Newby/Dutch Police-officer in search for brightest ledlight, help?

allewijn

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I am an absolute newby, concerning ledlights, but found this beatifull forum, read a lot of reviews and hope you guys can help me:

I am an Dutch Police officer and at this moment I am using a Surefire E2E Executive Elite 'incandescent' light on duty (60 lumens??).
This light isn't 'bright' enough for me/have to use to many CR123a batteries/No 'strobe' function and only one 'brightness setting'

Unfortunately we need to buy our own lights.

So at this moment I'm in search for the best flashlight, costing me not more than max. 70,- euro's.

Read some good reviews about the EagleTac T20C2 Mark II, costs 69,- euro's in The Netherlands and has 300lumens, strobe, comes with a good holster (I need that), different output settings, etc.

I don't know a lot about 'lumens' but I do know I want the most lumens/light as possible (spending max 60 euro's).

Besides the EagleTac T20C2 I also see 'immitation' flashlights that I can buy over here, brandnames like 'Ultrafire'.
Found models with a "Seoul Semiconductors SSC P7-C High Powered LED emitter" saying it gives 900 lumens! Costs only 50 euro's.
Also other cheap models, like the 'UltraFire WF502B' 280lumens for only 30 euro's.

What about these flashlights?
Any good?
Or better to look for a 'well-known' brand (there is a good webshop in The Netherlands, selling models from Surefire, EagleTac, Fenix, Nitecore, Inova, Maglite, etc)

Thanks,

Tim

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those 900 lumen lights are actually more like 400 OTF (very important) lumens and suck power like a hippy with a joint.

Lumens doesn't always equal good light. Some manufacturers (cheap chinese ones) make spurious claims about their lights runtime and output.

Stick with the known and popular lights recommended by CPFers and you won't go wrong. Brands like Eagletac, Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, 4sevens, Surefire, I know I've missed some.

If you're using CR123's you have a HUGE range of lights to choose from. One particular good buy at the moment is the Nitecore SR3 from 4sevens, delivered for US$60. Runs on one CR123 or one RCR123 and has a max output of 220 lumens for an hour right down to just 5 lumens for about two days. It's tough as nails and throws like a beast.

There will be more recommendations coming from others. But for your money it's a great buy. It's also got a stupid proof UI.

Don't overlook some of the AA lights coming out now. Quark makes some real little rippers that can run on either a regular AA or a 14500 for MASSIVE output from such a little beast. I've got the AA2 Tactical and it's a great light. If I were a cop, I'd have one of these as my back up light.

You'll find them at http://www.4sevens.com/

iapyx

Enlightened
:welcome: my fellow Dutchman.

My advise it to save until you have twice the amount of money and buy yourself a Surefire LX2. It's small, has long runtimes, a focussed beam due to the TIR lens with enough sidespill and 200 SF lumen.
It may well save you money in the end.

succes
iapyx

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac T20C2 MKII is a fantastic light very bright and well made get one and get the OP (orange pill) textured reflector, it is better than the smooth reflector because the OP textured reflector smooths out the beam while the smooth reflector with the T20 has a dark spot in the center of the beam known as a donut hole.

You can also use the 18650 battery's in the T20 which should be a good idea if your going to use it daily/nightly on duty.

allewijn

Newly Enlightened
"Those 900 lumen lights are actually more like 400 OTF (very important) lumens and suck power like a hippy with a joint" haha I almost peed my pants 'Jash' said that :D

Thanks for all the quick and usefull answers!
So no cheap as chinese flashlight for me (still: 400 otf lumens is quite high! Is there a review of those lights?)

Some of you tell me it's better to spend some extra money, but the reason that I don't 'want' to spend more euro's is because I have the bad habit to lose my flashlights on duty sometimes (lost one while running fast, cathing a suspect, lost one in a fight, lost one due to the crappy holster, etc.)

So that's the reason I want to spend up to +/-70,- euro's (i'll get over that if I loose it again)
My employer buys the Duracell CR123a's for us, because in 2009 we all received a 3-Watt SONCA led flashlight (191LN): what a CRAP!!!
(after extensive testing the authorities decided that Surefires and similars would be to expensive :duh2:)

So I can use as much CR123A's as I want, so no special need for a 18650 with charger (still would be nice!).

The The Eagletac T20C2 MKII costs 69,95 euro's and the Nitecore SR3 costs 64,95 euro's.
Both have the options I need: Heavy Duty nylon holster, different output settings, strobe, defense ring.
EagleTac has 300 OTF lumens with a Cree XP-G R5 LED led Nitecore has220 OTF lumens with a Cree XR-E R2 LED!?
What is the real-life difference?

Within this price range, there is also the Fenix TK11. Also 70 euro's.
I can choose between two TK11 models: XR-E R2 and XP-G R5.
(same as difference between T20C2 and SR3, what's best?)
TK11 has no strobe function...

Jash: I will look at the Quarck penlite models for backup-use, but I also still have my old Surefire E2E executive as a backup incandescent.

jhc37013: How to tell if it's the 'orange pill' model, looking at the TC20C2? I want to buy it here: http://www.knivesandtools.com/nl/pt/-eagletac-t20c2.htm

Thanks again

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love how it doesn't matter on CPF that you state a specific budget and still people will come with suggestions twice the price. :crackup:
Anyways, allewijn :welcome:

If you are provided with CR123 then you have a LOT of options. But best stay away from the cheaper chinese knockoff brands like ultrafire etc. They still work as lights, but if you're going to use it as a duty light better chose one of the high quality makers like Fenix, Olight, Surefire, Nitecore, 4Sevens, Tiablo etc. Add that the lumens output from the ultrafire brands are HIGHLY unreliable. In tests, they usually aren't brighter than more renowned manufacturers who doesn't exaggerate their output claims.

If you wan to compare the actual brightness between lights(never rely on what the manufacturer says), there are a wealth of sources if you have the interest.

These two guys have reviewed most lights in the market and also standardized tests where you can compare the output. Just find the light you want to compare.
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html
http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
These two guys have measured the output in a bunch of lights in a IS. Just find your light you want to compare.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229135
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/260659
But remember that brightness isn't always the most important part, but beamshape can be more importantl(throw vs flood).

When it comes to the Eagletac be careful which model you buy. The mark 1 and 2 differs quite a lot. The old model will have better throw(the light beam will go further), but the new model will be brighter at short distance and the UI better. On the old model you will end up in strobe every second click, so you will end up there in accident quite a lot. Also, the new model is upgradable(BIG PLUS). Next time you want a brighter light or new LED, you just buy the drop-in instead of an entire new light.

You could also consider the Quark Turbo 123. Massive output, great throw, strobe that don't get in the way and 75USD shipped to the Netherlands.
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_330&products_id=1916

The same when it comes to the Fenix TK11 models. The XP-E led will throw a lot further(the light will reach longer and it will be better at penetrating windows etc) but the XP-G will be brighter on short-medium distances. The beam is floodier and brighter.

aspieman

Newly Enlightened
If you're not looking to spend much and want a good quality torch try the P7 Led Lensor.

It's very small, Well built and the new P7 throws out 200 lumens, Flood to spot and on low power you are looking at around 100 hours battery.

If you buy from here the P7 is only £37 where it's over £50 many other places http://www.tools4trade.com/d-2313022-LED-Lenser-8407-P7-Black-Torch---Gift-Box-.aspx

The police here in the UK use the smaller Led Lenser tactical which only throws out 60 lumens and with a battery life of only 50 hours http://www.tools4trade.com/shop_productdetail.aspx?pid=2313026

It's better to have the P7 on low power and if you need the extra boost then you have 200 lumens of blinding light at your disposol. :naughty:

allewijn

Newly Enlightened
'Lobo':

Thanks a lot for your post, really usefull!
I sent an email to the company where i probably want to buy my new flashlight and they told me that they deliver the 'mark II' EagleTac P20C2.

The Quarck Turbo 123 light hasn't got a 'defense ring', so still thinking about a P20C2 mkII or a TK-11.

Maybe another cheap option for me -> Are there good high lumen 'drop-ins' for my Surefire E2E flashlight?
Some colleagues have a Surefire G2 Nitrolon, which I still love because the Surefire V70-speed holster is so practical on our duty-belts!
Some of them have bought P60 drop-in modules up to 300 lumens (dealextreme, ebay, etc.) (300 'chinese' lumens???) but P60 won't fit my E2E

BigD64

Enlightened
KX2 or KX2C head for the E2E works wonders gives you 2 light levels and the KX2 advertised 60 lms is closer to 100 the KX2C is 200+ lumens. If your in a city I would get a light with more flood then throw. Surefire L4 or a Malkoff MD- with an M30F or an M60.

asfaltpiloot

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow dutchman.

I've heard and read that:

"De Fenix P3D-CE is na een zeer uitgebreide test van meer dan 30 compacte zaklampen verkozen tot standaarduitrusting van Politie Utrecht!"

Loose translation:
"The Fenix P3D has been chosen out of 30 flashlights by the Police of Utrecht"

and

"De PD30 wordt door politie, ambulance en brandweer regio's gebruikt "op de man""

Loose translation:
"The Fenix PD30 is being used by police, firefighters and paramedics."

Why change?

It uses the same batteries as your Surefire E2E.

A dutch website i like to use and have good experiences with:
http://www.knivesandtools.com/nl/

Hope it helps you a bit.

Robert.

(excuse the messy post, please don't kill me)

Last edited:

pounder

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely love my solarforce masterpiece for an on duty light..I have an solarforce L2 on my belt at all times and for the price this combo is amazing..the masterpiece turns night into day behind buildings, etc..you just can't hide from the light on high..there's no strobe function on the masterpiece if thats essential for you..but for the price it's a great light..

yalskey

Enlightened
Hi there... thank you for doing police work, you are a true hero everyday and I appreciate that, even if we are in different parts of the world.

I'm thinking you would like the EagleTac T20C2 II, but I also wanted you to know about this option. It's similar to what I carry everyday for mostly self-defense purposes.

http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4.htm

Scroll down to see this...

CL1H V4 3SM XP-G R5 (OP) ----- $72 [USA DOLLARS]

This has just about what you are looking for, however it is missing a nylon case. I have an extra nylon case that I will mail to you for free if you just handle the shipping. The nylon case is from a Olight M20 I owned once... it's never been used and it fits the above light well.

It's a fairly small but well built light. It's modular for upgrading too! You'll probably get near 300 lumens (5x what your current light does) or so. Plus, it can use primaries (which you get for free) and rechargeables. I find that the hot spot and spill are ideal for framing 2 or 3 guys as they get out of a car. You'll want to avoid the "super thrower" lights as most police work, suspect interaction, and encounters that have the potential for danger happen in less than 50 feet. It's got multiple levels too.

You can ask Alan from Dereelight to customize the pill for you so it has strobe as well... he did that for me on an MC-E pill. Speaking of which, you might want to ask him about the MC-E pill for the CL1H. It will give you about 550-600 lumens out-the-front. Keep in mind, as a rough guide, twice the lumens mean it will only appear like 50% more light... it's how the human eye works I guess.

Anywho, you'll probably be just as happy with the EagleTac... those are good lights that aren't so expensive that you can't replace it if it gets lost.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Solarforce L2 ... You can have a single mode or a three mode dropin or if you really need SOS and Strobe then there is the five mode dropin ... The normal Solarforce dropin is about 200 lumens on maximum and this gives about two and a half hours continuous use , but there are other dropins that are much higher output ... It uses a 18650 battery ... A complete torch (without battery) is only about £22 , so you could have three of them on your budget.

I also would suggest a ITP A2 (single AA) as a possible backup ... Though as the Solarforce L2 is cheap , just carry an extra one of those to give you another two and a half hours continuous use.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may also want to wait a short (hopefully) while and look at the 4Sevens Maelstrom G5. From all of the current info, it would suit your needs quite well.

ToNIX

Enlightened
Hi!

I'm also a police officer. I've been looking at light recently and finally ordered a Fenix TK11. I've been using it for more than one month and I totally love it. Super bright, good throw, usable spill (I wanted the R5 version). The simple 2 modes are a must. I rarely go on low, but when I have to, it's just the right amount of light.

I was also looking at the Jetbeam Jet-III M, but still waiting for the R5 version of it since the beam is narrower than the TK11. I'll probably get this one when it's released, along with a Malkoff MD2 with the M61 drop-in and high/low ring. I prefer the MD2 over the Solarforce L2 because of the forward clicky.

I carry the Quark AA Tactical clipped on my bulletproof vest on my right shoulder. I programmed it on medium and turbo (defaults to medium).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
jhc37013: How to tell if it's the 'orange pill' model, looking at the TC20C2? I want to buy it here: http://www.knivesandtools.com/nl/pt/-eagletac-t20c2.htm

All I could tell about the reflector with the light shown in your link is that it has a aluminum reflector, it seems it does not list if it is smooth or orange peel. I order from a US dealer and when a customer wants the OP reflectors on the Eagletac light's you just leave a comment in the comment box during checkout. I'm guessing it would cost more for you to order from US but if you really want this light and for sure want the OP reflector you could order from the site I will link below. You will notice near the bottom of the description of the MKII it says

" Special Note: This item comes with a smooth reflector (MAX throw) but we would be happy to change it to an OP/textured reflector (Smooth Beam) for you, just make a note in the comments box during your purchase."

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-3-6861

You may first want to try and contact all your more local dealers via phone or e-mail and ask if they have the OP reflector model. Good luck