Questions regarding the Reactor 3AA.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I've just started out into the world of flashlights, and the LED flashlights, has really fascinated me! Currently, I own the following:

- 3 LED Ultra bright headlight;
- CMG Infinity Ultra;
- CMG Reactor 3AA;

That's all.... I know that it's quite little, but I'm just like an infant in the world of flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What really captivated me is the LED's reliability and brightness. I used to have complains regarding the incandescent light's battery time and bulb life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Anyway, the main purpose of this post is some questions regarding the CMG Reactor 3AA. The unit seems sturdy and long enough that I am very tempted to use it as a weapon for self defense. I reckon that a hard knock on the head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif of an unfortunate victim should cause some serious damage, or will the unfortunate victim be my Reactor 3AA (and eventually me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyone actually tried to hit the Reactor 3AA against something hard? What was the result? Thanks!

PS: I am not intending to use it as a weapon to attack someone, but though of using it as a weapon for self defense in case I am attacked in some dark corners. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF.

I think you could find a better self-defense light than the CMG Reactor III, and I suspect if it came down to it, the lights disposition would be less important than your own safety.

Although their value as a flashlight might be questionable, a 6D Maglite would be a pretty good self defense weapon, [plus you wouldn't be out much if you did break it].

danno

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the wonderful (and wonderfully addicting) world of LED flashlights. If you're just starting out, you've got to visit ledmuseum.home.att.net and flashlightreviews.com, both of which are run by CPF members (and both have reviews of the CMG Reactor).
The Reactor 3 is a fairly small light, so I'm not sure it would be a very good self-defense tool. An Electrolumens Blaster would probably be a better choice. (You also might take the route of modifying a light yourself).
Welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened
It is an interesting question if you take the "defense" part out though:

"Has anyone broken a Reactor?"

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've heard of just one Reactor becoming broken by accident.
I think I read about it on the Homemade and Modified Lights forum just a few days ago. Searching that forum for "reactor" ought to dig that thread up.

(Edit) Try this thread and see what happens.

tech

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing it would be good for jabbing in the throat or other soft place, but I don't think it would do much damage to an assailant if used to bonk them on the head...just isn't heavy enough...

T.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Spango, welcome to CPF. You'll find lots of good people here as well as tons of great info on all sorts of flashlights. Enjoy!

Now, on to the Reactor 3's defensive capabilities. You can certainly use it to whack an assailant on the head with it, but since the Reactor's head is made of plastic, you may end up damaging the unit.

I would say a Maglite is a better impact weapon. After all, isn't that about the only thing they're good for?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF's. I am rather new here also but have been a Flashaholic for a very long time. I hope you are as happy to have found this place as I have been. Can't answer your question, just wanted to say welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Thank you for the warm welcome into this forum. I found this forum a couple of weeks back, and discovered that it is as wonderful (and addictive) as the world of LED flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Originally, I bought the Reactor 3AA for its light (hope I've made a good choice here) as I was pretty much impressed with their Infinity Ultra. As I was toying with the light, I noticed that it is longer than the original Reactor, and the size is similar to a mini baton, so I was wondering about its self defense value. The plastic head looks flimsy when compared to the body though, maybe it'd be a good idea if I use the tail part to wack the living daylights out of my potential assailant instead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Should I test it out by /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gifing my own head to see if it works? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (Just kidding)...

Anyway, how is the original Reactor when compared to the Reactor 3AA? Does it give out a reasonable amount of light when used with the Lithium batteries? The size of the original Reactor is shorter, hence should be easier to carry around, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was thinking of carrying the Infinity Ultra with me, but my pockets are usually full with other items, and stringing it around my neck will attract to much unnecessary attention. Hence, I was wondering if there are those holsters (like those for cell phones) that can be worn on the belt available? That should make the light more discrete for carrying around everyday.

Thank you!

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
The Reactor 3AA would be effective when using the tail as impact point in a hammer fist maneuver, i.e., smashing someone with the bottom of your fist. The Reactor 3AA is not sturdy enough to use a baton. If you want to use a flashlight as a baton, I suggest using a 3-cell or 4-cell Maglite with an Epieon installed.

Other good flashlights that can be used as Kubotans are a Mini Maglite with an Opalec NewBeam installed or a Streamlight BatonLite

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. According to a CMG tech, the 3AA Reactor is brighter than a 2AA with lithiums. Do not put lithiums in your 3AA. I don't recommend the 2AA without lithiums - it's pretty weak on alkalines.

Since you like this style light, a modified Brinkmann 2AA is a must. (I no longer will have anything to do with a MagLight). Visit the Sandwich Shop or do a search for Bad Boy or Mad Max. With one of these premium little drop in modules, you'll have a light that's much brighter and whiter than anything that you've seen so far and will run off of alkalines or NiMH rechargeables.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
Welcome to CPF. According to a CMG tech, the 3AA Reactor is brighter than a 2AA with lithiums. Do not put lithiums in your 3AA. I don't recommend the 2AA without lithiums - it's pretty weak on alkalines.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting.....
A friend of mine has discovered that running his Reactor-2 on the new Kodak oxy/alkaline 1.7Volt AAs gives him almost the same brightness as running the L91 Lithium cells does..-for about 1/2 of the operating cost.

I've seen it, and I'm impressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard someone else comment on those new cells, but I'm not familiar with them. One of the reviewers did a test on the standard alkaline vs the lithiums and determined that it was much more cost effective to use the lithiums. I'm going from memory here, but it was something like the lithiums would run for 10 hours until they hit 50% decrease in brightness. And at that level, it was still the same brightness as the alkalines were brand new at the start. The alks would decrease to 50% in an hour to an hour and a half. He did the math and I don't remember what it was, but I think it was 4 or 5 times cheaper to use the lithiums.

It's like a good radial tire vs a conventional tire. Lets take a $40 tire that lasts 30K miles and a $70 tire that lasts 70K miles. The more expensive tire is cheaper even though its initial cost is more. It lasts more than twice as long at less than twice the price.

The question about the new alks is how long do they last at their higher brightness. I'd be interested to know. I'll have to get some of those cells and play around with them. I'm kinda of a battery nut as well as a rampant flashaholic.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
We were thinking about the non-flat discharge curve of the oxy/alk. compared to the relative flatness of the L91 Li discharge curve.

After approx. 30 min. operation, the open circuit voltage of both of the oxy cells was still 1.6V+ -giving superior brightness when compared to Brand New Duracell Ultra 3s in the same Reactor-2 flashlight. (and are comparably priced with the Kodak Oxy/Alkalines)

stay tuned......