the POWER of the McModule W3V

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
McModulized PM6 vs BB400 Q3L/NX-05:

2aa-bb400-q3_vs_mcmodule-w3_t.jpg

(link to full-size image)

Just for fun, the same shot with the BB400 in a 1xAA Mini-Mini-Mag with NX-05 (you can see it if you squint):

1aa-bb400-q3_vs_mcmodule-w3_t.jpg

(link to full-size image)

The CCD is a bit overloaded by the huge, blazing hotspot. You can see from the second shot that almost all of the spill light is coming from the McModule. It is putting out a MASSIVE number of photons.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Brad-alike,

Thanks for the nice comparison beamshot pics.

Although I was considering quitting this "line of work" (assembling McModules), a couple of "smelly" guys have encouraged me to reconsider, and in fact one of them (who needs a microscope to build his products if you know what I mean) may have another fifty of them coming to me in a few weeks. And I already have enough emitters. So the next people on The List, the V2T list, may be notified shortly. Please tune up your Paypal accounts (or sign up if you don't already have one)...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Cool! I might AS the threads of the spare one I might receive to see if it makes any major difference in keeping the LS cool/making the body more warmer...

rookie

Enlightened
Awesome! More McModules on the way. Here's hoping that I'm on the next list of 50 or so......

mst3k

Enlightened
I finally got to use mine on a path through a very dark park last nite. My W3V I mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I gotta tell ya, the throw and brightness of this light is amazing. Its hard to believe its an LED.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Hey Brad-alike,

Thanks for the nice comparison beamshot pics...

[/ QUOTE ]

I for one think it's appaling that a member of CPF would actually stoop so low as to use a picture of a famous actor in his profile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hi rookie,

Actually there are already about 55-60 people on the "remaining" list. I had people e-mail me directly to place their names initially and had over a hundred at one time. When the first forty of these McModules were made I contacted the first forty people on the List and sold them in that order. If you e-mail me now you can get on this List, and as long as a handful of people drop off when we begin contacting listees for Paypal prepayment (that always happens, BTW) you may move up high enough to get yours.

I don't mean to make this sound snobbish or anything, but the reality is there are only a limited number of parts and quality Luxeons to go around, especially one that involves purpose-built machined parts such as this McModule. So, it is up to you, please e-mail me if you are interested.

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
Received my McModule today. I wonder how much can I get if I sell my L4?

Thanks from my heart. Another great mod.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Bulk,

Is there a date after which if I don't hear anything from you I'll know I wasn't in the list of the next 50 people? I put myself on your list when the first 40 McModules were being built but I knew I wasn't part of the first 40. I don't expect you to go look where I am on your list now, but if I don't get one of the next 50 then I would like to know so I can buy a 5W light from another source.

Thanks,
Alan

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Al, there will always be "dropouts", no matter how highly regarded the mod, when the time comes to put one's Paypal where one's keypad is. I know you are among the first 54, that I know for sure without even having to look. Thus when the time comes for prepayments, I am confident you will move up in the "standings". Heck, in all likelihood you will be among the first 50.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
desmondpun said:
L4 is on the left, see what I mean now.

fb8616d5.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
brakelamp.gif
boldred.gif
1blue1.gif
claps.gif

Um... I mean yes. WOW. As white as my L4 looks I can only imagine the whiteness of the McModule.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
If Charlie had told me that my new McM V2T was an "Ultra Premium" LED I would easily have believed him. Frankly, I was slightly worried that the V2T wouldn't quite measure up, despite Charlie's oft-proven credibilitry.

I need not have worried, it is a superb light and I am as happy as a Flashaholic can be. Now I'm more curious than ever to see the KL5. It's hard to imagine how Surefire could improve on this light except in size and weight, though the PM6 with Flashlightlens clicklie is shorter and lighter than the original.

If adequate thermal management can be maintained I'd like to put the KL5 on a G2. We'll see, but regardless, the McModule isn't going in the drawer anytime soon.

Brightnorm

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes, the perfectly circular and pure white beam of the McModule as compared to an L4... It still amazes me how much more "whiter" these V2Ts are, as compared to whatever SF has in the L4s...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Choua,

I am hoping that the new color binning from Lumileds will take care of the issue you have mentioned. All of the R2H's I have worked with and tested are much whiter than I would have assumed from their bin designation. The V2T's I have used are also of little tint. From recent experience, I have more confidence in the 2 bin than the higher bin numbers! Weird!

- Don