First-Born Male Child...

SCampbell

Newly Enlightened
Some of you seem to think the A2 is going to cost this. The figure $250 was mentioned...

Are you serious? I mean, it will be the latest, greatest, cat's meow, etc., etc.; but good grief!

This post is not an attempt at humor or levity; I'm genuinely curious, and ask forumites here who have a better handle on these things than I do.

Laser Products certainly has the right to recoup their R&D investment, but I somehow don't think a $250 flashlight, regardless of the features or quality, is going to fly very far...

Still, the concept intrigues me. I'm already making budget-adjustment plans, in case I decide to get one once you beta-testers have given it a thumbs-up...
grin.gif

Steve

Tombeis

Enlightened
The K-1, K-2 prices seem to be reasonable for what you get. Roughly $40 to $65 street price.

Three leds plus an MN03 lamp and regulated two cell flashlight body with hopefully a click tail cap?

My guest is in the ballpark of $125.00 to $150.00 list price.

It should sell well at that price.

MicroE

Enlightened
Let's start a pool.
I'm guessing $109.99 on the SF website.
I love the idea of the A2 and plan to buy a couple, but if they want more than a 25% premium over the cost of the E2e it's not for me.
If they push over $110 I bet they won't sell more than 1,000 units in the first year.
Arc has been pushing the LS technology (a substantial technological improvement and high cost item) and is still using 4 digit serial numbers (less than 10,000 units sold, I assume).
The A2 is just an E2 with three $1 Nichias and some driving circuitry and a dominator0style switch. Remember, they're not setting their price for CPF, real people have to buy these things (by the thousands) for SF to recoup their R & D costs.
The switch can't cost much more than their standard LOTC.
I doubt that they needed to spend capital dollars to build this light, they already own all of the machinery required to build their other lights.
---Marc

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd guess between $150-$200...SF is still selling the 6P and other older lights for premium prices, even though the R&D costs have been paid for many times over.

--dan

nihraguk

Enlightened
uhoh.....i think i'm the one guilty of that $250 price tag speculation in another thread. it was just a wild guess!
smile.gif

i was taking into account the cost of the leds, the extra machining involved due to the complicated (as described in that thread) switching mechanism and the digital regulation.

considering that surefire sells the D2 at a $10 premium over the 6P when the only difference is the pocket clip, i am guessing a $50-$100 premium for the A2 over the M2 might not be too far off, but then again i don't represent surefire, and i'm just another CPF idiot
grin.gif

SCampbell

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys; I feel a little better now...
wink.gif

The more I think about this concept, the more interested I get...

Steve