Brighter than an M4: Flashlight Purchase Suggestions?

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey CPF,

So, I recently purchased a Surefire M4 that came with a MN61 and Lumens Factory HO-M4A bulbs. I love this light!! But, I was wondering if you could recommend a light that would be brighter and throw better than my current setup? (Not looking to replace the M4, just supplement)
I know that brighter and throwing farther are not always going to be found in the same light. So, if you have two light recommendations or whatever please feel free to share. Won't be looking to pick this up for a little while yet, so saving up is an option. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
Steve

Edit: Some addt'l preferences I just thought of. I'd like it to be able to take 123 primaries, but if not it won't be a deal breaker. I prefer incan or at least warm led to be an option.

Last edited:

mikevelarde

Enlightened
a (leef3x 18650 or a serial megalennium) + KT4 running a FiveMega Bi-pin MN socket with a 6V35W hikari bulb (1+$ each) and a AW soft start at the tailcap give you around 2,300 lumens of photon goodness on high ! and a very usable low and medium in between!:naughty:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
a (leef3x 18650 or a serial megalennium) + KT4 running a FiveMega Bi-pin MN socket with a 6V35W hikari bulb (1+$ each) and a AW soft start at the tailcap give you around 2,300 lumens of photon goodness on high ! and a very usable low and medium in between!:naughty:

Okay, so you lost me at serial megalennium. :laughing: I know Leef makes bodies and a KT4 is a head, but everything else is kind of huh...wha? :thinking: I know that I should understand what all that means but I don't yet. Care to shed some :candle: on what you recommended! :grin2:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so you lost me at serial megalennium. :laughing: I know Leef makes bodies and a KT4 is a head, but everything else is kind of huh...wha? :thinking: I know that I should understand what all that means but I don't yet. Care to shed some :candle: on what you recommended! :grin2:

Links added to make research easy.
he basically said, buy a new 3x18650 tube Like this one (fivemega makes one similar in size to the M6 - he calls it the Megalennium
be careful though there is a Parallel and Serial version (wired differently, one is 3.7v and one is 12ish volts)
3x26500 megalennium
will work too, but requires different batteries

3x 18650 batteries either AW 2600 or IMR

take the KT4 (Millennium Turbohead) off your M4, and run a bipin bulb in a special fivemega socket in it, with a tailcap running a AW softstart switch (version A or version B

hope this helps

of course you could just jump to a Hid light, like a Polarion

I have been running the Lumensfactory HO-M3 with 2x 17670 batteries in my M4 and have been very happy with it, it will happily keep up with my ultrastinger and magcharger in terms of throw, but has that nice big smooth hotspot that surefires are known for, instead of a ringy splotchy beam

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the informative explanation Echo! I'm guessing the Leef bodies are hard to come by. Only part I'm slightly confused about is the bulb type. But I see there are some recommendations around the forum. I'm definitely happy with the LF HO-M4A bulb in my M4. I was just wondering what the next jump up in brightness would be. :)

mikevelarde

Enlightened
Thanks for the informative explanation Echo! I'm guessing the Leef bodies are hard to come by. Only part I'm slightly confused about is the bulb type. But I see there are some recommendations around the forum. I'm definitely happy with the LF HO-M4A bulb in my M4. I was just wondering what the next jump up in brightness would be. :)

the hikari bulb that i mentioned was being discussed here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/253134

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Leef stopped making bodies a little while ago, you will probably struggle to find one of his tubes new, and it might take a while over on the marketplace too
Fivemega is still making tubes, but they come up in runs of 20 or so, so you have to keep your eye out.

you could also get a pair of A19 extenders, and have them and your M4 tube bored for 18650 cells, this would give you the equivalent of the Leef or 5mega tube. it will also allow you to run the lumensfactory M3T bulbs on 2x 18650 for guilt free lumens

Last edited: