McClicky tailcaps

signal 13

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the ruggedness & reliability of these Surefire tailcap ugrades? Would like to get some for my G2s but need to know I can count on 'em when it really matters!

(Yes, I did a search, but just found sales threads, no comments on how well they work)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I'll ask others to speak to the experience, but I can share a few statistics.

With 6 months of data (Nov 09), 400+ units are in the wild, with 3 reported failures. 1 was dead on on arrive, 1 was blown with a 10 amp load, and the last was somehow crushed during installation. We've not heard of any failures during use.

signal 13

Enlightened
Those are impressive numbers, I must say! You will definitely be getting a few orders from me in the very near future for some pre-assembled G2 TCs!

Thanks for the response!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was the problem with the original Surefire tailcaps? Were there many failures with those?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was the problem with the original Surefire tailcaps? Were there many failures with those?

Basically the McClicky Surefire tailcap upgrade kit is for those people who want a high quality forward clicky switch for their Surefire 6P, G2, C2, etc. flashlights that come with the Z41 twisty tailcap...which is of course super reliable (though I can't say if there have ever been any failures with them). It's mostly a preference thing. Some people like clicky switches and some people like twisty switches.

signal 13

Enlightened
I use the Z41 twisties (for reliability in high risk situations) on my two C2s that I carry on duty, but I just don't like the feel of the G2 twisties. I had a couple of Surefire HA clickies completely fall apart on duty. SF promptly replaced them, but I'll stick to twisties on my C2s for duty carry.

I carry a G2 w/ an M60 in each of my bags and keep one in my truck. I feel like I'm always just fumbling around trying to go between lockout/momentary/constant on w/ the G2 twisty. I want to be able to just turn it on right away if I really need it.

TriChrome

Enlightened
I like my three McClicky's, but they're extremely sensitive. The smallest amount of pressure (I'm talking about a fraction of a mm) turns them on; this could be bad if you're in a tactical situation and your light goes on by accident.

I like the stock Surefire twisty tailcaps because you can somewhat choose how much pressure is needed to turn them on (or at least how much travel of the button is needed before they turn on) which prevents accidental light discharges.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
What was the problem with the original Surefire tailcaps?
Most metal SF models come standard with a Z41 twisty+momentary. This setup is very reliable but not very convenient. Factory Z58/Z59 tailcaps are available, but at twice the price of the McClicky or NetKidz options when you already have a twisty. So rather than buy two caps, folks find it preferable to upgrade the tailcap they already have.

There are no Nitrolon clicky tailcaps made, its upgrade or get a metal tailcap.

I like my three McClicky's, but they're extremely sensitive.

There are now 2 pressure options, PM sent about upgrading yours:

presschart.jpg

bestcounsel

Enlightened
I had one and thought it was great. The only thing to mention is the button sticks out way more than the regular twisty. It did not bother me but it is something that is different to mention.

I just prefer twisty tailcaps....

737mech

Enlightened
I did not like how sensitive my McClicky switches were either so I came up with a simple fix that works for me. If you take the switch apart you can trim the little "nub" (for lack of a better word) on the underside of the switch boot a bit shorter with a razorblade. Just trim a little bit at a time until satisfied. I trimmed mine nearly all the way off. Works like a champ.

Reaper

Enlightened
Haven't tried it yet but the switches are supposed to be slightly adjustable for pressure and there's two type of boots - one hard and one soft. I have the hard one on the switch right now and I find it just about perfect in pressure for me so I haven't even tried the soft one yet.

Last edited:

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Pssst … grams are not a unit of force. :whistle:

LOL, huh? I guess there's also something wrong with measuring trigger pull in 'pounds'?

The chart does a nice job of illustrating the difference in the switches. Thanks for posting the chart!

-

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, huh? I guess there's also something wrong with measuring trigger pull in 'pounds'?

No that's correct because pounds are the Imperial ("standard") unit of measuring force. Trigger pull is a force.

Grams are the metric unit of measuring mass, not force.

The standard unit of mass is the slug.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
No that's correct because pounds are the Imperial ("standard") unit of measuring force. Trigger pull is a force.

Grams are the metric unit of measuring mass, not force.

The standard unit of mass is the slug.

The pound-force has a metric counterpart, less commonly used than the newton: the kilogram-force (kgf) (sometimes kilopond)......

So, I still think he's OK with grams. But no matter, the chart provides a good reference point that we can all understand.

-

JCD

Enlightened
The pound-force has a metric counterpart, less commonly used than the newton: the kilogram-force (kgf) (sometimes kilopond).

From your source:

"The kilogram-force has never been a part of the International System of Units (SI), which was introduced in 1960. The SI unit of force is the newton."

Last edited:

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
From your source:

"The kilogram-force has never been a part of the International System of Units (SI), which was introduced in 1960. The SI unit of force is the newton."

From the same source - "The newton is the unit of force derived in the SI system; it is equal to the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second per second."

Then why are they using metric terms here?

Next thing you'll be saying is that "Geeks" is not a proper term for 'force' either, lol! :D

-

JCD

Enlightened
From the same source - "The newton is the unit of force derived in the SI system; it is equal to the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second per second."

Then why are they using metric terms here?

???

They're giving the definition of the Newton, and the Newton is the metric (i.e., SI) unit for force. 1 N = 1 kg·m·s⁻². The kilogram-force has never been an SI unit. Even if it was, it is still a unit distinctly different from a kilogram. One measures force; the other measures mass. Force is not equal to Mass. Ever. The units will always be different.

Geez. I was just lightheartedly pointing out that the graph was labeled with incorrect units. If you want to discuss and learn about different units and why it's important to use correct units, start an appropriate thread in The Cafe.

Last edited: