What Flashlight Would Batman Choose?

socalfusions

Newly Enlightened
I'd assume that Batman would choose a small, durable and long lifetime LED. He'd probably favor multiple colors for stealthiness and forensics and strobe/sos for distractions.

Thoughts?

Noctis

Enlightened
I think batman would stick with his HID spotlight to display his bat signal all over the sky.

I also think batman would stick with infrared lights and nightvision gear so he doesn't alert every bad guy to his immediate location like Yao Ming standing among a crowd of midgets.

JulianP

Enlightened
First, there seems to be some confusion here. The authorities in Gotham city call Batman by projecting the bat outline on a cloud.

DropBox
Only a short-arc spotlight can achieve this. So, Maxabeam or Supernova are the likely ones. If they use roof-mounted spotlights, any customized models will do.

DropBox
As Batman likes to come out mainly at night, like...a bat, he would probably not carry a flashlight. Bats generally use sonar. Short of that, he would probably have a 18650 with a XRE-R2 LED and an aspheric lens to signal people trapped at the bottom of a well (by the Penguin), that a rescue is on the way.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he would choose a flashlight with an aspheric lens and an emitter in the shape of a bat.

pec50

Enlightened
The real "dark knight" who actually set the venue for the idea of Batman was Jimmy Dale the Gray Seal. Jimmy Dale was a playboy by day and a totally different figure, with mask, by night. And, of course, used the night as his ally. Frank Packard wrote these adventures in the early 1920s, so the Gray Seal carried a WWI era flashlight. Yet the Gray Seal was up-to-date with the technology -- flashlight, lock-pick kit, and a "powerful 100 HP" car. Always interested in preserving night vision and stealth, he would probably now use something like a small variable intensity light such as the photon or perhaps Proton having the addition of the red led as well as a photon-like UV led. Too bad the movie makers focus on Batman; the Gray Seal is a far more interesting, plausible and gritty character than Batman.

ypsifly

Enlightened
One of his Bat Suits has sonar capabilities. From Batman Forever:

"Batman: I see without seeing. To me, darkness is as clear as daylight. What am I?
The Riddler: Please! You're as blind as a bat!
Batman: Exactly."

In the Arkham Asylum game he has the ability to pretty much see in the dark by scanning a room and seeing enemies/friendlies and is able to tell if they are armed.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I'm not so sure that someone with a bat persona would use a flashlight... To quote David Letterman, from the days when he was actually funny,

"Them bats is smart! They use radar!"

[Of course it's actually sonar but it was funnier to say 'radar' because it's what a dumb guy would say].

Databyter

Enlightened
I think Batman prefers to use enhanced vision goggles/glasses to keep his hands free and provide more information such as thermal imaging etc.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS

Pick any of their offerings

For a production model I have to agree:thumbsup:.

More than likely it will be a custom build with:

1. ramping features from .02 lumens to 2500 Lm

2. Infrared equipped

3. Submersible to 200ft

4. Tail end eqipped w/ grappling hook distance of 80' ( cable made from nano fibers) weight capacity of 450lbs.

5. Powered by a mini PMG type concept ( permanent magnet generator )

Yavox

Enlightened
I think batman would benefit greatly from a strong flood light with a black filter. He could work in the middle of the day because after turning the black light on, everything would become black and the batman would not be visible anymore. He could use his sonar then to locate the opponents, who would otherwise be not visible under strong black light too.