Prometheus        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need an AM radio with excellent reception

Default Re: Need an AM radio with excellent reception

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Umbra View Post
    buy a lower mid-range priced car radio.
    I agree with the car radio idea to make a really nice tabletop or living-room unit; a set of high-quality car speakers mounted in a proper box(es) makes for a near audiophile listening experience.

But car radios don't really have the needed features for DXing, namely an attenuator (to make the antenna as strong or weak as needed) or band filters. It's true that they don't have their own antenna, but most modern radios, when connected to an external antenna, disable their internal one. Plus a good external antenna has a lot of placement options; the CCrane's modular design means you can set the antenna far away from the radio or even outdoors. As I noted above, I've connected the Twin Coil directly to my radio and set the antenna across the room - I can place my laptop right next to the radio and there's no noise.

I'd still love to one day do a modern boombox using a car radio though; a pair of 6x9" midranges and an 8" square subwoofer with its own amp, Li-Ion packs powering everything, it'd definitely sound like a car system..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    ...But car radios don't really have the needed features for DXing, namely an attenuator (to make the antenna as strong or weak as needed) or band filters....
    I must respectfully disagree. I have personally done a great deal of MW DXing with car radios hooked up to hot custom antennas as described in my post. I will grant you that performance may be enhanced by more expensive equipment -- but I very seriously doubt that anyone reading this could afford any rig that would outperform the equipment I've discribed by more than 3% (which would still be undiscernable anyway.)

And one could still add a DSP to the output for more control...

Good night all, hope this evening finds you all well,
    Sub

Flashaholic

I dunno man, I've listened to a lot of MW DX on car radios, and while they do a great job for driving around in a car, I'd never choose one of them over a communications receiver. Filter selection alone would dig out signals the car radio cannot. On my radio I can slightly vary the IF frequency so the filter curve is tunable to remove interference - you can't do that with a car radio. I can also vary the gain to exploit the sweet spot where an interfering signal drops to the floor and I can cleanly listen to that frequency that was getting hammered. And I always have the option of changing mode to SSB to totally eliminate wash from an adjacent frequency.

Flashaholic

The 7600GR uses a BFO.
    I don't think it does. I've reviewed it's features and it selects SSB as a mode, so I'm pretty sure it does SSB by filter selection and not BFO.

I've got an 818CS that does have a BFO, and I can tell you it's an inferior method for SSB reception. The bandwidth is the same as AM and doesn't do well to reject the alternate sideband.

I assume that all radios which have synchronous detection select sideband by filter and use this as part of the synchronous detection technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Umbra View Post
    but I very seriously doubt that anyone reading this could afford any rig that would outperform the equipment I've discribed by more than 3%
    I would agree that the car receiver is far more powerful than anything you could buy at your local store; but you're going to run into problems when DXing that a good receiver alone can't fix. If you were to compare the car head unit to a good shortwave receiver on stations that are out in the open, I'd wager your 3% difference figure would be correct. But if you were to compare the total number of legibly received stations, the shortwave's bag of tuning tricks give it a big unfair advantage, it would receive many more stations than the car rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiophile View Post
    I don't think it does.
    The manual says it does. Using the SSB on a standard AM station nets the Daffy Duck effect, it's definitely not the same as the sync..

Odd that we've had 35 posts on this subject, by Americans, who claim radio knowledge,

but nobody has mentioned the Zenith TransOceanic.

Flashaholic

Using the SSB on a standard AM station nets the Daffy Duck effect, it's definitely not the same as the sync..
    It isn't the same as synchronous detection, you then have to manually fine tune for best audio. Synchronous detection does that for you automagically. I believe the fine tune pot is on the same side as the synchronous detection switch, opposite the volume pot.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by lctorana View Post
    Odd that we've had 35 posts on this subject, by Americans, who claim radio knowledge, but nobody has mentioned the Zenith TransOceanic.
    That's because the OP wants a radio with good MW reception. I can name several radios costing much less than a TransOcanic that are better on AM.

Don't get me wrong, they were and are fine SW radios and some were even the best in their day for the general consumer, but I'll take my TS450 over any of them now for shortwave, and any Superadio for MW.

Besides, the TransOceanic is heavily collected and even the less sought after models are still much more expensive than a Superadio. 15 years ago I decided against ever buying a TransOceanic because of the premium they demand. Even really poor condition examples sell for lots of money as parts radios to refurbish a shelf queen found in Grandpa's attic.

Fine radios - yes. Pretty radios - definitely. Great MW radios - not really.

Quote Originally Posted by lctorana View Post
    but nobody has mentioned the Zenith TransOceanic.
    The TransOceanic is a great collectible unit, but the bar for reception performance has gotten higher since then. They're not uncommon on EBay, but if you want something similar with better performance and collectablity, look into a Sony Earth Orbiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiophile View Post
    I believe the fine tune pot is on the same side as the synchronous detection switch, opposite the volume pot.
    Yes, I've used the SSB successfully many times to listen to Armed Forces Radio; if you use it on a non-SSB broadcast, you just get the quack effect regardless of where you set it.

In regards to the Superadio three versions have been mentioned. Is the Superadio III the one to go looking for or do the first two models stand out as better stock versions?

What about the RCA RP7887 compared to the older Superadios versions?
    Last edited by filibuster; 07-07-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by filibuster View Post
    In regards to the Superadio three versions have been mentioned. Is the Superadio III the one to go looking for or do the first two models stand out as better stock versions?

The second version, the Superadio II, is generally considered to be the best performing of the three (and built better than the third.) The RCA RP7887 is the same thing as a Superadio III, just with an RCA badge.

EBay usually has a steady supply of any particular model you're looking for; if you'd prefer to buy something new, the available-everywhere Eton S350DL is essentially the current equivalent of the Superadio line.

As a ham I think The $150 buget is the limiting factor. I think maybe ten times that amount would do a jam up job.
    So my suggetion is to throw money at the problem-lol

Flashaholic

Yes, I've used the SSB successfully many times to listen to Armed Forces Radio; if you use it on a non-SSB broadcast, you just get the quack effect regardless of where you set it.
    Either the fine tune pot must be very coarse (fast tuning) on your radio or the SSB filter doesn't have a good slope and cannot eliminate the AM carrier. Perhaps those are the limitations you must accept with a portable radio. At least you've got synchronous to work around it. I understand why you like it so much.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by filibuster View Post

I own every model of Superadio except two - the digital one and the new RCA branded model. All are excellent once aligned well. The older models seem to be less likely to need an alignment. The model III seems to be subject to a lot less quality control by the manufacturer and often needs a touch up to work well, but then works as well as the older models.

If I were to buy another right now, I'd look for a Superadio or Superadio II in nice but not excellent shape. It should cost about the same a new RCA model, but be easier to work on or fix should the need arise, and I think they are built a lot tougher too.

I'm always looking for a bargain Superadio, but I mostly buy the boomboxes instead of the standard models because they are rarer and have more features. For example, they all have signal meters even if they are only LED meters, and cassette recorders. And they are all about Superadio II vintage, so they are built like tanks.

For the record, my best performing Superadio is a model III. It's had a performance modification for greater selectivity and I got the tuning dial to track much better than stock. From what I understand, Thompson incorporated the selectivity fix (or at least as close as they were willing to go in a production radio) to their later manufactured Superadio IIIs, but the dials are still an issue.

Anyone have a digital Superadio they want to sell?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by boss429 View Post
    As a ham I think The $150 buget is the limiting factor. I think maybe ten times that amount would do a jam up job.
    So my suggetion is to throw money at the problem-lol
    Agreed! A 390A should fill the bill! I still don't understand why the surplus 390As were destroyed during the cold war. Hams should have been given the opportunity to purchase them instead. Wouldn't it be nice to listen to MW and SW AM broadcasts on a radio that's still considered the best HF receiver ever built?

For $150 I think the best buy is the DX-302. Triple conversion and selectable filters. You'll need an antenna, but a 12" or greater loop should work well. It doesn't quite have the features of a modern communications receiver, but for MW AM it's got all that you need, and there are lots of modifications out there for even better performance.

I am a necromancer!

hotlinked image deleted

I always had a dormant radio itch. Resulted in this one: https://www.amazon.com/Eton-Satellit.../dp/B0014T7W8Y. This model was discontinued for some time. Saw claims to revive production in the end of February and I decided to take advantage of a discount.

It is nearly a full equivalent of the Tecsun S2000 with minor differences. But I like the label Once upon a time Grundig was a well known German radio manufacturer.
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-20-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: hotlinked image deleted

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I always had a dormant radio itch. Resulted in this one: https://www.amazon.com/Eton-Satellit.../dp/B0014T7W8Y.
    A fun and very versatile radio that's a solid SW performer, but the thread subject is AM, and the Satellit doesn't fare well versus many current portables when using its built-in antenna (but it does beautifully with an external antenna, which it is specifically designed to accept.) Can't deny those looks though..

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I am a necromancer!

[IMG]https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/82-009-033-02.jpg[/IMG]
    You're also a hotlinker. Please do not hotlink images.

for portable the panasonic rf-2200 cleaned up and alignment touched up is unbeatable.
    home use the r-390a in my tests beats all.
    a bit of work to restore but once that is done i doubt you will find anything that comes remotely close.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12