Should I buy a Fenix TA21 to replace my LD20?

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys I`m kind of new in this forum, so...the doubt is that I recently bought one fenix ld20 r4 and i really like it, its very bright. I`m not only using it as an EDC light but as for camping as well. My cousing also liked the ld20 and he wants me order one for him. The point is. should I sell my ld20 and buy a ta21 for me?

I know that ta21 is more expensive and it uses lithium batteries and i also hve to buy the charger for them. Is it a good idea going for this change:huh:?

Thankx a lot! I apreciate it!
I think I`m becoming a flashaholic!:D

Obs:sorry about my english, I`m from brazil.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TA21 is a longer and heavier light so you might want to consider what you will use the light for. If you carry the light in a holster or pocket EDC (every day carry) the change might be to large for you.

If you just generally like to keep the light in your vehicle, for walks or just around the house then it might be just fine.

Also Welcome to CPF!

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
Hi.. Hi... :welcome:

i also love LD20 R4.
in my opinion, fenix is the best brand of all.
(i know many ppl will disagree with me)
but the TA21 is not that good i think.
like jhc37013 mention, it a little big compare to other light.

if you like to change from AA light to 18650, there are lot of choices better than TA21.
try Dereelight DBS, i think it's the best thrower for compact light.
but if you like to EDC it, i will go for smaller one e.g. itp SA1 Eluma.
it can accept AA battery or 14500 for brighter output.
try to give more details about what your need, so we can have better suggestion for you.

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, thanks! I got no problem changing to 18650 batteries. The LD20 is my first real flashlight, here in brazil is very hard to find a good flashlight and i`m so damn impressed about its brightness, its just outstanding :twothumbs! I would like to jump to a brighter level, if you guys know what I mean, but I would like to keep the price to 90 dollars tops. Thats why I think DBS model is not for me right now. If possible could you indicate one model from the fenix family, they have great flashlights with great price and for me is easier to buy from fenix-store cause they send the product by a method that i can avoid problems with my custom, if you know what i mean!:crazy: The taxes in my country are so damn abusive, more than 110%....
And i got no problem by carring a bigger light cause i`ve always kept it in my backpack or hang on it. I`m always using it indoors and for camping or hiking the forest. I guess thats it.

Thanks a lot!
:grin2:

Last edited:

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
I waghed a revargl compafring the old ld20 mofel with the cre q5 and the ta21 and the diferente was consiberadle but i dont knos the diferenfe betwen the ld20 r4 moddl with the ta21 since the ld20 r4 has a brigthew led. But they say ta21 has a farter throp... What do you sag c4reen, you hve both mogls?
Thankx

DM51

Flashaholic
I waghed a revargl compafring the old ld20 mofel with the cre q5 and the ta21 and the diferente was consiberadle but i dont knos the diferenfe betwen the ld20 r4 moddl with the ta21 since the ld20 r4 has a brigthew led. But they say ta21 has a farter throp... What do you sag c4reen, you hve both mogls?
Thankx
Is your keyboard OK, or have you spilled something on it? LOL

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
hahah sorry my ipod is weird, dunno why!
I saw review comparing the old ld20 model with the cre q5 and the ta21 and the diference was considerable but i dont know the diference betwen the ld20 r4 model with the ta21 since the ld20 r4 has a brigther led. But they say ta21 has a further throw... What do you say c4reen, you hve both models?
Thankx

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
What about the PD30?

It is shorter then your LD20 and brighter too. However it does use CR123's so it may not be economically viable :welcome:

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
Yes...
TA21 has more throw than the P/LD series.
but all TK series are designed for throwing the light.
so you might consider TK11 or TK12 that cheaper than TA21.
about brightness...:thinking::thinking::thinking:
TA21 still a little bit brighter than LD20 r4 if you compare side-by-side.
but TK11 r5 also brighter than LD20 r4, i can't talk about TK12 since i don't have it but i believe it also brighter than LD20.
If you always use the flashlight, it's better using 18650 rechargeable than CR123. so i would not go for PD30 if i were you.

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
So you are saying that there`s only a little difference bettwen TA21 and LD20 R4? Does that difference worth the change? Considering i hve to buy new batteries and a new charger? What`s worth it in your opinion? The main con in the PD30 is the fact of it only uses cr123a batteries. So that one is out of the list. I`ve been thinking about TK11 R5 which is able to throw 285 lumens on turbo but some of the people that has it complain about the narrow focus, and the spill is terrible for those people who like to see the enviroment. I`ve heard that TA21 has a very good spill....So another question, what do you think? Give me some light, please! :candle:

Thanks a lot!!! Hve a nice thursday!

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
I have the ta21 and it is a great light very bright with good throw. but I also have the tk 12 and it is a also a great light

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
I must consider the TK12 R5(280lumens) as an option due the fact it has a good spill, at least on pictures it seems to hve a better one compared to tk11. I dont know, i just get the feeling that the TA21 is better, dont know why, maybe is the overall looking or the rotating bezel to switch bettwen modes, or the strike bezel(useless for me but makes it look nice:duh2:)...I wish i could hve both LD20 and the new one but its a lot of money for me....:broke:

Thanks a lot once again and always!

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Hi Nathan225.:wave:You hve both TK12 and TA21? Gooood...just what i needed to know! Does your tk12 have the r5 led? How does it do the job compared to ta21? Tk12 has more lumens, therefore a better throw, right? What about the spill is it good??

Thanks!:huh:

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
So you are saying that there`s only a little difference bettwen TA21 and LD20 R4? Does that difference worth the change? Considering i hve to buy new batteries and a new charger? What`s worth it in your opinion?

no, the different is quite significant but in the dark place when you need a light, both of them still very bright flashlight.
and i think it is worth it if you buy the battery and charger since u can charge again and again so there is no more cost for the battery.

I`ve been thinking about TK11 R5 which is able to throw 285 lumens on turbo but some of the people that has it complain about the narrow focus, and the spill is terrible for those people who like to see the enviroment. I`ve heard that TA21 has a very good spill....So another question, what do you think? Give me some light, please! :candle:

i have both of TK11 R5 and TA21, they both have same size of the spill.
and the beam also similar size. the main different is that the TA21 have smoother beam pattern compare to TK11 since the TA21 have OP reflector and TK11 using SMO/smooth one (so you gonna see like ring on the beam patter).
and also the TA21 have more purple tint and TK11 more greenish.

chenko

Enlightened
To the OP: if you need a short answer for poll-like purposes, it's "no" for me. :)

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a Lot C4ReeN! I intend to buy AW protected batteries and charger. But the doubt is Ta21 Vs TK11 R5, the brightness difference worth it going to tk11? The only difference is the cost(tk11 is US10 cheaper), size, the 360 degrees bezel for settings on TA21 and the brightness. That ring beam patter u said is the famous donut effect? After having both light which one would you rather take on a hiking for example? considering every aspect?

thanks you r helping me a lot

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
I`ve been doing some research on SMO and PO reflectors and realized that my ld21 r4 has a SMO and i can definetely notice the rings and divisions of the beam. thing that is not going to happen on orange peel reflectors right? but thats only noticeble on a wall...in real life they say PO has less throw because of its texture, so it has more spill and smoothness than throw it self...Seems like it makes a huge difference on throw power comparing tk11 r5 and ta21 considering tk11 has more lumens and a SMO reflector...i`m so glad of knowing this stuff! ahaha i`m on my way to the flashaholic`s land! lol

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
hi,

unless you need the rotary thing to easily access modes, maybe you should consider buying something more recent and lighter like tk11 r5 or tk12 r5 (staying in the fenix family)

dealing only with fenix-store, you may also take a look at the quark series !

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Oh God! haha I`m almost choosing the Tk12 for these reasons....Recent emmiter R5, lighter, smaller, has a clip, its bright, and it uses 18560 batteries....

So changing my LD20 to a TK12 R5 i hve this scenario:

Pro: Brighter light, longer running times(thanks to 18560).Smaller in lenght.

Cons: Larger than ld20 but i guess its still pocketable, if i ran out of batteries i`m scrwed cause these 18560 are so damn hard to find here in brazil(hard close to impossible), so i hve to buy at least 2 or 3 batteries and the charger. So due this change of tecnology its going to cost me double the price considering i previously had metal hydre batteries and a charger. I use the low and the turbo modes a lot and in the tk12 r5 settings they are separeted among the options camping and hunting/general making it difficult to hve a quikly access..

So guys, what do you think, should i go for it??

thankx!:huh:

Last edited: