Jetbeam Jet-2-Mk3: A short review, especially on operation

fortech Lab

Newly Enlightened
We got this light 2 years ago, and it was hardly used. Don't know why we forgot it for so long,
but it seems there is a reason.

This is a mini light with good output, in the official datasheet, it's said:

Length: 95mm ; Diameter: 32mm / 21mm.

MAX output: 210 Lumens (with 1 X CR123 )

We have seen many mini lights, most of them have a length between 80mm ~ 100mm. 95mm is not bad - it's not too small, not top big, just easy to carry.

_DSC8001.jpg

_DSC8002.jpg

With the pics above, you can see when the light is on, you can hold it without difficulty.

But it's not easy to turn the light on.

See these pics:

_DSC8003.jpg

_DSC8005.jpg

When I put my thumb on the tail switch, I felt quite uncomfortable. My palm was tensed, for holding the light, while my thumb should be bent as much as possible. Why not just got the light a bit higher? It's because of the ring around the rubber switch. The only way to press the switch effectively is to press with a bent thumb.

This is another way to press the switch:

_DSC8006.jpg

See how my thumb was bent, but in this case, I felt more comfortable, because the second knuckle of my thumb wasn't bent as in the first case.

But unfortunately, you can not operate Jet-2-Mk3 in this way, because there isn't a grip in right place. The light will escape from your hand. What a pity.

After all, Jet-2-Mk3 is a lesson:

When you try to design something, at least you should have a basic sense about comfortableness. Right?

We also measured the relative output (diffused with a poorman's integrating sphere).

Jetbeam Jet-2-Mk3 with 1*RCR123: 1400 lux
with 1*CR123: 950 lux
Fenix TA30 with 3*CR123: 1600 lux

(All on MAX level)

Supposed TA30 is really 225 Lumens, then the MAX output of Jet-2-Mk3 is 133 Lumens, or 197 Lumens with RCR123 batteries. Of course the runtime will be much shorter.