Is smaller better?

robk

Enlightened
After modding a dozen Brinkmann 2AA's and MiniMags, I started to mod a few Mag 2D and 3D. I found that smaller is not necessarily better! I was glueing the .550" dia. boards in the body, and it seemed it was a waste to have so much space. I took the ZLT+ design and blew it up to about 1.25" dia., allowing for much easier assembly and a lot more copper to sink the heat on the parts. This PCB is designed to be "stuck" on the back of an aluminum disc (like Elektrolumens) with foam tape or epoxy. There is so much room in a Mag, I figured I'd use it. Next revision will have pins to poke through the aluminum disc (with insulating sleeves) for connection to the emitter. Just my rambling...
Rob
big_zlt.jpg

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

it looks like a supermacroshot with supermicro components /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Entropy

Enlightened
Might as well REALLY use all that space and put in a larger switching transistor and larger inductor.

2-cell 5W mods ahoy!

My long-term plan (dunno when I'll get around to it) is to use an Atmel AVR uC as a switching controller, with the AVR powered by a small low-power stepup switcher of its own. (Since none of the AVRs with PWM and an onboard ADC can run in a 2-cell NiMH config, and barely run in a 2-cell alk config.)