do you use a lense with a terralux 300m

Pete Mcrash

Newly Enlightened
........i was thinking about getting a UCL for my mag but the drop in has it's own (3).........so should i use a lense for saftey or leave it off..???....cheers Pete

Kindle

Enlightened
Which would you rather replace if it gets scratched...the entire drop-in or the lens (window) in front of it?

JCD

Enlightened
FYI: A lens refocuses light. A window simply allows light to pass through, without significantly affecting its focus.

I can think of two reasons for a window. First, as has already been mentioned, it adds protection to the optic of your drop-in. For protection, a UCL window is probably not the best choice, as they can be fragile.

Second, is your light water resistant without a window? How does the drop-in seal to the head? A window and an o-ring may offer protection from the elements that you lack without a window.

Pete Mcrash

Newly Enlightened
see now i'm stumped......i just thought a UCL was a better/clearer thing to have.......so where do i get better "windows" from.........Pete

JCD

Enlightened
see now i'm stumped......i just thought a UCL was a better/clearer thing to have.......so where do i get better "windows" from.........Pete

UCL windows allow more light to pass through (by a very small margin). In practice, you're unlikely to notice the slight improvement. UCL windows tend to be more fragile than a Lexan, Pyrex, or Borofloat windows. Depending on how you use the light, that may or may not matter to you.

Pete Mcrash

Newly Enlightened
UCL windows allow more light to pass through (by a very small margin). In practice, you're unlikely to notice the slight improvement. UCL windows tend to be more fragile than a Lexan, Pyrex, or Borofloat windows. Depending on how you use the light, that may or may not matter to you.
.......thanks for that....:thumbsup:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want your Maglite to still be water resistant after you install the TLE-300M drop-in, it will need to have a window. You can keep the stock plastic Maglite one if you want to.

Pete Mcrash

Newly Enlightened
If you want your Maglite to still be water resistant after you install the TLE-300M drop-in, it will need to have a window. You can keep the stock plastic Maglite one if you want to.
.........yeh i'll keep the original.....i was under the impression a UCL was "the dogs bollacks".........not in this case.....:thumbsup:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes i use a stock mag lens, for all of the reasons mentioned above. manufacturer also thinks you need one, that is why it comes with a thick o ring.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FWIW... the Surefire 6P OEM Pyrex lens blocks ~10% more light out the front as compared to a UCL coated lens. My Malkoff M60 did ~205 OTF of a stock 6P with the OEM SF lens. Others are measuring theirs in the 220+ Lumen range using coated UCL.

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
FWIW... the Surefire 6P OEM Pyrex lens blocks ~10% more light out the front as compared to a UCL coated lens. My Malkoff M60 did ~205 OTF of a stock 6P with the OEM SF lens. Others are measuring theirs in the 220+ Lumen range using coated UCL.

Can you tell the difference in practice? Are there tasks that the 6P/M60 combo can accomplish with the UCL window that it can't handle with the Pyrex window?

I agree that UCL blocks less light than Pyrex, but I doubt I could tell the difference with my naked eyes.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Can you tell the difference in practice? Are there tasks that the 6P/M60 combo can accomplish with the UCL window that it can't handle with the Pyrex window?

I agree that UCL blocks less light than Pyrex, but I doubt I could tell the difference with my naked eyes.

I have never actually A/B compared them... aside from measuring it in a sphere.

tolkaze

Enlightened
~10% is not too bad when talking 220+ down to 205ish, but when you are talking several hundred more lumens otf, then 10% could make a bit more difference. But honestly, you would still have to see two very closely matched units side by side to see the difference.

What I have noticed is that when the stock plastic window on mine started getting scratched up, it scattered more light in the immediate vicinity, so when spotting something over a fence, or near a tree, there was an increased amount of spill light...