Parallel holder for 3 x 26500 cells - High current

greencardigan

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

For my 3D SST-90 Maglite Mod I needed a parallel holder for 3 x 26500 cells capable of supplying 10A to a SST-90 LED.

I dont believe there's anything available off the shelf so I went ahead with a DIY version.

First I got some PVC tube the same diameter as the C cells and cut it lengthways. The cut is not quite down the centre so it springs around the cells and holds them in place.

Two slots were cut in the back for the battery connections to come through.

base_holder_1.JPG

base_holder_2.JPG

3x26500_in_holder.JPG

26500_in_holder_end.JPG

I made the battery contacts from some copper pipe brackets.
contacts_for_holder.JPG

Here's the contacts added to the holder. The copper is soldered onto disks of circuit board.
contacts_added_to_holder.JPG

The arrangement of the contacts on the back.
contact_layout_back.JPG

The completed holder.
holder_complete_3x26500.JPG

holder_complete_top.JPG

holder_complete_bottom.JPG

The holder and batteries fit nicely into D cell sized PVC tube.
holder_in_sleeve.JPG

And fits nicely into 3D maglite.
holder_in_sleeve_in_mag_beside_dcell.JPG

Thanks for looking. :twothumbs

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

mash.m

Enlightened
wow, one of the usable mod´s i ever seen. i will take this in the back of my mind cause i think i will use this in the near future.

thanks for sharing,

markus

Hill

Enlightened
Very nice custom work! If you can make more, I'm sure there would be many buyers here. I think a holder for 2 x 25500 in a cutdown 1.5D would be a great DD SST-50 or SST-90 solution.

greencardigan

Newly Enlightened
That is a real masterpiece. I'll bet if you shortened the outer, D-sized tube, you could probably squeeze your 3-cell holder into a Mag 2D, with the last cell sticking into the D tailcap.

Very, very nice!

I was originally going to put my driver stack below the switch. That's why I went with a 3D mag.

And if I change to a buck driver, I will try to squeeze 4 x 26500 in series into the 3D. Do you think that will fit?

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I was originally going to put my driver stack below the switch. That's why I went with a 3D mag.

And if I change to a buck driver, I will try to squeeze 4 x 26500 in series into the 3D. Do you think that will fit?

Yes, 4 50mm cells in series with nothing between them should fit in place of 3 60mm (D) cells and a tailspring.

If i remember correctly, the IMR26500s can provide upto 20A?

As such this custom holder is for increased capacity?

It increases capacity (AH), and because the cells are run in parallel, the current drawn is divided amongst the cells. Instead of 9A, each cell only has to deliver 3A of current load. If the contacts are beefy enough, the threoretical sustained max current is 3x what one cell alone can provide.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Looks like it will be a good solid performer, but can the large copper strips move with a shock/ bang?

It looks like they are soldered to the circuit board so look unlikley they will shift...I'd hate to think of them touching/ shorting!!!

I once shorted 8 Emoli in series with thin wires. I was using the wires to measure V bulb on a 250W hotwire ( the +ve V lamp bare wire made contact through the flashlight anodizing (the wires were bare as the heat from the lamp melted any insulated wires quick) The wire went V bright for a millisecond and then vaporised...:eek:oo:

If it was me I'd glue/ insulate/ tape or something the copper strips individually on the outside for peace of mind if it was dropped from a height or something.

Still looks good...Looking forward to what you power with it.

Last edited:

greencardigan

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the copper strips are soldered to the circuit boards and the whole setup is quite strong. But I might insulate and epoxy the strips to the PVC for insurance.

It's already being used in my sst90 mag build.

bstrickler

Enlightened
You could also put heatshrink on the copper, to help with drop resistance, too. It should also help protect against corrosion, as well.

~Brian