Olight SR90 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight SR90 - Posted for consideration for the review forum

The SR90 by Olight is a flashlight so massive, both in power and size that it elicits a solitary, unified response from everyone who sees it. "What is its purpose?" is echoed in varying forms from every viewer. My answer is similarly repetitious.

Olight SR90

Meat and Potatoes

"It's designed and marketed for Search and Rescue" I always say, pointing out the prominent SR even in it's name badging. While I am certain that this light would not only prove capable, but likely excel at such tasks, I personally only have occasion to use this light as an enormous bucket-o-fun. I am the type of hardcore urban explorer to whom an excursion of search and rescue generally revolves around finding where my keys fell in the grass when I was outside taking a night hike or grilling in the back yard. However, whether you are looking for a wrecked rowboat on the Mississippi river or just lighting up the back 40 from your lawn chair, the Olight SR90 will simply astound you with the sheer volume of light it proves possible from a single LED.

To say that the SR90 is a big light, is severely understating the facts. It is, hands down the largest flashlight I have ever used that can still even pretend to call itself portable illumination. It absolutely dwarfs even the old 3 D-cell lights that are considered giants by today's standards. It even comes with its own shoulder strap, which I definitely recommend if you are planning on carrying it for any length of time. This light is very large and as a result, quite heavy.

All of that volume though is necessary to support both the enormous power drain and heat dissipation requirements of the new-kid-on-the-block Luminous Phlatlight SST-90 LED. This single die LED is probably the largest and most powerful single chip LED on the general market today. It's 3mm x 3mm size appears absolutely proportional to the huge reflector it is situated in. Perfectly centered in a beautifully crafted smooth reflector, the SR90 puts out a fantastically flawless beam that is very tightly focused and able to illuminate incredibly long distances.

Luminous Phlatlight SST-90

With its short lived "High" mode lasting such an abbreviated 80 minutes, Olight has graciously included a still bright, and only relatively named "Low" mode that still emits a searing 700 lumens compared to the mind-blowing 2,200 lumens on the top end. It indiscriminately outpaces every other light I had previously considered bright, illuminating with aplomb. The proprietary 6 cell rechargeable battery pack is able to feed the LED for an incredible 9 hours at the still impressive lower level.

Constructive Criticism

The fit and finish of the SR90 was absolutely exquisite in nearly all regards. Uniformly thick anodizing covered every corner without mar and every piece was obviously made to fit and fit well. The only portion of this light that presented itself as sub-par was the two shoulder strap attachment points. These were merely coarsely stamped out of sheet metal, apparently brass. I didn't feel the edges of these rings were tended to nearly well enough to comply with the superior standards set by the remainder of the light. A minor flaw, to be sure, but better would be appreciated.

The best part of this torch in my opinion is the fact that it has absolutely no aspirations to be anything other than what it is. Because of this, I can find very little to critique. Sure, it could be smaller, but that would sacrifice power, longevity and tight beam focus. It could be lighter, at the expense of heat dissipation and durability. This light is what it is and is unapologetic about it. If you don't like it, there is probably another light out there for you.

Olight SR90

Conclusions

Once again, I dole out high marks for being unpretentious. This gargantuan behemoth however has exceptional quality to boot. If you genuinely need to see absolutely everything, and size is of no concern, then the SR90 is definitely a worthy contender. If your desire is for "illumination overkill" then your quest has met its finale.

Olight SR90

Spiffy Carrying Case

Included Contents

Olight SR90

Olight SR90

Olight SR90

Luminous Phlatlight SST-90

Olight SR90

Battery Guage

Provided for the duration of the review by 4Sevens.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
Great review!!! I love my SR90, it goes to wotk with me every day but really us more just a toy!!! My first impression of this light when I first opened it was WOW....the reflector is bigger than the mirror in my bathroom!!!! This light is the most solid light I own. I love my M30 but wasn't overly impressed with the feel. The SR90 is a beast!! Great review on a great light!!!!!!!

utlgoa

Enlightened
The Olight Intimidator is the Best of the best of the best.......

If "THOR" carried a Flashlight instead of a Hammer......it would be named "Intimidator"

Last edited:

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review... thank you muchly.

Unfortunately, this "little" baby costs $490-11 in Australia!

I'd rather prefer not to take out a second mortgage on my house to finance it... although my financial adviser wouldn't allow it were I game enough to ask LOL.

— Jack. :D

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I made a deal with the missus, I give up chocolate and I can buy the SR90. It's been one week without a drop of the stuff past my lips. The first five days were hard but now I actually feel good about it and I'm sure I'll lose a few kilo in the process.

No need to save either. My chocolate money will pay for it within a few months. Yes, a few months. I love chocolate, but I love torches more.

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Yes, I am not surprised that some of you are able to use it on a more professional level than myself. I have had an incredible amount of fun not using it professionally however. This thing is absolutely crazy bright!

uknewbie

Banned
Excellent review... thank you muchly.

I'd rather prefer not to take out a second mortgage on my house to finance it... although my financial adviser wouldn't allow it were I game enough to ask LOL.

And here in the United Kingdom it costs £315! ($523 Aus)

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/olight/olight-sr90-intimidator.html

Although for what you get this still represents good value IMO. Just tempted to wait and see what else comes out with an SST-90 first though before buying this.

Still, tempting...

P.S - Thanks for the review. Nice pictures. Would like to see more beamshots of this light. Not too many around when you consider the outstanding specs. This is pretty much PH40 territory, for a *cough* lot less money.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
saabluster is correct, the PH40 is $2200, over 5 times as much.
Not even close. However the PH40 may have a little more output.
Dave
I was referring to the performance side of things as that seems to be what he was thinking was close to be being on par. You would have to buy several SR-90s to equal the output and throw of one PH40. Then you would have to have them all mounted on wheels to be able to move them considering the weight.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster,

According to what you are saying either the 4200 stated lumens of PH40 is a strong understatement or/and the stated 2200lumens of SR90 is strongly exaggerated?

Regards, Patric

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, this video can help you in this question, is a PH50 not a PH40....but in my opinion there is no comparision because are 2200 lumens vs 5000 (in PH50) or 4000 (PH40)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pwS4-5ikXk&feature=related

By the way, one SR90 is coming from 4sevens to Spain, i want to see this baby near to me soooooooooon....:grin2:

And great review of course!!:twothumbs

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link Daylight,

Actually when I see the comparisons (watched part 4 also) it seems that Polarion is superior when it comes to hotspot, but Olight has better spill. The true difference between the total output I find to be quite hard to estimate, however.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
nice review:wave:
If this ever makes it off the drawing board.....:popcorn:

SR6000
The SR6000 will use a Single Luminus CSM-360W with approximately 6000 Lumen output. This primary duty light will use a pair of rechargeable 'M' LiFePO4 38120P (M size) battery at a total of 6.4 volts and 20 amps capacity. Total Length is 14.75 inches, head diameter between 3.5 and 4 inches with a 1.75 inch diameter battery compartment. More specifications to follow.