10X Battery troubles. Update: My wife did it!!

richpalm

Banned
Hi all,

So I got my heart's desire-the latest Pyrex-lensed 10x! (snip)

Thought I had a bad battery-turns out my wife used it doing some work around the house when I was sleeping (I work nights) "because it lit up everything" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and ran it to discharge on 500 lumens! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Twice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif
She said something about 'how hot it got' and how she 'couldn't see anything at all' when she tried one of the retired M*gs first. "Oh, am I in trouble?" Yeah, if she'd had dropped it and blown a bulb. But now she knows a good light from a crappy one! That's a start. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And she knows the Dominator is my pride & joy!

Thanks all for the responses I got. I feel kinda bad that I unknowingly led you all on a wild goose chase.

She thinks it's funny as hell.

I think I'm gonna put that light out of reach!

Rich

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 10X Battery troubles

Could be a 'memory' problem. The energy in a NiCd is stored as chemical bonds, and the capacity of the battery is determined by how much is stored. However the capacity, and the internal resistance of the battery are not always well correlated. The memory effect is not actually a memory, nor does it actually change the capacity of the battery (although it certainly seems that way). The internal resistance of the battery is a function of the surface area of the reactants, hence sintered electrodes are very attractive, they pack huge surface areas into small packages. What the memory effect is, is the coalescence of the smaller crystals into larger crystals, effectively greatly reducing the surface area, so while the capacity remains intact, the internal resistance is much higher, and when you turn on a high demand application, the internal impedance prevents the battery from delivering rated current, so it appears to be discharged, even when it isn't.

The fix is to CAREFULLY discharge the battery slowly at rate on the order of c/20 (If it is a 2 amp hour battery, you want to discharge it at about 100ma). YOu also want to stop discharging the battery as soon as one cell is completely discharged. You can continue beyond that point, but reverse charging is what kills most NiCd's. Once the battery pack has been fully discharged, it can then be charged again, and the 'memory' will be gone. It is very important not to over discharge

richpalm

Banned

Very interesting explanation-but the battery is brand spanking new. That's the catch. It self-discharged just sitting there for a day with no activity. (I'm familiar with the memory effect from my two-way days, however, not explained to me as well as you put it.

Thanks,

Rich

Size15's

Flashaholic

I don't believe that anyone has ever complained about the 10X battery before. You've done the right thing sending it back as well as letting us know. Thanks

Al

richpalm

Banned

Hi al,

Was hoping you'd respond-I know you're SF knowledgeable! I will keep everyone posted-have you ever had the batteries self-d/c on you?

Thanks,

Rich

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think I've ever had a problem with my 10X. In fact, I'm starting to use it very sparingly now, save for times where I want to "show off" walking on a beaten path in the dark.

It's been holding charges for weeks on end, and I believe the longest mine has gone without a recharge was over 4 weeks, and it was still "like new" bright for 10+ minutes on the dual-bulbs when I turned it on...

So far, this is the first major problem I've heard of the 10X battery... May just be a quirk...

paulr

Flashaholic

That's not memory effect. It sounds like one of the cells has an internal short or almost short (metal whisker growing between the electrodes or something like that). Get it replaced.

Size15's

Flashaholic

My 10X also holds charge for weeks.

Most of the B90's I've had were dreadful. I've got a few gems though - in fact, one that is really old, one that is 8NX release old and one that is really new.

My UltraStinger and TigerLight hold charge, as do my B92 NiCads for 9NT and B65 for 7Z.

Keeping on topic, I believe that paulr could be right.

Al

Skyline

Enlightened

Definitely the right move to send it back to SF. My 10X hasn't been charged in over a month and it's still plenty charged.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a problem with my charger; it was only charging for about 2 - 5 minutes then going red like it was charged. The batteries would only last about a minute, have you watched the charger to see how long yours charges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

JT, your 10X charger goes to red when it's charged? Not green? Or maybe I misread... I do notice that my 10X charges up quite fast, going to "green" in short order. Even with the DC auto charge.

Rich, I've yet to have any problems with the B20 battery for my 10X... for a while, I was running down the power in that battery and lighting everything up like it was going out of style - and quite often, I've let it sit in my ride at work and it has faithfully lit up and stayed on for its duration without a problem. As others have pointed out, you clearly have a defective B20 that needs to be turned in. You won't be disappointed when you get your replacement battery.

Look at it this way... when you receive your B20 back from SF, you'll at least have a spare backup for use - always a good position to be in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim

FBA

Newly Enlightened

Hi richpalm.I've got my 10x few months back but it is the Lexan lens.In reply to your aftermarket battery,for my 10x I have dismantled the battery and housing and changed the battery to Varta 2700mah NimH.6 of them.I have never tried the run time yet.Sanyo also has this A type battery rated 2700mah.For your info , my original 10x battrey is Sanyo KR-1700 AU.It is rate at 1700mah.Any way hope you get your replacement soon.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 10x, an advanced modern light in terms of optics and design, is still using 10 year old NiCd battery technology (KR-1700 Sanyo Nicd's). That is just goofy, especially with the $500.00 retail pricetag.

--dan

FBA

Newly Enlightened

Beats me.Maybe SF have their reason for using a 1700 Nicd.Any way just for info,I do not use the T230 AC to DC adaptor provided by SF in their 10x package.This adaptor gives about 1 amp on my Fluke while charging my 10x.Instead I use a normal AC to DC adaptor with selectable voltage range with max current of 350ma.(at 12V selection)
That selection should give my 10x a good slow charge.
Of course you have to use the C900 together with the adaptor.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
JT, did you get it fixed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I called George S and told him I needed it right away as it was just before hunting season last year and I had it back in a week.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PieThatCorner said:
JT, your 10X charger goes to red when it's charged? Not green? Or maybe I misread... I do notice that my 10X charges up quite fast, going to "green" in short order. Even with the DC auto charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope I miswrote it turns red while charging and green when done. It would only stay red 2-5 minutes then turn green like it was charged. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dwminer

Enlightened

I had a problem with one of my 10X battery packs. One of allen screws came out. Be careful one of those terminals is hot and will ground out if you touch it to the outer ring.
I just wrapped a little black on the allen wrench except the very tip so that the sides of the allen wrench would not ground out.
Dave

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update!
Can we laugh and/or cry?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif