Newly Enlightened
fb862352.jpg

fb86234f.jpg

fb86234b.jpg

fb86231f.jpg

Left is L1(high) Right is 3 1w

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is some mighty fine work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Professional grade.

I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship. How doe sit work? Beamshots?

Wilkey

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks really good. But details! Details!

How is the battery life and brightness? And the other all-important question: how is the heat transfer? I'm guessing the lenses are standard NX05 held in place by pressing against the Maglight lens?

With 3 micropucks tapping from 2 D cells, how is the total current draw? I'm guessing it would be quite a fair bit, maybe 1.5A? I had a suggestion that in such applications, to use a large capacitor (2000uF 3V or better) in parallel to reduce losses or resistance or something. It's supposed to boost the instantaneous available current so that the micropuck can perform to specification without getting stymied by the internal resistance of the cells.

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
1. Current Draw: 1.35A

2. Run Time: 10 hours+

3. Optics: NX05 (I tried NX01, it produces a very nice and even spot but a lot bigger.)

4. Heat Issue: Use Artic Silver, the heat sink is big enough for 1w. I left it on last night for 8 hours, seems no problem.

5. The base: Just remove the bulb and drop in, the central pole is +ve, the heat sink is negative. In between the pole and the heat sink is a layer of clear epoxy.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
COOL
and just like chief's said, "nice craftmanship there"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
WOW, very nice! I love how you can see all the electronics.

10+ hours though??!!??!! :O
What batts?
How many hours till about 70% of max brightness?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow Desi, what everybody said. Something like that is not exactly easy to put together. Very nice!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well done desmond! Chunky heatsink. How does the light compare to a 5watter in a reflector?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

it looks like you used epoxy to isolate the postive from the negative heatsink. is this the case? i've found this to be the ideal solution for such things. in the past i have messed with delrin, but epoxy seems to work much better.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding! I like triple Luxeon setups and your's has the nice "symetrical" look to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your comments. I'm only putting bit and pieces together that I've learnt from all you guys. It's a great encouragement from all of you.

jtice:
10+ hours though?
I've left it on for 8 hours and it's dimmer but still alot brigter than L1.
What batts?
2 D alkaline cell
How many hours till about 70% of max brightness?
Don't know, I don't have a meter.

hotbeam:
How does the light compare to a 5watter in a reflector?
No contest. I am trying to mod a flashlight that is used for night walking i.e. more flood than spot and run on normal D cell.

Rothrandir:
Yes, I use clear epoxy. Wait for 30 mins then trim off the excess.

JonSidneyB:
Ok....sell it to me
No, sorry. But I can give you the drawing. It's quite easy to make.

***By the way, I've to thank Mr. Bulk for your SNII. It's a light that belongs to the future.***

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I only had a lathe...

Very nice. I like this idea a lot - the Luxeons are not being over driven (heat shouldn't really be an issue) and the use of the micopucks allows just 2D cells. A good, general purpose semi-flood. VERY nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon