Coleman 115 Max vs Coleman 110 Max

shipwreck

Enlightened
Coleman Max 110 Lumen light (Spot/Flood option):

My fav light is my LED Inova XO3 - it is super bright. But, I really didn't feel like dropping $50 on another flashlight - especially for one I'l likely only use for 2-3 minutes every night. So, I started looking at other less expensive possibilities...

Yesterday, I purchased a Coleman Max 110 Lumen AAA flashlight at Wal-Mart. What made this one interesting is that it has an option to go from spotlight to floodlight.

I needed a light for when I am outside locking up my dog in his kennel at night. The section of yard he is in is like a long dogrun - so while not extremely wide (14 feet wide), this part of the yard is long. I tried out this light last night, and it does exactly what I need it to do outside. This is MUCH better than the 3W AAA Brinkman LED I was using previously. In spotlight mode, it lit up the area that I needed to see. I want to be careful not to run into any snakes/spiders/scorpions at night - which is why I need a bright light.

I use the spotlight function outside. Inside, the flood option is pretty nice. You basically have no hotspot at all in flood mode. But, the edge of the light cone opens up a bit, and the light is consistent all the way thru. You have no single bright area, but the entire light cone is exactly the same. It is an interesting feature - but mainly one most useful in an indoor environment (like a single room).

Here is a pic of the new Coleman Max.
The claimed stats are:
110 Lumens
3 hours of battery life
125 meters
Water Resistant

I also like the pointed area around the reflector. It's sort of like some of the Surefire lights with the front edges.

(sorry, but the package got ripped when opening it)

light2.jpg

-------------

Coleman Max 115 Lumen light:

Today, I decided that I wanted to replace my old Xenon Brinkman two 123 battery light. It has served me well for years, and before all these new LED lights came out, its the typical kind of small tactical style light we all used to use. I even used to have this light mounted on a PS90 with scope rings a few years ago.

I bought the very last spot-to-flood Coleman Max on the shelves yesterday (and another Wal-Mart didn't have any). However, I saw another AAA Coleman Max model hanging on the peg. It was of similar size (I didn't want a tiny, tiny flashlight - I like a larger reflector). And, it advertised 115 lumens. I thought I'd give it a shot, and I picked it up this evening.

The stats are:
115 lumens
84 meter distance
6 hours of battery life.

This light works well. I bought it for indoor use, if things go bump in the night inside. It lights up a room well enough. The halo of light isn't quite as wide as my old Xenon Brinkman, but it's almost as wide. But, what is noticeable is that the edges of the light halo are brighter than the old xenon Brinkman. The xenon Brinkman has some dark areas in the halo. This LED Coleman's halo is consistent, like most LED lights.

max2.jpg

-------------

Comparison between the two:

Now, to compare the two Colemans with each other. The 110 Lumen light (spot/flood light) has a brighter hotspot. It's also a noticably brighter light, and it shines further outdoors - which is what I bought it for (the listed stats give it a longer range too).

Indoors, however, the 115 Coleman Max lights up a greater area of a room. The diffused light around the hot spot is brighter on the 115 lumen Coleman Max light than it is on the 110 lumen light. So, it's better for lighting up an entire room (instead of just a smaller area), but admittedly it doesn't shine as far of a distance as the 110 spot/flood Coleman. And, the hotspot itself is a little dimmer on the 115 lumen light..

At first when comparing the two, I was tempted to take back the newer 115 lumen light, as it didn't seem as bright as the 110 lumen (spot/flood) light I bought the day before. But, I took the time to do some indoor/outdoor comparisons of both lights before I finally made up my mind.

The newer 115 lumen Coleman light would not have satisfied me for my outdoor purpose, had I bought it first. But, I like that the tailcap switch on it allows for temporary activation w/o pressing the switch all the way to lock it on. That works great for my purpose of being an indoor "bump in the night" light. I like that feature, as it's been on all of my old xenon tactical lights (A streamlight Scorpion and two of the same Brinkman Xenon lights). I need not turn it permanently on - but just hit the button temporarily to quickly pulse the light as needed.

The 110 lumen spot/flood Coleman doesn't do that. One must click the switch cB]completely[/B] to make it work. So, for my indoor purpose, that doesn't work as well. But for my outdoor use, it doesn't matter. I'm just out locking up the dog with it.

So, each light works well for its intended purpose. Both were around the $25 mark at Wal-Mart.

I love my Inova XO3, and it's brighter than both, and shines further. But, it is $50. The Inova is my everyday carry light. But, I keep it in the closet at night. And, I wanted to replace two old lights with better ones - lights I use for special purposes. For the money, I am satisfied.

I was tempted to order a Fenix TK20 today online for my nightstand light, but it's $50 I didn't want to spend. And, if I did want to spend it, I may have just bought another Inova...

So, I took a chance on this. For the price, both lights are good. If not for the taillight issue, I think I'd rather have 2 of the 110 Lumen spot/flood lights. But, the difference in the tailcaps does matter depending on the intended use.

Note - I am using rechargable NiMH AA batteries in bith, which should give me better performance.

Last edited:

shipwreck

Enlightened
Damn, I'm becoming a Flash-a-holic.

I now have:

Inova Xo3
Brinkman Xenon
Coleman Max 115 Lumen model AAA
Coleman Max 110 Lumen model AAA
2 Inova XOs (each mounted on a rifle with scope rings)
3D LED Maglight
3D Regular Maglight
3W AAA LED Brinkman which I retired in the emergency box for now.
AA Mini Maglight for my son to play with

shipwreck

Enlightened
Well, I really liked the spot/flood model (I already returned the other one after I bought my Inova T2-Mp). But, I just ordered a 2nd Eagletac, so I took the other Coleman back to Wal-Mart as well.

I need the money to go towards my 2nd Eagletac purchase.

Buying lights is addictive - and once you have more knowledge, you want to keep upgrading.

I have a serious handgun habit, and its the same deal. I buy and sell all the time because I want something else :p

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam shot comparisons, if you get em, please.

8-15-2010 looking at them. Looks like the coleman 110 spot flood is $29 locally and the inova 143 lumen is $50.

Now, I can only guess about the emitter of the inova is a k2 ttfc, at I guess 70 lumen/watt, and coleman is a q5 at 105 lumen/watt. How far off am I?

Most led guys are willing to give up lumens for runtime, provided there is a substantial jump in efficiency. So, this matters. Especially if the inova runs near 5 watts (or is it that the emitter can handle 5 watts, while only putting out a mere 200 lumens?).

I am holding my breath for a good 150 lumen/watt bin led in something attainable. But no one is hinting when, or I haven't read deep enough lately.

jacketch

Newly Enlightened
I have several of the Coleman Max 115 lumen CR23 lights that I bought for a short term project. The light is a bit on the cool side and they eat batteries fairly quickly for the output but overall thay have worked pretty well.

If you have the Brinkmann Legend LX 2xCr123 Xenon light, you can pull the head off and fit a P60 style drop-in. For as little as $15 you can make it a decent LED torch.

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 Coleman Maxes and like them both. I have a 2 AA with a forward clicky that claims 110 lumens ( more like 60-70 in reality) that's a pretty good, floody work light for up close work, and a 2 CR2 that claims 115, and is as bright as my Nitecore EZ CR2 (130 lumens), but uses twice the battery power. I also have a Fenix TK20, 2 modes, 45/150 lumens, yes, I love it, yes, you should get one!:p

shipwreck

Enlightened
Beam shot comparisons, if you get em, please.

8-15-2010 looking at them. Looks like the coleman 110 spot flood is $29 locally and the inova 143 lumen is $50.

Now, I can only guess about the emitter of the inova is a k2 ttfc, at I guess 70 lumen/watt, and coleman is a q5 at 105 lumen/watt. How far off am I?

Most led guys are willing to give up lumens for runtime, provided there is a substantial jump in efficiency. So, this matters. Especially if the inova runs near 5 watts (or is it that the emitter can handle 5 watts, while only putting out a mere 200 lumens?).

I am holding my breath for a good 150 lumen/watt bin led in something attainable. But no one is hinting when, or I haven't read deep enough lately.

I only have the Spot/Flood light now. I returned the other Coleman Max to Wal-Mart and used the $ to pay for a Solarforce.

My camera doesn't take pictures in the dark to well unless I put it on a tripod, which I don't have. So, I can't really do shots of the lights in action.

Honestly, except for the fact that they use AAA batteries, and rechargable AAA batteries are so cheap and easy to obtain - I'd spend the $25 or so and buy a Solarforce LED from the Hong Kong vendor (the single mode Solarforce lights are $25 SHIPPED from Hong Kong). They are basically Surefire clones, and the quality is very nice. I have 3 from them now, and they are brighter than the Coleman lights.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Inova X03 that I don't really use if you want to buy it off of me. Just send me a PM if you're interested.