dorcy 2C 8 LED

bigthing

Newly Enlightened
i bought it from a sporting goods store here in vegas called the Sport Chalet. It was kinda pricey for $40, but it seems worth it and built like a tank.pretty darn bright too.it seems to be overdriving the 8 LED;s a little.

thanks,mike

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bigthing said:
i bought one of the new dorcy LED flashlights with the 8 led's and run by 2 C batteries. what a cool light. here is the url. web page

[/ QUOTE ]

check the revfiew on LEDMuseum....I arranged for Dorcy to send one of each model for testing....the sales manager of Dorcy, Mike Reilly, is the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. He said his goal is "to bring LED lights to the masses". I agree with your assessment....the light is built very well, and the LEDs are nice and bright.

Enjoy your light!!

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
One of my in-laws is an SVP at Sears headquarters and said that they will be carrying these late in August as they are currently at the distribution center in Chicago and will be available at most stores throughout the US by the last week in August. He didn't mention the going price as it has yet to be determined by upper management.

Just a heads-up.

Ed.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have one of these, as well as the three other Dorcy LED flashlights that Steve was kind enough to have sent for testing. I'm currently testing the 8-LED model by keeping it in my headboard at night, and using it whenever I need a flashlight. (yes, it's the only flashlight I use at night during testing)

I'm finding it to be pretty handy to keep around and use. It fits the hand nicely, and puts out plenty of white light to see around with. It might be a bit on the bright side if you turn it on after being in the dark for an hour or so, but I have a TV turned on almost all the time next to the head of my bed, so grabbing a flashlight that's "too bright" really isn't an issue. If it is too bright, aim it at the ceiling before turning it on, carry it around "candle style", and navigate the room(s) with the light reflected off the ceiling.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bigthing said:
i bought one of the new dorcy LED flashlights with the 8 led's and run by 2 C batteries. what a cool light. here is the url. web page

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks neat - I was afraid that C cell lights were becomming extinct. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dare I ask what type of switch it has?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Does M*g start lawsuits against everyone who uses push button switches? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There's some kind of booster circuit in all four Dorcy LED flashlights (the ones I'm reviewing anyway), including the 2-C 8-LED model.
But I don't know what the circuit(s) is (are) or how the LEDs are wired into it (them).

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, as always, Craig! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a SL ProPoly 7LED 4AA. How does the brightness and beam quality of the Dorcy 8LED 2C compare to that light?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You're very welcome, Scott. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They're VERY close in total light output (the bathroom ceiling test was used to compare the two). The Dorcy has a slightly warmer light than the Streamlight; the Streamlight PP 7-LED has a slight but noticeable bluish tint to its light.

The Dorcy measured brighter (107,000mcd vs. 87,000mcd) but the Streamlight looked just a {vulgar term for vagina}-hair brighter in the bathroom ceiling test I just did. These observations were not made with brand spanking new batteries though, you ought to know that.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a thought: remove the tailcap, shorten the main body to fit a single CR123A, rethread, then wrap the CR123A in a piece of rubber hose a la Mr. Bulk's SNII so it's the same width as a C cell. Muahahahahaha... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

The MiniDork? (hee hee) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It would certainly be a strange looking light, short and squat in shape, but would be kind of interesting. Someone has got to try this, then share the results, complete with some nice photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif As for me, I have neither the flashlight nor the tools to make this particular mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Does M*g start lawsuits against everyone who uses push button switches? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just anyone that engraves a light. Apparently, you can patent an engraving on the top of a tube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a great replacement to the ubiquitous 2C or 2D incandescent flashlights that every home has. Sure wish they'd have made it with switchable brightness levels. Always seems a waste when a multi-LED flashlight doesn't let you choose how many LEDs you want to light at any time.

steve_vance

Enlightened
Craig @ LED Museum has a recent review up; I have no doubt he'll be doing a runtime test soon.Also, I just sent Quickbeam and Brock one each of the 2C 8-LED lights; they both will be reviewing the light, and I'm sure runtime will be mentioned.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
steve_vance said:
Craig @ LED Museum has a recent review up; I have no doubt he'll be doing a runtime test soon.Also, I just sent Quickbeam and Brock one each of the 2C 8-LED lights; they both will be reviewing the light, and I'm sure runtime will be mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

davo123:
Thanks for the link. I'm glad these are finally available to the general public... but those PRICES pretty well negate any obvious advantage that these lights might present. I hope that Sears will do better.