Surefire 6P No Light

NCHornet

Newly Enlightened
Just got a 6P from a friend and put new batteries in it, lined up the notches on the tail cap and housing and mashed the button but no light, tried crewing the tail cap all the way down and still no light. I looked on Youtube and saw a 6P review and their 6P they had there was a spring inside the tail cap that came in contact with the batteries, my tail cap is missing this spring. When I tighten the tail cap all the way down I can still hear the batteries rattle a little inside. I have emailed Surefire and asked for this spring but haven't heard from them. Is this spring something that can fall off pretty easy? This light is like new and was hardly used. Can I get this spring someplace else if Surefire won't send me another one? They want $42 for a new tail cap, but I believe all I need is this spring. This is the reg 6P not the LED version. I would sure appreciate any help.
Thanks
NCH

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
If you are not overseas, Surefire's service is pretty darn good. I cannot imagine they wouldn't spring for a new spring. (Pardon the pun). The trick though is to call them. Others have expressed that e-mail replies are slow in coming.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately you will need the little spring inside to get the light working. =
BTW if you are in the US CALL Surefire tech support and see if they can send you a another tailcap (usually they will send you a whole new one)

MrSneakyMan

Newly Enlightened
I would contact surefire asap. I had an issue with my first surefire last year, and they fixed the problem in no time flat. I live at the bottom of the world in New Zealand and they replaced the questionable parts regardless.

So I'll say to you what was told to me in this similar situation...give surefire a chance to put it right. You'll see that they stand behind their products more than any other company I've had anything to do with.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Call them, don't rely on their email.... if you are in the USA service will be prompt. If you are out of the country, it will be slower... if at all.

You can find Z41 tailcaps on the marketplace for around ~$20.

The spring is not the easiest thing to put back in. I had to wrestle with mine for 15 minutes before I finally got the thing back in place. Its a TIGHT fit and theres nothing to grasp onto when you push it in.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call them, don't rely on their email.... if you are in the USA service will be prompt. If you are out of the country, it will be slower... if at all.

Just to add my £0.02 as someone outside of the US who has used SureFire's customer service:

I e-mailed SureFire about a broken A2 TailCap, and got a response within 24 hours telling me that a replacement would be shipped to me. The next day, I snapped the clip of my A2L, and e-mailed customer service again, getting a response a few hours later the same day.

The two items were shipped separately, as the TailCap had been shipped by the time I e-mailed about the clip. I had the first package about 4 days after it had been shipped, and had both replacement parts within a week.

It's not all doom and gloom, even if you're e-mailing for support or are located outside of the US :)

NCHornet

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to everyone. I just called and they are sending me a new tail cap. This after they told me that them sending out a 6P without a spring is simply unheard of. I guess I was then suppose to bow down. I don't care when or how the spring became absent, I am just thankful for Surefire's great customer service. Thanks again for the help.

NCH

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs

Good news! I love it when a company (any company, not just flashlights) stands behind their products. Such companies are getting rarer and rarer as today's market full of acquisitions and corporate buyouts results in more confusion in terms of warranty claims and customer service.

Way to go Surefire! :)

NCHornet

Newly Enlightened
Locoboy I agree with you 100% I try and run my own business like this but it is rare that you find good customer service this day in age.

NCH

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
The day after I emailed Surefire about buying a new nitrolon bezel, a new one had been shipped. I even stated that it was my fault that the bezel was cracked. Sent no charge.

Just curious, did you ask your friend about it?

For about $20 you can convert your non-working tailcap into a clicky and have both. I prefer the twisty, but if I had an extra tailcap I'd convert it.

If you found a new M60, you are a pretty lucky guy. I don't have one, but I've got a couple Malkoff Mag drop-ins that I'm happy with.

MrSneakyMan

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear you got it sorted out. This is one of the reasons surefire has such a loyal fan base.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed about Surefire's loyal customer base. Their CS team are the reason some of us ended up getting into or sticking with this hobby.

Latest posts