Flashlight hack

sog13

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the forum so this may have been covered. But I saw a video of a guy takeing a cheap flashlight, giving it better batteries and a new bulb. Is this on the up-n-up?

Sgt Pinback

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome to the Forums. I'm sure we all hope you'll enjoy your time here.

First, I should probably mention this is the wrong place for this discussion - this one is for buying and selling custom flashlights. You could drop a line to a moderator to ask it be moved.

To answer your question, yes there are hacks like that and they do work. There's often downsides, eg an uprated system might run so hot it melts the case with sustained use. But if you're careful and read around then there's lots of ways to experiment and modify a cheap torch if you want to.

Have fun :)

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, sog13 :)

As Sgt. Pinback says, B/S/T is for sales/trades only, so I'll move your thread to Homemade & Modified. You'll see that whole section is about making or modifying lights, so there's plenty of reading for you there.

Noctis

Enlightened
I'm new to the forum so this may have been covered. But I saw a video of a guy takeing a cheap flashlight, giving it better batteries and a new bulb. Is this on the up-n-up?
I saw a video like that too with an Eveready flashlight, and it's very likely you'll melt the plastic body like that.

It's probably easier to buy a cheap DX light and read up on some soldering.

gollum

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF

be warned that anywhere from 1-365 days,
you'll be a flashaholic and looking at Titanium custom lights worth hundreds

the last couple of years has seen a massive increase in technology and quality of flashlights in general

have fun :)