need a new EDC Light.

txdude321

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys I am new to the forum i have been reading on here for quite a while now and i am slowly becoming addicted to flashlights and I want to finally go ahead and buy something a little bit more high end. Right now I EDC a Streamlight stylus pro while it is a great light i just want something with a little more punch in it and i am starting to really appreciate having a quality light with me at all times, Im not really worried about the cost and I think that you get what you pay for and that you should buy what you want the first time.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
_x___I am in North America. More precisely I am in Texas .
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
____I could spend $40-60.
__x__I am willing to spend $80-$120.
__x__I have no limit!

2) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
__x__2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
__x__4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

_x___I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
__x__I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__x__I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
__x__I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
__x__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)-----------------x-----|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
__x__60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
_x___I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
_x___I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
__x__I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__(nice to have, not nesissisary)__I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
__x__I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
__x__Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
__x__Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

As of now I have a few lights that I have sparked Interest in and i know they are all over the board as far as price/features ect. I was wondering what your opinions are of these lights and if there is a better light based on my answers.

Here is the list of lights im Interested in:

1.) Surefire E2D LED Defender
2.) Surefire LX2 Lumamax
3.) Surefire 6P LED
4.) Olight M21 warrior
5.) Quark 123² Tactical R5
6.) Fenix LD20

Right now from those on my list im really digging the Surefire E2D LED Defender. How is that for an EDC light?

I really appreciate you reading and look forward to your recomendations

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Below I've linked to a thread very similar to yours, and the thread this gentleman posted after receiving his light. I thought you might find it helpful. I recommend the 4sevens, Quark 123x2 Tactical. The R2 emitter will have more throw and the R5 emitter will have more flood/spill. FYI, the R2 is on sale, and comes with a Prism kit to boot. Use the CPF8 discount code during checkout for 8% off.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273152
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273764

Last edited:

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Check out the EagleTac T20C2 MkII and P20C2 MkII. Both are 300 lumens OTF (out the front). They are basically 2-level lights with a rear forward clickie. With the head tightened, click on for max level. Loosen the head a bit (~10-15 degrees) an it goes to med level (60 lumens).

But that's not all, there are "hidden levels". From the loosened position, tighten-then-loosen quickly and it goes to low mode. Repeat and it goes to tactical strobe. Repeat again and it goes to beacon. Repeat again and it goes to SOS. Repeat again and it goes to low to start the whole process again. There is no memory for the "hidden" modes so if you had it on low when you click it off, when you click it on again, it will go to med (head loosened position).

Since they have a forward clickie you can activate the hi and med levels, depending on head tightened or loosened, momentarily meaning that if you can half-press the switch without having to click it on. Also, if you need the tactical strobe feature quickly and don't have time to go into the "hidden" modes, 2 half-presses wicll give you momentary strobe and 2 full-clicks will turn on strobe (or a half-press+full-click).

My T20C2 MkII came with a diffuser that you can replace the stainless steel crenelated bezel with for a nice flood light. Other features include a rubber tactical grip ring for easier cigar-style grip, a rubber tailstanding boot that you can put on to allow the light to tail stand, a removable clip and you can get a different drop-in (proprietary) from EagelTac if you want say a smooth reflector over OP (orange peel) or a different emitter. There is also an RGB filter kit that you can add as an option. A holster is included.

I got the T20C2 MkII over the P20C2 MkII due to the T20C2's ability to accept a 18650 LiIon battery which I already had. The P20C2 is a bit smaller if you like that and don't need 18650 support but I think it does take a 17670 cell and both accept 2x16340/RCR123 cells.

Oh, and there is a CPF discount that'll save you a few bucks.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
HDS SYSTEMS Clicky.
2cents.gif

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you got it right so far with you list as I was reading over your requirement check list I was thinking either E2DL or LX2, depending if you do want a clicky or twisty.

Another light I have been very impressed with that I carry now everyday is the Eagletac P20C2 MKII. Like already suggested there is also the T20C2 MKII which you could use 18650 battery but it is bigger.