Quark Anodization Problem

Southpawtact

Newly Enlightened
I received my 4 Sevens Quark 123 Tactical on April 15th. I am very pleased with the light. I was wondering about the finish, though. It seems to be showing signs of wear relatively quickly.

I could be wrong, the only thing I have to compare it to is my Surefire E2DL. I received the E2DL in October of 2009. It shows the amount of wear I would expect when EDCing it using the pocket clip.

I have carried the Quark the same way (pocket clip). Now, I know there will be more wear on the clip because that part is exposed. I just think that the anodization is flaking off the head too easily or too much after less than a month.

What are your opinions?

img1516p.jpg

img1519q.jpg

img1521ph.jpg

img1527pd.jpg

Clip Comparison
Surfire clip shows minor scratches, but still keeps its finish.
Quark clip clearly shows flaking anodization.

Is this a major problem or just the norm with Quarks?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experiences with both reflect yours the Surefire finish is very tough and without starting a Surefire battle I will say the Quark does fairly well for less then half the price.

Of the lights I own the brands with the most durable finish from my experiences is Surefire then followed by Jetbeam and Zebralight. I carry Jetbeams as often as I do Surefire and the Jets hold up just about the same. I toss around Zebralight headlamps and now their hand held lights like pocket change and I have never got a serious scratch on any of them.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Is this a major problem or just the norm with Quarks?
It's the norm. In fact, it's the norm with quite a few other brands as well. So don't feel bad. Some would say it gives your light some "characters".
I agree with jhc37013, ZebraLight has one of the better anodizing done. :thumbsup:

don.gwapo

Enlightened
There's no problem there. Even my days old mini have sign of wear and tear already and i'm fine with that coz everything do wear and tear as time pass.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks are relatively cheap - don't worry about scratching them up. Use them and abuse them. Wear them out and then buy another one - great product for the $$$'s.

James.....:thumbsup:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Quark clips are painted so that's of course gonna flake/scratch off the surefire clip is black oxide so it's not gonna show much wear it'll just get slightly lighter/shinier over time.
Surefires anodize is the best in the business and they have slightly chamfered edges so the anodize grows better on the edges where as on most light with sharp angles anodize will flake/chip since anodize grows thinner on edges. Also black type 3 hard anodize isn't as durable as natural greenish/grey since the dye involved weakens the anodize. As much as I love 4sevens lights the anodize is no better than other comparablely priced lights.

carrot

Flashaholic
Surefire is pretty much #1 for anodizing.

Not to knock 4sevens or anything (I EDC one myself) but Chinese manufacturing still hasn't quite mastered anodizing the way we have in America.

Yes, the clips are painted. Most clips are. Surefire coats theirs with black oxide (very durable) however they are one of the few that do. Spyderco and Benchmade, for instance, also paint their clips.

jcw122

Enlightened
My Quark that I've had since last summer is in similar condition. I don't mind scratching and wearing the stuff I use, because I use it! I don't care for people who collect things never to be used. I look at wear with pride that I'm getting good use out for my money!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights with a bit of scuffing look better in my opinion. I have an EX10 that looks VERY used (well, it is very used) despite only having it for a few months, but it looks so much better than it did when new.

Plus, once you have a few scuff marks on your light you don't feel the need to cry when you give it it's first bug scratch/dent from dropping it. It just adds to it's character.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So long as my QMiNi AA keeps putting a pretty beam out of one end, I could really care less how it looks. :D