Burning DVD Movies

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the software to burn Hollywood release DVD movies on my home PC. This is great stuff! Anyone else have this setup?!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
DVD X Copy from 321 Studios. If you've never seen it, check it out. Works great, as does their DVD Copy Express software. Of course, you need the DVD burner to go with it. But just one DVD burner/drive will do the trick.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaser,

Does this burn all DVDs? Do have any problems with copyright protection or things like that?

Where did you get it from and how much was it?

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
[Lurk mode off]

I use something like it make copys my DVDs for when I travel.

go herefor more info on everything dvd related

[Lurk mode on]

aso

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
Is this the software that inserts the disclaimer that "This is a copy" to the beginning of the image?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is.

If you don't want to spend any money , you should try Dvd Shrink . This is an awesome program. The price is right also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I use a 800k program by the name of DVD Backup. Free. Removed region coding and rips DVD to my HD. I don't know if I could then re-burn, I don't have a DVD burner--but it's nice to have my favorites on my computer so I don't have to lug the disc around.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this awhile back but I use the $50 version of DVD X copy to load my DVDs on to my laptop so I can travel with less junk.

The software is not for the beginner user. First you "rip" the tracks off the disk and next you convert them into avi files. I then copy these over the network to my laptop and use windows media player to watch them full screen. Finally, I got a Y adapter for the headphone port so Merri and I can both watch the movie on the plane. The headphones have seperate volume controls.

A typical DVD can be shrunk down to about 2 gigs. This saves me from having to lug around a DVD drive, disks, disk caddy, extra batteries, etc. I usally take 3-4 movies on a trip.

I also use the VirtualCD software to take along games, etc that require a CD to be loaded. This keeps me from having to carry all the CD junk. The laptop is quite thin because it has no removable media drives. Battery life and reliability is also increased.

Inspite of what Hollywood wishes, I do not like removable media. Networks and hardisks are more convienent.

Support innovation: Pay for everything you use.

Peter

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
I posted this awhile back but I use the $50 version of DVD X copy to load my DVDs on to my laptop so I can travel with less junk.

The software is not for the beginner user. First you "rip" the tracks off the disk and next you convert them into avi files. I then copy these over the network to my laptop and use windows media player to watch them full screen. Finally, I got a Y adapter for the headphone port so Merri and I can both watch the movie on the plane. The headphones have seperate volume controls.

A typical DVD can be shrunk down to about 2 gigs. This saves me from having to lug around a DVD drive, disks, disk caddy, extra batteries, etc. I usally take 3-4 movies on a trip.

I also use the VirtualCD software to take along games, etc that require a CD to be loaded. This keeps me from having to carry all the CD junk. The laptop is quite thin because it has no removable media drives. Battery life and reliability is also increased.

Inspite of what Hollywood wishes, I do not like removable media. Networks and hardisks are more convienent.

Support innovation: Pay for everything you use.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like DVD X Copy is a DVD ripper and a DivX encoder in one. You can find free programs out there that does the same thing. But, you'll need some knowledge of A/V codecs and compression.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
DVD X Copy is a DVD ripper and DivX encoder, yes. The attractive part is you don't have to know anything about A/V codecs, compression, or anything else, for that matter. It is extremely simple to operate (which I need!). You can copy an exact duplicate of the original which takes 2 discs or copy the whole movie on one DVD without the extra features, extra language soundtracks, etc. Just the movie and it's soundtrack (all I really care about; the other stuff is fluff - nice, but not worth spending $15 on). So -
Burn away! You can dupe any movie in around 30 minutes or less! The operation is only a couple of clicks, that's it.

Peter - I can appreciate your sentiment of supporting innovation; I do (I buy everything you make!). If I thought that buying every DVD commercially would get me better movies or actors instead of richer studios and actors, I would. I know this is a simplistic view, but there ya go. I am one of those people that think top actors and atheletes should be paid quite well for doing something the rest of us cannot. I also think that their salaries have become ludicrous; studios/sport franchises don't take the extra high salaries on the chin, they pass that on to us in the form of higher ticket prices!

I didn't mean for this post to be preachy; just wanted to tell my brother and sister CPF'ers about it. Don't hate me 'cause I like movies! If it helps anyone, I wouldn't think of selling them, etc. They're just for my family.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
DVD X Copy is great for "backing" up DVDs. Just wish I could find a crack for the program to get rid of the warning it inserts in each copied disk.

Dr. Divx is great for ripping DVDs into divx avi files probably similar to what Peter mentions. You can pick the compression rate and fit an entire DVD into one cd if you so desire although the quality is better if you make it so it fits into two cdrs or so. That's still a 4 to 1 rate of compression. The only thing is if the DVD is copyright protected, you need a program to bypass the copyright protection and rip it to your hard drive first. CladDVD is a good program to do this. DVD X Copy works whether DVD is copyright protected or not. I'm surprised the motion picture industry hasn't shut down the program yet similar to the way the RIAA is trying to do to the peer to peer music sharing groups like Kazaa.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
321 Studios, which makes DVD X Copy, is currently under legal siege from Hollywood. 321 contends that if it ok to make your own backup of everything else, why not dvds?

geepondy, the warning it puts at the front of the film stating this is an archival copy not for sale, etc, doesn't interfere with the disc in any way and only lasts a few seconds. Why is it such an annoyance? And did anyone mention to you that you have "Massachusettes" spelled with an extra "e"? (not trying to be a wise guy, just pointing out a typo)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
And did anyone mention to you that you have "Massachusettes" spelled with an extra "e"? (not trying to be a wise guy, just pointing out a typo)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they didn't and you are right! Thanks for mentioning that after being a member for so long and not realizing that. In my defense, despite now living half of my life in Massachusetts, I still consider myself to be a transplanted Vermonter where I grew up.

Stefan

Enlightened
If your not wanting to do compression to the video (ie. straight backup of video to hard drive) get SmartRipper.
If some of your videos have encoding (most will, prevents copying...) this'll decode the videos.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way I figure, the software is 99 bucks. Sounds like alot, right? Well, if you team it up with Netflix service, it is very cool. Blank DVD's are around $1.50 or so; therefore even a complete, non-compressed total duplicate is $3. As you can see, this will pay for itself quite shortly. Why get 7 DVD's for $100 when you can have 30+?

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
I just dounloaded DVD Shrink (see aso's link above) and it indeed is an awesome program. I've ripped four movies in one evening and it's fast if you only rip the main movie and use zero compression. The main movie on each of the titles was under the 4.5 Gb limit of the DVD+R media. I've also ripped one of the titles in it's entirety including menus with compression, and it plays just like the original in my stand alone DVD player. Awesome! To burn, I sumply use NERO. This is a winning combo in my opinion, and you cannot beat the price. NERO came with my DVD burner, and DVD Shrink is free.
P.S. And I don't have/need any knowledge of A/V codecs thus this program is pretty intuitive to use.
Ed.