Another "what police duty light thread" with a twist.

UNM1136

Newly Enlightened
Good morning.

I just spent a tough two days on this forum. I am a police officer in the largest metropolitan area in my state. I have primary jurisdiction in an area that contains buildings, open fields, city streets, etc, and I do a good bit of police work. I have been on 3rd shift (2300-0700) for the last 8 years. For the last 20 years I have had some sort of Surefire with me at all times while working. I drink the kool-aide, but that is OK. My faithful 8AX gave out on me this week. The battery died, and I found out that one of my co-workers broke my charger (damage hard to see, that's what I get for leaving it in the briefing room). The last time my charger was broken it was easy to fix, not so this time. So I have a dead 8 year old B90, and I start doing my homework. A new charger, and battery, would be about $95. Then I find out the spec on the bulb, and take mine out and find that it is the older one, not the current one. While doing so, bulb gets dropped and now I need a $40 bulb. Not a good day out.

Despite its shortcomings my 8AX has been great. 110 lumens for 50 min/charge was adequate, but not great. Like many of my brothers I have been on hour long multi mile canine tracks for bad guys, but I always tucked my backup light in my pocket before we started, and even then, very rarely ran out of juice on my AX. I am not in search and rescue; I use my light tactically, and teach its tactical use. Frequently the 50 minute use will get me through a week. I prefer not to use light for normal, day to day tasks, if there is ANY ambient light out. The bulb, cited here as being rated for 40-50 hours of use has been replaced once in 8 years. It began to appear, that even using Flea Bay, it would cost nearly as much to get my light running as to buy a new one. I got a good light.

So I began to investigate. There was little to nothing that could be done to customize/upgrade what I had. So I had to start from scratch. I came here and looked at all the "what should I buy" threads and realized most of the advice is given by well meaning folks who may not be up on what I consider a good work light. So I sat down and looked at what I needed, in order of importance.

• Reliable. I am a Surefire fan for a reason, and I realize that anything else will be a gamble. But, as we see below, Surefire met my needs about as well as most other contenders, that is to say barely acceptable at best, poorly at worst.
  • Rechargeable (department does not provide CR123s for the X300s it issues, and I want to buy a suppressor for my AR15, probably an overpriced Surefire, and cost is an issue. I have a wife that is a full time college student and three kids).
  • LED. I have broken bulbs. I know how much they cost. I have run incandescent lights and found fragile bulbs (one M3 I was issued not only broke the bulb but disassembled itself from the recoil of an AR15.) I like incandescent lights, but have only seen them get more expensive, not less, and I hope this light will last me 5-10 years.
  • 100 lumens. I was willing to go as low as 80 (to include the Surefire LED) and as high as 130-150(to include the Light For Live and Pelican). Too low, and I can't see what I need to see. Too high and I can't see what I need to see. I do a lot of building searches, and white walls will dazzle you, let alone a mirror. After a field comparison I decided a X200A was more useful to me than an X300, despite having almost 2/3 less lumens. I also "accidentally" flash the eyes of drivers on every traffic stop. A 150 Lumen + light may cause some issues with that. In 12 years of this tactic I have not had a complaint. Too bright a flashlight might just bring that to an end and create another policy named after me, restricting the use of that particular light. While this will be a secondary light it needs to be able to fulfill the role of my primary light, a department owned Streamlight SL20.
  • No Defensive Bezel. I have hit people with my 8AX, and been investigated and cleared for it. For on-duty use I found that the standard bezel is good enough, and I don't want a light designed to hit someone and cause damage. I can cause a lot of damage with a standard light, a clip board, or a pen. This is a huge issue, and kept me away from the Fenix lights. I have no problem with the defensive bezels on off duty lights, other than possibly tearing up clothes.
  • Size. I found the 8AX to be a perfect fit in my hand, and in the pouch that I was using that was not designed for it. A similar sized light would be appreciated, as I don't plan on changing how I carry everything to support a new light. A little larger or a little smaller would be fine. Again a 6 volt Surefire was the smallest I was willing to go and the Pelican was pushing it at the larger end.

I would appreciate a long run time, but based on my 8AX experience, it was not vital. Was ambivalent about light levels, and strobe ability, as I have been happy with the light my 8AX put out

I would have preferred American made, leaving to my knowledge Surefire and Eagle. Surefire's offerings in rechargeable LED were thin without mods, and expensive. Eagle's medium setting was not powerful enough and its high setting was too powerful. I actually thought that a G2 or G3 LED with rechargeables was how I was going to go. Malkoff's conversion products would have been ideal, but this was time sensitive, and in addition to being expensive and having many parts out of stock, his website gave me a headache with what parts were necessary, and how you had to go over to this other section to order a necessary part to make the whole thing work. I am planning on getting one of his LED conversions for the 6P on my AR15, but that will likely be a phone call. Plus one of his conversions requires possession of several Surefire parts, and I am missing many of them. Heck, I believe even Surefire is using Chinese LEDs.

SureFire missed out on this round, because while reliability was number one, the other features did not appear to be there without custom work. Surefire is not on the cutting edge of the latest and greatest, but they cost more…Why is that?

Here is the example I use. I own my own patrol rifle, and people give me crap all the time because I spent $300 to make sure I had a dancing horse on the side of the gun. The department AR15s were bought at less than $800 each on the state contract, so they are the better buy right? In order to get and maintain government contracts (when they had the M4 contract) Colt needed a rigorous Quality Control and Assurance program. I am a certified armorer on the AR15 platform. Colt has 348 separate gauging stations on the assembly line, and each part and each gun are checked. Someone has to do the checking, and they have to be paid. My Colt 6920 is NOT Mil-Spec by definition, but I can tell you which parts are not, and how they can be brought to spec. Does that mean that I have a perfect gun, or that you cannot get a bad Colt? Of course not. But the department rifles, by another major manufacturer, do not go through that level of QC/QA. My rifle in the last 3 years has had about 6K rounds through it without a single problem. Two of the eight department guns in the field right now did not make it through the first 1K rounds without needing armorer level repairs. Another three had functional problems detected and corrected on an annual inspection before they had troubles on the range or on the street. Does that mean the other manufacturer only turns out crap? Nope, but with a lower level of QC/QA going on, your chance of getting crap is a bit higher. Five out of eight guns have needed repairs. That is better than 50% of my limited sample. I imagine that Surefire operates the same way. The QC/QA that helps ensure reliability costs money, and the confidence to give a lifetime warranty is the result.

I am very sad to say that I did not choose Surefire. Had this been a planned purchase I would have, and I can say that I would have a light that I would be very satisfied with. I picked the light that would allow me to have it in my hands days after the order, and required the least amount of compromise. Had I more time to shop I may have found something even closer to what I was looking for, but as I said, this was time sensitive. I have 5 lights in the car when I go to work, all but one Surefire, and NONE of them met the criteria I set forth to replace my AX with.

The winner was the Olight M20 Warrior Premium. With AW18650 batteries and charger, I came in under budget. I am willing to accept that it may not be the light I need, and make a planned purchase later of a customized SF light built to my specs. Based on only two days of research, this light makes the fewest compromises from my requirements. Not entirely happy with it on paper for a number of reasons, but willing to take the chance to see.

Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two. I chose fast and cheap this time.

Sorry for so many electrons and time wasted on this post, but I actually wanted you all to know how helpful you were from you previous posts.

Thanks again,

pat

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I have nothing to offer, but I really enjoyed reading your post.

Thanks for sharing...................Frank

uknewbie

Banned
Sounds like a good choice. Although I think you would have been happy with several 1 x 18650 choices from Fenix or Jetbeam and others based on what you have said.

So do you have the Olight yet or just ordered it or what? Friend of mine just got an M21 and it seems a very good light to me.

HIDblue

Enlightened

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loved reading the post, Pat, and Welcome to CPF! The next time you don't need to do "cheap and fast", try a Surefire C3 with Malkoff M60W. You can run it on almost and endless combination of batteries (rechargeable AND primaries). Do a search and see how often C3's and Malkoff's come up together for recommendation. Again, nice read and welcome!

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Echos on the 'good post' comments. I'm plainclothes and also get 123s provided, so I carry a SF E2DL plus an E1BL. Rechargable is tricky, always a compromise. But I note your incan bulb concern and raise it, in spades.

As an armorer, and if it's not too far off topic, do you have any comments on the M&P 15/22, Colt vs S&W versions? I'm looking for cheap recreational target practice, with of course applications back to work.

UNM1136

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a good choice. Although I think you would have been happy with several 1 x 18650 choices from Fenix or Jetbeam and others based on what you have said.

So do you have the Olight yet or just ordered it or what? Friend of mine just got an M21 and it seems a very good light to me.

Jetbeam was a close contender. Fenix was out because near as I can tell the strike bezels are non-removeable.

Actually, I made a couple of phone calls and found out that the Olight Super Duper Navy Seal (sorry, I hate "special operations marketing") was due to be released this month and someone had a sample that they could send me in the next couple of days...

This is the light I ended up with.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-specops-m20-r5.html

Even by cutting the lumen levels 25-30% for emitter vs OTF it is still more than I had.

Is Olight made in the USA?

I was going to suggest maybe the Brite-Strike "tactical blue-dot 18650", but I guess you've already made a choice.

http://www.brite-strike.com/BlueDot.html#BDRC_HLS

Hope it works out for you. There seem to be plenty of happy Olight owners out there.

No, their HQ numbers are in China, and it pains me, but it seems that most people buying LEDs right now are sending money to china. Even if they are not in china their marketing/manual developers do not speak primarily English, based on the poor manual and several typos.

that Tactical Blue-Dot 18650 looks fantastic. USA made, meets all my requirements except the crenelated bezels, and were I on SWAT or a Dog Handler, with all that on-call pay that would have shot to the top of the list. When I go to detectives sometime in 5 or so years, I think I will get one as a congratulations gift to spend my on call pay.

If you haven't already purchased the Olight M20, you might want to check out the Olight M21 Warrior SST-50 and the Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra:

T and E sample is on the way due to arrive this week, and my ordered one will be here when they are released.

Loved reading the post, Pat, and Welcome to CPF! The next time you don't need to do "cheap and fast", try a Surefire C3 with Malkoff M60W. You can run it on almost and endless combination of batteries (rechargeable AND primaries).

It is on the list...but the website showed "out of stock" for the bulb. I really want one for the 6P I have on my AR.

I will have these lights and am going on a couple of weeks vacation in June. I will likely send them to one of the guys that can test actual out the front lumens, since this light is not released to the public yet with the XP-G R5 LED from Olight. I am just curious what the real numbers will be.

Another selling point of this light was the mode switching. If I read correctly the memory function will ensure that I can set it to Medium, and leave it there. When the light is on, pushing a semi-recessed button will cycle it to high (high is more important than low), then strobe and then lwo. When the light is off pushing the semi-recessed button gives you strobe. It makes so much more sense than the M20. If I run into a situation where my Taser might be appropriate (belligerent, drunken subject, making threats, but not actively violent) I want to try the strobe. I am not convinced that it would be the right thing against an actively violent person, so the usefulness of the strobe, if at all, would be very limited, and likely the first thing I would trade or change on this light.

Given the cost, I will not cry if I can only use it for the summer/fall, and have to get the known quality next winter. Having said that, I really hope this light is a home run.

pat

jaundice

Enlightened
I can't disagree with your choice. You've made an informed decision, and your choice is so much better than what you're used to, it'll blow you away when you get it.

FWIW, I'm a Surefire guy, but almost everyone of my Surefires has been modified. I think of Surefires as a small block chevy. They work great out of the box, but the real advantage is that you can lego them into an awesome configuration. It's like pulling out that small block chevy and dropping in a 454 in order to drag race. The added advantage is that as technology advances, you can upgrade easily.

In your shoes, I would have gone with a Malkoff MD2 with an M61. The word around here is that although the M61 modules sell out within hours, the whole flashlights with M61s take a little while to sell out. In use, however, the practical difference between the MD2 and your Olight is minimal. I think the quality on the MD2 will be better, but it's probably like a 1 in ten thousand failure rate vs. 2 in ten thousand.

-John

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
AW's 18650's are THE way to go- I have a red AW IMR 1860 in my avatar- if your current choice should happen to crap out on you- try Peak LED Solutions- made in Cave Creek AZ. Their CONUS distributor is RMSK Inc.- run by Bob in KY- retired LEO. They make top shelf stuff- no strike bezels to worry about- very resiliant lights.
HA or SS....several possible batt. configs.:twothumbs

UNM1136

Newly Enlightened
As an armorer, and if it's not too far off topic, do you have any comments on the M&P 15/22, Colt vs S&W versions? I'm looking for cheap recreational target practice, with of course applications back to work.

Any conversion with a dedicated upper receiver should work just fine, so both Colt and S&W should be great, as they are whole guns. Surprisingly, they are both in the same price range as well. Get what is available, and enjoy it. The Ciener Conversions (just a bolt carrier group and magazine) are attractive at the price, but bore of your rifle is a different size, and so you loose accuracy. You will also get shavings in the gas port, and that is not an easily cleaned area.

Just got an email notification that my Olight M20S Warrior has shipped. It may actually beat the T&E Light here.

Thank you Battery Junction!

pat

Hfili

Newly Enlightened
I was in the exact same situation with finding a replacement for the wonderful 8AX. I had a turbohead on mine and loved it with either head.

I ultimately decided on purchasing the fenix TK30 to replace it. I have loved it so far and plan on purchasing some 18650's and a charger soon. I have just rotated to day shift so I won't start using the light heavily again for about five months. Everyone comments on the amazing brightness and wonderful beam quality when I use it.:grin2:

My department is gracious enough to provide surefire 123 cells as well as an issued streamlight SL20 and surefire 9P so I already had those formats to utilize when needed. A G2 and little handy black and decker angle swivel light round out my nightly load of lights. I sometimes get a hard time from the fellas but they all know when their light goes dead, I always have a backup to loan them.

I do feel a tinge of guilt about letting my good old 8AX just sit in a drawer with a blown standard bulb, a blown turbohead bulb as well as four (might as well be dead) B90's. Maybe someday I will fix the old girl up or someone will produce a great LED drop in for it with different power options.:thinking: Perhaps such things exist now and I am just unaware of them...anyone know?

sfca

Enlightened
This is the light I ended up with.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-specops-m20-r5.html

Even by cutting the lumen levels 25-30% for emitter vs OTF it is still more than I had.

Nice pick
icon14.gif
. Given the time you've spent here you definitely made a good choice.
Jetbeam would not have been brighter but because of the LED, lux (blinding effect) is greater then the flood-ier XP-G Olight.

No, their HQ numbers are in China, and it pains me, but it seems that most people buying LEDs right now are sending money to china. Even if they are not in china their marketing/manual developers do not speak primarily English, based on the poor manual and several typos.

I loooove Surefire but a quality purchase is a quality purchase no matter where it's made.
Besides, there are plenty of American companies that make quality products with less-then-savory business practices. At least you didn't buy a copy/clone Surefire light eh?

that Tactical Blue-Dot 18650 looks fantastic. USA made, meets all my requirements except the crenelated bezels, and were I on SWAT or a Dog Handler, with all that on-call pay that would have shot to the top of the list. When I go to detectives sometime in 5 or so years, I think I will get one as a congratulations gift to spend my on call pay.

I was curious about Brite Strike early on. I wouldn't buy them now. Much, much better to get a Surefire C2 and a quality drop-in.
Btw, they are not 100% USA made.

If I run into a situation where my Taser might be appropriate (belligerent, drunken subject, making threats, but not actively violent) I want to try the strobe. I am not convinced that it would be the right thing against an actively violent person, so the usefulness of the strobe, if at all, would be very limited, and likely the first thing I would trade or change on this light.

I find popping the strobe on them suddenly without warning (i.e. not having light turned on) is best; you also have to aim the hotspot at their eyes, spill doesn't work well.
However, when it is pitch-black dark the strobe will not only blind them but myself as well. :laughing: Where there is ambient light is a good time.
icon6.gif

Given the cost, I will not cry if I can only use it for the summer/fall, and have to get the known quality next winter. Having said that, I really hope this light is a home run.

What was the total cost?
You may consider a 4sevens Maelstrom (unreleased) and Eagletac T20C2 (upgradeable modules) the next time around.

pat

Last but not least, :welcome:

ama230

Enlightened
It sounds like you want a leave it alone flashlight and i do not blame you. I have had people break my stuff due to the fact that it was too complicated or just fancy. I like a basic ui that is fool proof just like surefire as well.

I would like to suggest the light for life pc3.300 that is 200lumens and uses three cree's and has a polycarbonate casing that floats. Its small and has a quick recharge and you can drop it and nothing will happen. Then if the situation comes you can beat somebody but it will not leave any marks.:sssh:

Then you mentioned price as it is 141 shipped with a free ac and dc charger. This will be the last light you will need as you will not have to take it apart for atleast 10-20 years after the leds give out, which is a long time. The place that has this cheap price is botach tactical and use the coupon code stimulus. This is the cheapest deal on this product. Maintainance and worry free for life and not to mention rugged!!! I love it but price is an issue here so this is purely a suggestion.