Can I run two LED's off of one driver?

Erich_870

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to build a set of navigation lights for my kayak and use one driver (with strobe/SOS functions). Given the fact that red and green LEDs have different amperage, volt and resistance specs, is this possible?

Here are some specifics on the components I'm considering using:

3W LED Emitter on Star (Multicolored RGB)http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4530

Red: 2.5V ~ 3.0V, 350mA
Green: 3.2V ~ 3.8V, 350mA

Driver 3W/5W 20-Mode 3x7135 Regulated Circuit Board for Flashlights http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7879#open full view

I understand the basics for connecting one led to a battery with the proper resistor, but when you add two different LED's with a buck/boost driver, I'm lost. :duh2:

Thanks guys,

Erich

Erich_870

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone suggest online resources to learn what I need to know to build my project? :wave:

I'd really like to make sure I'm on the right track before I buy the parts and burn up two LED's or a driver. :(

Thanks!

Erich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just resistor them so they have the same relative Vf. The green operates in the same range as most white LED's so a 700mA 3.7V driver you'll need a 2.3ohm resistor in series with the red led, then parallel the green led with the red led resistor pair.

If you can find one a driver that puts out more than 7V at 350mA and just use the proper resistor to knock it down to ~6.7V and wire in series.

Erich_870

Newly Enlightened
First off, thanks for responding guys. I've been waiting for someone to come along! :wave:

Just resistor them so they have the same relative Vf. The green operates in the same range as most white LED's so a 700mA 3.7V driver you'll need a 2.3ohm resistor in series with the red led, then parallel the green led with the red led resistor pair.

If you can find one a driver that puts out more than 7V at 350mA and just use the proper resistor to knock it down to ~6.7V and wire in series.

I think I follow your suggestion, but what if I can't find a 700mA 3.7V driver? I'd really like to use a driver with the strobe/SOS feature and so far the only ones I can find put out 1000mA

I would use a Bucktoot and simply wire the LEDs in series. I've assumed your power source to be between 5V and 24V.

I'd use that in an instant, but it doesn't have a Strobe/SOS feature. :(

Keep it coming guys! :thumbsup:

Erich