Is it time to upgrade from the Proton Pro? SC50w or LF2XT?

Yapo

Enlightened
Hey all!

I've been edcing the proton pro ever since i got it about 1.5 years ago as it is a very versatile light and also has a great deep pocket clip but ive always wished that it had a nicer, smoother beam pattern as well as a higher max output.

Ive recently been looking at the Zebralight SC50w and the LiteFlux LF2XT to replace my trusty Proton Pro as both lights seem to have:

- smooth beam patterns
- a nice UI (LF2XT sounds nicer)
- a low low (LF2XT is lower)
- pocket clip
- a warm tint available which everyone seems to love so i've been ever so wanting to try!

The SC50w also has the higher max which i was looking for but it's 0.6lumen minimum output will be similar to the 0.5lumen white led on the proton pro but it wont be able to get anywhere near as low as the red output.

Although the proton pro cant be turned on at minimum white output.
Also it has a side clicky which i've found from my proton pro, is more comfortable/easier to use.

As for the LF2XT, it has a lower low and a more flexible/customizable/fun UI(with battery voltage check!) but the maximum output isnt quite as high and it's also more floody(although i prefer to have more throw) as it is after all a AAA light which i am considering as i have some AAA LSD rechargables lying around which i got for my fenix L0D but the low frequency PWM irritated me too much.

I never got the LF5XT as the minimum output wasnt low enough and the body looked a bit plain to me and also it didnt have a pocket clip.

Anyone know if there's an updated version with lower low coming out anytime soon?

I'm open to other suggestions to lights i may have missed or that are yet to come out.

I usually prefer a AA light over AAA due to the longer runtimes but i do have more AAAs lying around and also i prefer to stick to LSD NiMH and not Li-ions.

Oh and no i cant get both as much i want them...i've barely got the $ for 1 :(

Thx!

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is it time to upgrade from the Proton Pro?

You don't state what Proton Pro you have, and I think there has now been three, including the new one which is suppose to be 20% brighter.

I loved my Proton Pro. I am sorry everyday that I sold it. When the next LED upgrade happens I am buying one immediately. I think the size, UI, and additional RED led make it a perfect light. I just want one that is a little brighter than todays model.

Bill

Kindle

Enlightened

Both good lights.

That being you listed a longer list of positives for the Zebralight. ;)

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened

I wanted the love the Proton Pro & checked out a loaner from a friend (latest model). I prefer the red light at night around the house, like a decently tight beam for throw outside in a small light and the idea of having it all in one small light with no filter was really appealing.

My complaints were the same though. The high was not high enough outside & the beam quality of both the red & white led left a lot to be desired.

I picked up a warm white LF2XT and have been blown away by the quality of the beam & tint, machining, UI & the way the light feels in the hand.

On just an Eneloop the quality & quantity of light it makes will make you smile. The lithium ion's should be here tomorrow & am looking forward to trying them out.

Can't recommend that light highly enough & I've tried a Bitz ti, a Sundrop, a bunch of Quarks (warm & regular mini's incl.) and a slew of others of late.

It is a unique light & deserves a look.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I'd like to see an upgraded Proton Pro, too. This is still one of my favorite lights, but I've hardly carried it since getting the LF2XT. Somehow the Photon people need to figure out a way to get the low to come up first, while not losing the uniqueness (except for Ra) of having the red LED.

Geoff

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to see an upgraded Proton Pro, too. This is still one of my favorite lights, but I've hardly carried it since getting the LF2XT. Somehow the Photon people need to figure out a way to get the low to come up first, while not losing the uniqueness (except for Ra) of having the red LED.

Geoff

I think that would be better as well. I think I've seen the official explanation and that is that for those who need a high beam first there is the white led and for those who need a low light first to not interfere with night adapted eyes there is the red led.

Since this is a small light and is not going to be used as a police light which probably needs to come on bright first I think the white led should be changed to come on low first as well as the red led.

I don't know why when they upgrade the led they didn't just go to the R2 bin. Actually, now with XP-G's around, they should use that. It's more efficient, it has enough throw for a small light like the Proton Pro and it doesn't have to be driven to 325 lumens. Drive it to whatever the heat dissipation will allow. If it can handle 325 lumens then do that. With the ramping it's easy to adjust it down as necessary. The beam pattern of the XP-G would look much better.

It's a great light (I have one) but I never understand why they limit it like they do.

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

I never got the LF5XT as the minimum output wasnt low enough and the body looked a bit plain to me and also it didnt have a pocket clip.

Anyone know if there's an updated version with lower low coming out anytime soon?

Soon I haven't heard but they did announce working on a replacement. Since the 3XT and 2XT showed continuous improvements on the UI with other changes (clip, neutral emitter in the 2XT) I am hoping for a 5XT with clip and one of the neutral XP-Gs.

No expected release date that I have seen though.

mbw_151

Enlightened

I've always wished that LRI made a version of the Proton without the red LED and with the UI of the Photon Freedom, but it hasn't happened. You don't say anything about needing the red. If that's the case, consider a Quark AA. Available in warm, good UI, very low low, pocket clip, reasonably smooth beam, nothing is missing. You can buy one from 4Sevens as parts, warm XR-E head, body and switch. The warm (Quark Neutral White) lights have been limited editions which are sold out but parts are still available.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic

Ironically . . . .

the thing i like BEST about my Photon Proton Pro

is the excellent Deep Pocket Carrying Clip ! ! !

:kiss:

Stainless Steel, no less !

Yapo

Enlightened

Which proton pro i have?

Well the 1st 1 with 5mm leds was just called proton so the 1 i have has the cree XR-E led although i dont know which bin.

As to the LF2XT that a few of you have, hows the output n general use n clip compare to the proton pro?

I assume not many of you have the Zebralight?

As for quark AA it has a nice 0.2Lumen low but i dont really like the idea of having to change grips when clicking the tail and twisting the head...which i discovered on my Olight T10.

Also i do have a AA mini as well but it has no clip which ive gotten so used to having and the low mode isnt quite low enough.

And i have to agree the deep pocketclip is really awesome! Easy to slip on n off but deep enough to stay on securely! :D

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have both the Zebralight and LF2XT?

Yes the ZL H50. I love headlamps and love the H50. I am anxiously awaiting a ZL headlamp with a lower low moon mode. I like the beam of the flood of the H50 but would probably prefer the 80 degree flood as opposed to the 120 degree flood. The H31/H51 is reflectorized so not sure I will like that. The H501 has been said there is a lower low but not a moon mode per se like the H31 has or the H501 RED LED model.

The LF2XT is awesome. The functionality of having 2 independant UIs the CUI and the FUI. The voltage check is one of the best tools I wish more lights have. The very low low is superb. One of my favorite AAA lights.

Yapo

Enlightened
oh i meant the Zebralight SC50w flashlight not the H50 headlight...I've got a H501 though which i use from time to time...the pocket clip for that makes for a nice stand or hands free!

Yapo

Enlightened
Hey all!

Just thought i'd let you all know that i've gone with the LF2XT.

There aren't many in natural left so i thought i would grab one before they're all gone and also the Zebralights are rather new so will probably be around for awhile more to come so i can still get one later on down the track when i get the money for one(and/or the new LF5XT equivalent!:naughty:)!

Hope i get a nice tint and trouble free light real soon!

Thanks for your help guys!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Hope you're happy with your choice, Yapo. I certainly have been. Don't get discouraged at first with the programming. It's really pretty simple, just a bit of it, and you'll get plenty of assistance here if needed.

Geoff

Yapo

Enlightened
Thx i hope so too!

Now for the long wait for the money to transfer(which sadly doesnt happen over the weekend) and order to ship and package to get to my mailbox and light into my hands!:popcorn:

pae77

Enlightened
I've now got both an LF2XT and an SC50w and they are both great lights. But I have to say the LF2XT is the best light I've ever had the pleasure of using and seems to me to be in a unique class of its own. I'm dying for LF to come out with a new single AA version. I'll be ordering one of those as soon as it becomes available, which hopefully won't be too far in the future.

In the meantime, I'm using the ZL SC50w as my single AA EDC and it's a very nice light overall. It has a good UI (but the Liteflux is quite a bit better in that dept), good beam/tint, (but again the LF is just a little better, although this is a very subjective area for sure and I'm sure some would probably prefer the ZL's beam and tint).

The best things about the SC50w, imo, are the super compact size (for a single AA light), the very nice and solid build quality, one of the best designed heat sinks, the nice side mounted electronic clicky, decent runtimes and efficiency, and that it has a very low low and can output 169 Lm on high when powered by a 14500 which it is designed to handle safely and efficiently.

The only real issues I've had with the SC50w is that mine tends to come on if clipped inside my jeans pocket. So I've taken to locking it out for pocket and bag carry, which fortunately is easy to do (and undo) one handed with just a tiny amount of twist on the tail cap. The other issue is pretty minor but I'm not wild about the shiny non stainless steel clip. But the clip is strong and it can be lightly sanded with steel wool or fine sandpaper to take the shine down to a satin finish. Just hope it doesn't rust over time.

But having all that 14500 power, pretty nice beam and neutral tint, and the other easily accessible modes, in such a compact and light flashlight (I think it's about the same size as the Q. AA Mini) is really great and, at least until I can get a single AA Liteflux (if they ever come out with a new version), the ZL SC50w will be a great companion to me.

Last edited:

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened

Which proton pro i have?

Well the 1st 1 with 5mm leds was just called proton so the 1 i have has the cree XR-E led although i dont know which bin.

If it's 1.5 yrs old, that's definitely the first of the cree LEDs. The newer version (approx. 20% brighter) started shipping around September/October of last year if I recall correctly. LRI is now claiming max output at around 115 lumens. As far as other improvements, the material for the rubber button covering the switch was upgraded 2-3 months ago, which should improve long-term durability quite a bit as this was the one point that seemed to wear prematurely for some users.

Latest posts