Seeking drop-in for 10 yr old Streamlight Stinger

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I went to the DFW Flashapaloosa last night. I was telling a buddy about the crazy lights as I was driving home, now he wants to upgrade his 10 yr old Streamlight Stinger incandescent.

I told him he could have a brighter light with longer runtime. He also has a newer Stinger with the stock led. He keeps them on different belts (cop), and really likes the idea of upgrading the old unit.

So, he asked me to give him contact info for someone or someplace to get a drop-in for the older light. It would be nice if the drop-in was brighter and ran longer than his newer [led] version of the Stinger.

I don't know anything about the Stingers, but........I bet somebody here makes these for sale. Thank you in advance.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only seen a drop-in for the stinger (not poly stinger) at lighthound about 18 months ago. It didn't fit my poly stinger and I had another stinger that it didn't fit.

I did buy a stinger that someone had modded with an LED, pretty nice. But, in 18 months that's all I have seen on these boards.

Good luck!

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
That is interesting since they are such a common light. I know it's a rechargeable light & lots of law enforcement carry or used to carry them. Maybe they are difficult to build drop-ins for? I searched the forum before posting the question, there was a thread where a guy had a drop-in. However, it was a year old and I thought there might be something with a more modern led.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Teralux might make one.

It is not such an easy one to work with as the battery voltage is pretty low, and a high power LED takes a high power driver.

If its a P (polymer) model flashlight - any brand, and model - forget LED. You just cannot get the heat out.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a TerraLUX TLE-ST in my stinger I brought yesterday. It does double your run time and has a better output, but I don't recommend it for rough use. Take a look at This Article! TerraLUX does stand by their warranty no questions asked, but I'd wouldn't use it in the line of duty.

The new Stinger LED's are excellent duty lights, I've seen a few abused ones, and they still function as new.

The problem with the original stinger to upgrade, the reflector is very short, and sits directly above the plastic switch, so there is no room for a Aluminum heatsink. If someone makes a complete Aluminum switch assembly and retains the charging plate and diode, they could make a bunch of money as everyone with an original stinger would love to drive a SSC P7 with a 2 level AMC linear regulator.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened

Thanks, I passed this on.

I had a TerraLUX TLE-ST in my stinger I brought yesterday. It does double your run time and has a better output, but I don't recommend it for rough use. Take a look at This Article! TerraLUX does stand by their warranty no questions asked, but I'd wouldn't use it in the line of duty.

The new Stinger LED's are excellent duty lights, I've seen a few abused ones, and they still function as new.

The problem with the original stinger to upgrade, the reflector is very short, and sits directly above the plastic switch, so there is no room for a Aluminum heatsink. If someone makes a complete Aluminum switch assembly and retains the charging plate and diode, they could make a bunch of money as everyone with an original stinger would love to drive a SSC P7 with a 2 level AMC linear regulator.

I will pass this on too. Hey, it was nice to meet you last night.

Enlightened
I wouldn't say that is a fair test until it is done by an independent party not related to Terralux or Streamlight.
With that said, I do know a few officers with the TerraLux drop-in on their Stingers. I haven't heard of any problems to date.

FTR, I am not affiliated with Streamlight or TerraLux. I do own a newer Stinger LED with the "C4" LED. I'm a picky SOB and I do not like the hotspot at all. It's ugly as heck and is more of a thrower.

DM51

Flashaholic
Drop-ins do not qualify as custom items, so this does not belong in C&M B/S/T. I'm moving it to the LED Flashlights section.

Latest posts