Osram Golden Dragon Plus vs. Cree XR-E / XP-G

123Sven321

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'd like to know how the Osram Golden Dragon Plus behaves in terms of throw.
Has anyone tested the Osram GDP in comparison with an XP-G or an XR-E?

I have a Romisen RC-P3 (with Cree XR-E LED), which I like very much because of the side switch.
The only downside of the light is its quite narrow beam pattern.
For some applications the good throw is nice, but at the moment I want a light that can light an area more evenly.

I have heard of the possibility to mod XR-E based lights with an XP-G LED to get a wider hot-spot and more spill.
That would be OK and I could do that.
But currently I have an Osram GDP in a nice neutral tint lying around which I would like to mount in a flashlight.

Which LED would give me the biggest hot-spot with nice bright spill?
Do I have to go to the XP-G or can I use the GDP?

Sven

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen a direct comparison between the GDP & the new Cree emitters.

In my experience, the old XR-E emitters produced a very intense hot spot, then some dark rings around the hotspot and then an average spill.

The GDP will produce a smaller hotspot and a very nice, gradual transition to spill. Ra lights use the GDP to produce a light with more throw than their P4 models.

The GDP emitters are tiny in comparison to other emitter types.

James....:)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tested the Osram Diamond Dragon:confused: If the Golden is anything like the Diamond Dragon then stay clear of it for throw.

The Diamond Dragon beam in a Mag hosts with smooth reflector is floody like a P7 if not more floody.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Golden Dragon is not the Diamond dragon :grin2: Golden dragon produces beam roughly similar to XP-E.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Golden Dragon is not the Diamond dragon :grin2: Golden dragon produces beam roughly similar to XP-E.

I tried the Diamond dragon . and the beam is a lot like a XP-G in a P60 with a OP reflector .

SSC P4 / DD / XP-G / Luxeon K2 TFFC / all similar , not exactly the same , but similar [ more floody ] [ P60 ]

I would rate output , XP-G R5 , DD [ if its a good one ] , Luxeon K2 TFFC , SSC P4 .

123Sven321

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

just wanted to post a reply to my own question:

I have yesterday put the osram GDP into a Romisen RC-G2 (this light has the same reflector as the Romisen RC-P3) which is initially equipped with a Cree XR-C.

The Osram GDP fits the reflector quite nicely.
The LED has to be put directly under the reflector without the smallest space between. You may grind a bit off the bottom of the reflector (maybe 0.1mm) to change the beam pattern (narrow beam vs. more flood).

When the LED sits just directly at the bottom of the reflector the beam profile is very tight with a small hotspot.

If you grind away more of the reflector and bring the LED deeper into the reflector, the Beam gets wider until you nearly get pure flood. If you put the LED too far into the Reflector, there will be a donut hole in the middle of the hotspot.

When mounting the LED you must consider the extreme wide beam of the Osram GDP. It has nearly a 180 degree beam!!! This means the smallest gap between LED and reflector will lead to massive loss of output!!!!
When doing a ceiling-bounce test you can clearly see the difference in output when there is only a tiny little gap between LED and reflector.

That's my experience with the GDP.

Sven

123Sven321

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the throw seems very good.
But you can get nearly pure flood also.
That's what I wanted to say.