does the malkoff md2 accept surefire dropins?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
or are they to big to fit, anyone tried with good results?

could it be done with a little filing of the dropin?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
or are they to big to fit, anyone tried with good results?

could it be done with a little filing of the dropin?

No the P60 type drop ins do not fit into the MD2. there is one exception to the rule that some one found but I don't remember what it is, its a custom. Malkoff made the MD series to fit his brass modules not the screw in boards behind reflectors with spring type assemblies that are so common.

curtispdx

Enlightened
Haha, I was wondering the same exact thing yesterday. I sure wish I could use his hi/low switch with an incan.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, I was wondering the same exact thing yesterday. I sure wish I could use his hi/low switch with an incan.

It would not work with an incan because of the radically different current draw and impedance differences between LEDs and filaments.

The resistor is 75 ohms of the hi/low ring. Put 75 ohms in series with a filament that might be 2 to 3 ohms resistance in the heated up on state and basically you got nothing. a 6V lamp that draws 1.5 amps is equivalent to 4 ohms when on. Put 75 ohms in series with that and you can't get it warm, so now its 1 to 2 ohms. All the voltage is dropped across the resistor and all the power also. You wouldn't even see the filaments glow. 6V/77 is 78mA. Plenty enough to run an LED at 15 lumens, not enough to make a 9 watt filament lamp glow to see anything at all.

What you would need if you wanted to try and get less than half power from the lamp is a 4 ohm resistor. 6V and roughly 8 ohms (this isn't exactly correct because filament impedance changes as it gets hot or cold but simply for sake of an example we will use round numbers) is 0.75 amps. 0.75A X 4 ohms for the resistor is 3 volts and roufhly 2.25 watts and also "roughly" the same volts and watts across the lamp that was previously 9 watts. So you reduced the power output of the lamp to approximately 1/4 but only the total power consumption in half. You are wasting 2.25 watts across the resistor. that's why the guys with the incans go to fancy power modulating FET drive circuits. To have a 2.25 watt wasted on the resistor it should really be a 4 or 5 watt sized resistor. Not what you want in your pocket size flashlight in the first place.

The simply solution is, just by the complete Malkoff MD2 package and be happy.