult is an awesome light, but I still prefer the AA format of the TK40. The other minor point with the Catapult is that if you don't have a DMM then you are up for the cost of one as the 18650's do need a little more care than the AA batteries.

Pricing is a little expensive, but I've found ledtorches.com.au usually has them at reasonable prices and the shipping is free.

Archie Cruz

Banned
My partner is the usability expert when it comes to flashlights. Just ask Nightcrawler / Metalhed. He'll tell you.
The TK40 is NOT perfect and the SUI is probably the least perfect aspect. For some, access to the head and a way to add front-end accessories is another gripe.
We've not finished the evaluation of the TK40 yet ( I just shoot the pics) so the review is not up but you should see it here in a couple weeks (delayed due to illness in his family).

http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FLR.home.htm

Here's a summary that I'm authorized to share:

Activation Switch:
SUI (Solid User Interface)
Functionality
From the OFF state, the user depresses the rear-mounted tail cap switch to click the light on. The light remembers the last setting, which is excellent for repeatable ON/OFF cycles. The light has the following setting from a single click in consecutive sequence : Low, Medium, High & Turbo
This means that each IMMEDIATE depression of the switch button, results in the next higher setting and from Turbo the light reverts down to Low and not backwards to High, Medium etc.
One Long click turns the light off.
To actuate strobe, SOS and flashing modes, entails a rapid double click from the static levels.
Comment: This SUI functionality is learnable and though not intuitive, is logical and linear.
We've never loved dual function switches. The Fenix TK40 is actually a triple function switch since one button controls : ON/OFF, Levels & Mode. As a result, practice combined with muscle training are required for a fluid and fail-safe usage. It is well within the capability of the average operator, but mistakes may occur under duress.

Ergonomics
Rearmounted tailcap switches are not the most comfortable to use, as few operators end up holding such lights with the same posture for searching as they must for actuation. As a result, a lot of hand repositioning occurs in situations that require frequent State, Level or Mode switching alternating with hand holding in overhand or underhand gestures..
On the other hand, tailcap mounted switches are easier to locate with little or no error when compared with side mounted switches ( which require indexing for fail-safe location). Further, rear mounted switches typically accommodate weapons mounted or vehicle mounted use more easily than side mounted switches.

Comments:
Engineering constraints frequently result in a compromise between switch type, location on the light and range of features due to PCB, waterproofing (depth rating) and other space constraints.
The TK40 provides adequate haptic feedback (soft click) to inform the operator that an action has occurred in response to actuation. Missing from the TK40 is a momentary 'ON' soft activation. As it is not marketed as a 'tactical' light per se, this seems to me a minor constraint for a general purpose light, particularly, when all the signaling modes are taken into consideration.
------

It seems as if it would not be user friendly and in many cases possibly difficult to hold and operate the switch with only one hand. Mind you this is an assumption since I have not had the opportunity to either hold or operate one, but compared to a maglite it seems it would be unnatural.

Holding a maglite at the rear feels unbalanced, but choked up on the head it feels secure and stable. I have a T20C2 that feels natural, but it is short and fits comfortably in my hand. Would love to hear some thoughts and opinions especially those with LE experiences/stories?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone experimented with running this light using a different battery configuration? I know a lot of people didn't like the AA's when it came out.

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
Hey there Sig32...

At the moment the TK40 is top of my short list too. I'm only an apprentice flashaholic, and this (whatever I choose) is gonna be my very first LED torch.

Anyway... one of the only things that's putting me off signing on the dotted line at the moment is the TK40's price in Australia. And not the 8xAAs... surprise!

For example (in AUSD):

iTP A6 Polestar $106 shipped
ThruNite Catapult $175 shipped
Fenix TK40 $192 shipped

The above three babies are my short list... at last LOL.

The rear clicky doesn't bother me, as unlike some other multi-mode tailenders, the Fenix modes seem pretty intuitive... basically hold to set level, then release, or double-click for the flashers in each mode.

What's your opinion on the TK40 pricing in your locale Sig32? Dollars gets you quality? Why is the Fenix worth so much more than the Polestar with similar output? Maybe the Polestar's a bit rough 'n' ready QA-wise? Although I do like the Polestar's barrel switch. Dunno.

—Jack. :)

I don't have an ITP Polestar so can't comment but I do have the Catapult and the TK40. If you don't already have 18650 batteries and a charger I would go with the TK40. They are both great lights and you won't go wrong with either. I have one Catapult and three TK40s, that is how much I like the TK40.
I plan to pick up at least one more Catapult.

Sarratt

Enlightened
I spent almost 200$ canadian for my TK40 and have never regretted it for a moment.
I think it will be my ''for-the-rest-of-my-life'' light.

I've had no difficulties with the rear click.
I have it default to turbo so knowing that, if I need less lightI just keep my cap (homemade) on or held against myself for the 1.xx seconds it takes to drop to low.
Very easy.
I like the carry and the feel.

Good luck whatever you choose.

trldad

Newly Enlightened
I haven't had any problems with the rear clicky. Works great and I am likin' that turbo:D. It also has a Mag lite feel to it.
Good luck
trldad

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using my TK40 since October 2009 and I love it as much today as the day that it arrived at my door. So far, it is the best fit for my definition of a "perfect" large sized light.

I could see the rear tailcap switch as a bit difficult to operate when holding such a large light in one hand if the user has a short thumb. My fingers aren't very long at all (I can't grip an NFL or NCAA sized football with one hand for example) and I don't have a problem with it though. Like you, I do prefer the Maglite type side switch for large sized flashlights though. I don't let the tailcap switch influence my overall glowing opinion of the TK40 though.

If you must have a side switch, you might want to wait a little while longer for the Fenix TK45 to come out. It will reportedly be in the same price range as the TK40, be brighter, powered by 8 AA batteries, and have a side switch.

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened

The TK40 is shorter than the 3 cell maglites and doesnt feel unbalanced with the "overhand grip". You can also use the "underhand grip" and operate the switch the the other hand.
My only minor criticism of the switch like some others is that the clicky spring should be a bit stronger to avoid accidentally turning it on.

steamfish

Newly Enlightened
I like mine just fine. It's well balanced, not too heavy or too light. The AA's are a plus as far as I'm concerned. Enerloops last forever.
And you can hold it in the typical cop-maglite grip (head in your hand and the tail resting on your shoulder.)

The UI is ok, has enough levels with low/med/high and turbo. And you gotta love that turbo level... so friggin' bright! ;p

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
..... If you must have a side switch, you might want to wait a little while longer for the Fenix TK45 to come out. It will reportedly be in the same price range as the TK40, be brighter, powered by 8 AA batteries, and have a side switch.

Hey Locoboy...

I've seen the Fenix TK45 mentioned in a few threads here lately.

Is this a confirmed (eventual) release from Fenix, or still in the "we wish" stages? I'm on the verge of maybe buying a TK40, and I'd hate for the TK45 to appear 10 minutes after my cheque's been cashed!

Any authoritative sources re this expectation?

— Cheers, Jack. :)

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK45 was officially mentioned by Fenix by their representatives at the 2010 SHOT Show in Las Vegas. There are a couple of videos of it here filmed at the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJBFKI55QIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUmNd08xbDI

They said March 2010 as the release date, but as I type this it's 5-5-10 and the light is not on the market yet. Fenix did recently start taking names on their website for people that volunteered to test the TK45 so it is coming.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewcnews.asp?id=30

Nobody from Fenix has stated a new official release date though. The official photo of the light finally appearing on the Fenix website is promising though.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK45 looks an interesting light. You must remember however, that although the new light has a higher lumen output, the TK45 will not have the same throw as the TK40 due to the newer model utilising 3 separate smaller reflectors.

I had a Malkoff triple Q5 that didn't have anywhere near the throw of my Tk40 although the Malkoff produced more lumens.

Worth remembering if you want a TK40/45 series light for throw.

James....:)

Kilted

Enlightened
OK for those complaing about how to hold the TK40 and turning off/on. Included in the TK40 kit is a small lanyard it is suppose to be part of the shoulder strap hanger.

There are two loops small and large. Take the small loop and slip it through one of the two holes in the tail cap. I push the tail end from the tail cap inside to outside and passed the lanyard through the loop. This seemed to form the smoothest loop. Take the large loop and put two fingers through the loop pass the body of the loop to the palm side of your hand next to the flashlight body. Now the flashlight can move around in your hand and is still attached.

Slide the flashlight up and loop your pinky finger around the bottom of the tail cap. You will find two very nice wide slots in the tail cap to allow you to do this. You operate the switch single handed. Those who complain need to try this, I did not orginate the idea of using your pinky to operate the switch, I picked that up from a different thread. The lanyard usage I think is mine.

OH yes I bought the TK40 because it is AA and bright. I feed it Eneloops.

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

Archie Cruz

Banned
Good link to the Youtube vid on TK45.
I like the separation of MODE & ON/OFF switches but it will make it a tad harder to index (location) of the switch to put it on the side. Wasn't it the Gladius that had separate collar for MODE? That model works best for me but side is fine too. I'll try to get a TK45 to review. Thankfully, our charger handles 8 AA's in one load :D
One note about FENIX. They seem to be the only company that practices Kaisen/Gemba - responding in almost real time to user feedback and obvious shortcomings. Other companies should follow this excellent lead. Just wish the emitters were a bit friendlier BIN.:thinking: