Painting With Light

Witnessonly

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading about various folk on this forum that have been using the humble (and not so humble) flashlight as a lighting tool, much like a painter uses a brush. I have also seen some excellent examples of this 'style' posted in various threads.

I, like a few others here have been educating ourselves via this forum as to which flashlights are useful for this purpose.

So I thought that we might be able give them their own little space.

May I start the ball rolling with a few recent ones of mine...

_MG_1279.jpg

MM8M2085vivII.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0668dist.jpg

OS74

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading about various folk on this forum that have been using the humble (and not so humble) flashlight as a lighting tool, much like a painter uses a brush. I have also seen some excellent examples of this 'style' posted in various threads.

I, like a few others here have been educating ourselves via this forum as to which flashlights are useful for this purpose.

Very nice photos! Do you have any advice on the technique? Exposure and material? I suppose you are using very long shutter time and small apperture...

/OS

Witnessonly

Newly Enlightened
Firstly to frisco, nice set of toys you have there to play with, beats my found pushbike lit with a WF-600 on a 5D2... I think I want to visit your sandbox :cool:

To OS74, Longer exposures are easier to get your head around to start with, and they give you more time to 'paint'.
So to begin with, go out and give it a go... So chose a flashlight, one that you think will do the job and try a few test shots, chances are you'll get the idea pretty quickly as to what the light is doing to your scene.
One hint that might get you going in the right direction is to remember that you don't have to be standing next to the camera to light the scene, and the use of a self timer might give you a little head start in this regard.

The rest for now I'd like to leave open... Wouldn't want to set in play too many rules, it stifles creativity and all that fun stuff :rolleyes:

jrtf83

Newly Enlightened
i've tried it but not to any significant success. Witness, are those HDR'd as well? They definitely have the look.

Beautiful shots.

Witnessonly

Newly Enlightened
DM51,

Thanks for your kind words, I'm new to this technique so these shots might well fall into the 'beginners luck' folder ;) Thanks for the links as well, I see that there are some very accomplished photographers out there using this idea, I'm hoping to learn and improve by watching and reading about this developing field.

Marcel 's (awesome) work inspired me to pick up a Zebralight H501W (arrived yesterday), and also to understand that throw and a tight beam aren't always going to be your best solution. Oh so much to learn :)

I'm a little inspired ATM lovecpf

Regards,

WO

Witnessonly

Newly Enlightened
Jrtf83,

You should post your results even if they're not 'exactly' what you wanted, maybe a few tips from the experts might turn up, otherwise we can see what else we could try :)

As to HDR, not on these shots, more to do with timing it with the ambient light levels, I'm finding that there is a pretty small window of 'great' light maybe 10-15 mins at early dusk that's working for me ATM.

Don't be too discouraged, there are so many variables to this technique I think failure is going to be a large part of our development :D But then the creative process says this is standard :D:D

WO

Witnessonly

Newly Enlightened
Very flavorsome arabbit,

The omni-omni directional aspect creates a very etherial feel to the shots, 'flowers' is my pick, portrait maybe lacks some darker areas to accentuate the 'light', just my 2 cents worth though and no disrespect meant, some good work here for sure.

WO

Witnessonly

Newly Enlightened
:eek: Cheers G, it's definitely a work in progress.

The funniest bit has been dealing with the odd looks from passers by who can only see the 'crazy guy' waving around 2 big torches.
With, from time to time torches attached to lighting stands standing in a foot of water.

To some I offer a look at the back of the camera, just to relieve them of their worry/curiosity, to others... well... I let them wonder :thinking: (remembering that the camera is generally pretty hard to see and may not be anywhere near me).

A definite tinfoiler moment :tinfoil:

WO