What's so good about the Photon II?

zmoz

Enlightened
What\'s so good about the Photon II?

Found a place to get a cheap Photon II...but I'm wondering, what's so good about it that makes it normally $20? Why is it better than any other keychain light for half/quarter of the price?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: What\'s so good about the Photon II?

You can easily get them for $10 or so these days, sometimes even less. They cost more a couple years ago when they had no competition and when bright white LED's were relatively exotic. Aside from that, they're handy little lights. They're pretty well made, they're smaller than other CR2016/2032 powered lights, and they look good.

They're not fantastically reliable though. The switches get flaky, the constant-on switch is hard to operate because it's so tiny, and they use the LED lead as a spring which sometimes softens so the light turns on in your pocket and drains its batteries. Also, changing the batteries is a complicated procedure that needs a tiny Philips screwdriver.

Paying $20 for one is pretty crazy unless it's a specialty one like the UV. You're much better off with an Arc AAA unless you absolutely can't stand the Arc's size.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I gave my mother a Photon II. Why you ask? The II has a constent on feature unlike the I and is more user friendly than the III. I do agree with the dislike of the four tiny screws that the III does not have. I did not give her an Arc, as I would wish, because it can be difficult to operate with one hand (she is 75).

paulr

Flashaholic

Why does she care about one handed operation? The single most popular decent flashlight out there is probably the 2AA Minimag which is normally operated two handed. I just about always operate my Arc AAA two-handed. This is usually possible even if I'm holding something else in each hand. It's not a big deal.

The Inova Microlight looks like a good coin cell alternative to the Photon. I don't own one and can't report personal experience, but it has a much bigger constant-on switch and you don't need tools to change the batteries. Someone mentioned it turning on in their pocket, which isn't good, but the Photon also does that.

I gave my mom (she's about the same age as yours) an Arc LS and she found it way too hard to press the Kroll switch. So I gave her a Princeton Tec Blast (2AAA keychain light about as bright as a Minimag, with twist bezel) and she's very happy with it.

LED keychain lights are mostly just convenience lights. Constant-on is a nice feature but I find I can live without it. I have a bunch of cheap coin cell lights with no constant-on and they've been fine.

php_44

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
zmoz said:
Found a place to get a cheap Photon II...but I'm wondering, what's so good about it that makes it normally $20? Why is it better than any other keychain light for half/quarter of the price?

[/ QUOTE ]

These days I'd pay $10 for a real photon II. I own both a real Photon II (Cyan - for 3 yrs now), and a batch of $1 keychain lights I bought in bulk. Here's the difference - the photon II is made of a superior material that's harder and thus makes the light more reliable, and comes with an LED that has gold plated leads.

The bulk purchase lights are made of waxy nasty plastic that make switch operation worthless (momentary on works OK). Also the LEDs have their "factory" tin plated leads. These quickly corrode and make the light unreliable (it flickers, needs to be pressed hard, gets dim, etc) requiring disaasembly cleaning with an eraser and reassembly. These are good for give aways and making odd colored lights with using spare LEDs.

Despite going throug the washing machine (and dryer) a few times (oooops) - the photon II still works fine. I wouldn't pay $20 (I'm a cheapskate), but I'd pay $7-10. No affiliation or anything with "photon", just a satisfied user.....

rodfran

Enlightened

I have both a Photon II and an Arc AAA LE on my key chain. The Photon II is great for a quick look at the front door keyhole.The Arc AAA LE is nice if you drop something in the grass, or on the floorboard of your car, or perhaps reading a map. Something where you might need a little more run time. A flashlight for every purpose!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

it is small, bright, virtually unbreakable, fits on every keychain, easy to operate, cool-looking.

BUT it leaks, battery change is difficult, it doesn't last long on one set of batteries (the white one) and it is just a single 5mm.

as rodfran said, you have to know what you want to use it for. IMHO it is the ideal EDC for non-flashaholics due to it's form and brightness factor.

bernhard

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, girls love the Photon II. They think you're sweet for caring about their safety and blah blah. Blah!

BigMac

Enlightened

Personally, I prefer the Photon III over the II. I like the extra brightness levels, and but I usually just leave it on the brightest unless I am going someplace where I know I might disturb people with a too-bright light, like a movie theater. I find it alot easier touse that the photon II, with that little switch. However, even without all that, the battery change alone would convince me to prefer the III. Those tiny little screws are such a pain. Let me give you some advice if you decide to get a II: always change the batteries before you go A. anyplace dark, B. anyplace without a good flat surface, and C. anyplace where you might not have a good 10 minutes to fiddle with thte thing. If you manage to get it open and change the batteries, you will have completed the easy part. Now you have to somehow get it closed without dropping the switch, batteries, or LED.

As for the inova microlight, I gave mine to my girlfriend. It is great for looks, especially the transparent ones, but the beam drives me crazy. It is incredibly ringy.

I've heard that the princeton tec eclipse is a good light, but it seems a bit big to me. However, I have never had one, so I can't give a very good opinion on those.

To sum it up, I'd say go for a photon III.

rodmeister

Enlightened

A great little light. They practically invented the coin cell flashlight market niche, but the knockoffs have forced them to lower their prices. My Photon II sits on my keychain. The only drawback is their difficult method of changing batteries.

gyverpete

Enlightened

I've had a few Photon I, in red and yellow which cost about $15 in 1994/95. I liked its size and brightness but the momentary switch made it hard to use for extended periods, so when the II came out, I got one. The constant-on is a neccessity for me. I paid about $20 for my first Photon II (blue) at REI. And when the White came out I got that too. Sure, $20 is ALOT for a few small pieces of plastic, an LED, and 2 batteries, but there was no competition then. They were the first. And I like innovative gadgets.
I think Photon is probably the best of the keychain lights. The Photon II plastic body is very tough and the LED, at least on mine, is brighter and smoother than any other LED I've come across. Mine has never failed to light. It's not waterproof though, and if water gets in, the light will stay ON and glow dimly until dead, or until you open it and dry it out. No harm done then. Also, mine got stuck ON once when a small piece of the clear plastic switch broke inside. Took it apart, removed the piece, fine after that. Broke the same piece on my other Photon IIs as a precaution. It's like an appendix, unneccessary and it might break and kill your light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

If the Photon and one of it's competitors, such as Innova or Princeton Tec, were close in price, I'd go for the Photon. If the Photon is significantly more, I might go for the cheaper competitor. They're pretty good too. You can get any of these keychain lights for less than $10 now.

The cheap knock-offs are OK, but the LED quality is hit-or-miss. Otherwise they're not bad. Good for a tight budget or as giveaways. I got a batch of $1 countycomm ones. Some were Photon-bright/smooth, a few were uselessly dim, the rest were OK. For the price, they're a good value.

Useful battery life is shorter than advertised, esp. for the 2 cell ones, but expected for small coin cells. I'd be changing mine after 1-2 hours use. I then switched to the yellow II, and though alot dimmer than white, the battery lasted almost two years of mild everyday use.

IMO, NO ONE should ever be without at least a Photon or other keychain light. No excuses for not having a light. So small and now affordably priced.

I don't use my Photons since I got an ARC-AAA. It's far superior. The only advantage the Photon has is size, best for keychain use. But that is easily outweighed (pun) by the AAAs construction, cheap refills, useful batt. life, part-reg., and extreme waterproofness. I'm never without mine.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

All of the coin cell lights have their own individual characteristics. If I understand the main question in this thread, it has to do with the usability of a light for an older person. If that is right, then my recommendation is the Photon X light. It was recommended to me by William at Texas Tactical specifically for my 85 year old mother because it is the easiest to operate. It is slightly larger than the other Photons which is a plus for an older person. It has an "invisible" push off/on switch that is very easy to operate, but not prone to turning on when you don't want it to. It has a resistor in it, so it's not as bright initially, but will stay brighter much longer. It's not made out of the same indestructible material that the other Photons are, but it's very durable. I think they're $8-10 and if TT still has them, they should be about $6. I also gave one to my daughter, my girlfriend and her son who is a moderate flashaholic. I was surprised that he wanted one, but he really liked the switch.

Away from the older person use, my favorite would be the Innova Micro Light because of the ease of use and battery change. It's a little thinner than most others too. I find my PT Pulsar II to be the brightest. It's smaller than most of the others, very durable, but a pain to change batteries.

For (older) Mothers and Grandmothers, try the X light.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened

I purchased quite a few Photon III's, and a couple of X lights as gifts this past Christmas.

The Photon III's have a nice "gee whiz!" quality about them, with all the dimmer and flasher modes. I wasn't expecting much of the X lights, given the price, but they were bright and had nice beams that compared well with the Photon III's. The X light construction in not likely quite as durable though. The only complaints I've heard so far on any of these are:
1) The III's have had a tendency to turn on when carried in a pants pocket. Not good considering they use some pretty expensive batteries. Not much fun to change either.
2) One of the III's was defective. The constant/mode button never worked. (Yes, I removed the plastic shipping strip.)

More recently, I took advantage of brightguy's special on Streamlight Key-Mates. I've given four of them away. (Kept one for me too, of course!) Some replaced the Photon III's I'd given earlier. The aluminum design appears to be extremely durable. No complaints on any of the Key-Mates as yet. So far, I've heard back that they have been much less prone to "going off" in a pocket.

I still prefer my Arc AAA for my own keychain because of the battery and quality, but for a low cost keychain light, I'm really impressed with the Key-Mate.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got my green Photon III today and have hypnotized myself 5 or 6 times and eaten onions thinking they were apples. That green strobe is dazzling.

Great little light I learned about on CPF and the first of the type I have bought. I've ordered a couple of the Inova versions for my little boy to play with so he won't run down the batteries in mine. My Arc AAA is still in my left front pocket attached to a Victorinox SAK classic. It is by far the light I use the most. I have an Infinity Ultra also, but the Arc does everything it does and is smaller.

BC

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got my first ArcAAA the other day, it's nice enough uses commonly available batteries. Compared to my compared white Photon II, the Photon holds up well in my opinion. While the ArcAAA has a wider and more even beam, the Photon II is actually as bright and has a brighter hot spot in the beam center.

I prefer a smaller, lighter keychain than many people. Photon II is better in this regard. (Heavy keychains can wear out your car's ignition lock, causing it to need replacement)

All in all, I still really like my Photon II's. I only have one Photon III, I'm not convinced the Photon III is worth the extra money. I bought the Photon III only because it has the SOS strobe feature. I like the idea of an Yellow Photon III flashing out an SOS for dozens of hours if needed.

GregR

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I own 4 coin cell lights. One each of a: Inova Microlight b: unknown light from Academy with a carabiner sort of frame c: SL Keymate and d: 'Neoboard' mini surfboard light.

Also one an ARC AAA.

My Sister has the Microlight and is thrilled! The carabiner light is clipped to a Wenger SAK and stays in a door pocket in my truck. It has a slide for momentary, slide farther and click stay on switch. It has a pretty disperssed beam of a rather teal look without TOO many artifacts. Overall not bad. The Neoboard hangs near the couch. It has a push button momentary only switch. It has a tighter and defineatly ringy beam of more green look. The Keymate... I can't figure out what to do with it. It has a pretty smooth blueish beam with one white place in it. It operates very smoothly.

The ARC AAA is part of my EDC. Need I say anymore about it?

Easiest of all to operate is the Neoboard. The very best light is the ARC. The Inova isn't here so I can't comment.

The Keymate is perhaps nearly as tough and good as the ARC, but the ARC uses AAA batts, and so does my pager.

I have no Photon, and won't as long as ARC AAAs exist.

Your mileage may certainly vary.

Let's keep it light and nice around here eh?