Gold Novatac Storm

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my newest Novatac. The Limited Edition Gold Novatac Storm.

15rl3yp.jpg

Pretty much an import EDC. The knurling isn't as aggressive as my EDC 85T and feels smoother. The cutout where it says Novatac and Storm has a sharpish edge when turning the light through your fingers like a lathe compared to the EDC. Not sure I actually like the flat tailswitch as I was expecting I would. It almost seems intented (concave) rather than completely flat.

35ltgn9.jpg

The 1st pic I took is without the bezel or the clip. The bezel on this was easy to remove (I still have been unable to get my EDC bezel off) and not sure how to remove the clip.

I'd like to do the two tone look like I did with my Quark AA2 and Quark Ti AA2, where the gold Novatac Storm would have the black middle section and black bezel, and my EDC 85T would have a gold mid section and gold bezel.

2r5djwi.jpg

First thing I did upon taking it out of the package was crack it and get it to program mode. Like my EDC 85T I have it set up super low for long run-time at .08 lumen / .33 lumen / .66 lumen / 2.7 lumen. Boom. Done.

1zztjjt.jpg

Now to send in the voucher to get a Classic 2xAA in Gun Metal Grey for $28!!!

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just need to figure out how to get the black bezel off my EDC 85 T to swap with the gold one from the Storm. Here's a picture so you get the idea. Now I have 2 lights setup identically as far as lumens and the UI and the Classic 2xAA will probably have the same exact lumen settings as well once that arrives. Perfect!

2vct56t.jpg

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Nice find. I also got the Black Storm from Ebay. That two tone thing is cool. Carry both one in each pocket. I read some threads on how to remove the bezel but was unsuccessful. I tried the mouse pad which I shred to pieces and tried the shoe sole which I got exhausted and it would not budge. How did you do it.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gold Storm was only on hand tight so the bezel came off easy. My black EDC 85T is on so tight it seems they used loctite on it. I tried several shoes and nothing works.

AILL

Newly Enlightened
The Gold Storm was only on hand tight so the bezel came off easy. My black EDC 85T is on so tight it seems they used loctite on it. I tried several shoes and nothing works.

I have 7 Novatacs, and on only one (#14488) the bezel was glued in. I used a caliper to turn it off and sacrificed the bezel (it still works, but has dings from the caliper). Lighthound had a new one for me. Everything on the threads was full with a blueish/greenish sort of glue, that I cleaned away.

Andreas

southernstar

Newly Enlightened

The older Novatac's used Loctite 262 (red), a high strength thread locker, and the newer Novatac's use Loctite 242 (blue), a medium strength thread locker. The 242 allows the pieces to be "service removable".

If you could get the bezel off with a pair of pliers or something similar I have some extra bezels I would be willing to send you. I have them in either black oxide steel or anodized aluminum if you want to keep the bezel-up pocket clip.

Let me know.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Simply remove the battery tube from the head and then use your mouse to remove the bezel.

If the bezel is still being stubborn use snap ring pliers to loosen the retaining ring securing the pill by one quarter turn or so. The bezel may only be finger tight at this point. Be sure to retighten the retaining ring one quarter turn or the same amount you loosened it.

I just need to figure out how to get the black bezel off my EDC 85 T to swap with the gold one from the Storm.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to no avail again. I used duct tape over the jaws of the Robo Grips and it still marred the bezel and nothing loosened. Even marred a spot on the body as well. Any other secrets?

Maksman, I don't see how loosening the pill will make the bezel any easier to unswer as it is threaded onto the body not the internals.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have vice grips but since they would clamp on one side of the bezel and then trying to twist the body while holding the bezel still will probably result in more marring or scraping.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
I didn't invent the method, but it usually works. The internals have pressure on them from both the bezel and the inner retaining ring. By loosening the retaining ring it relieves pressure on the pill, reflector and bezel.

If that absolutely won't work I would heat the bezel with a hairdrier and use the rubber coated handle of either channel locks or needle nose pliers in the crenelations of the bezel. Place the flashlight on a hard surface while applying downward pressure and turning the padded handles in the crenelations. Needless to say your other hand will be busy keeping the flashlight from turning.

[QUOTE
Maksman, I don't see how loosening the pill will make the bezel any easier to unswer as it is threaded onto the body not the internals.[/QUOTE]