Streamlight TL-3: Clever design addresses issues

brightnorm

Flashaholic
STREAMLIGHT TL-3 3X123 5W LED flashlight

Clever design addresses thermal management*, sustained "holdability" and other issues

DIMENSIONS (Measured)
L 6 ¼"
Bezel dia 1 5/8"
Body dia 3/4"

WEIGHT (Measured)
Head (with LED assembly) 1.5oz
Body 3.1oz
Tailcap 0.4oz
Total weight with batteries 6.7oz

BALANCE POINT (affects long term hold comfort)
2 5/8" from front bezel edge

BEAM

Color: White with subtle "HID blue" tint. Virtually identical to my McModule V2T

Brightness: Measured indirectly, relative values only - Comparison ARC LSH-P, PM6/McModule & L4 - initial readings only since the LSH-P is 1W and because rapid heat buildup in the KL4 and McModule makes sustained tests impractical.

RUNTEST

------------LSH-P----L4-----McM--------TL3-----MIN----% DIM------HEAT-------
8:05pm--34.4------81.9----82.8-------60.3------0--------0---------------------
8:55pm----------------------------------54.2------50-------10--V hot, hold L 1/2
9:22pm----------------------------------51.0------77-------16- V hot, hold L 1/2
9:53pm----------------------------------49.3-----108-------18--V hot, hold L 1/2
10:37-------------------------------------43.9-----152-------27---Hot, hold L ¾
11:07pm---------------------------------33.5-----182-------44-----Warm, hold

*"Thermal management" refers to protecting the LED from excessive heat buildup through the use of heat sinks, radiating fins and other methods of transferring heat away from the LED. This is a separate but related issue to "holdability", or more importantly "sustained holdability". It is a challenge to combine excellent thermal management and sustained holdability, especially in a very bright small light because good thermal management results in a hotter light, making it less "holdable".

"Holdability" varies with ambient temperature, individual pain threshold, hand position, grip pressure, length of hold time and other factors. Tester's personal reaction to first 1 1/2hr of use: very hot = not comfortable but still holdable at lower half of body. Maximum sustainable hold time not tested. Theoretically, if you held the light at the beginning of a run test and sustained your grip, the light would stay cool longer because of heat dissipation afforded by your body

NOTEWORTHY FEATURES

Original design yields excellent thermal management and sustained "holdability"

Clever design yields excellent heat control. Bezel contains reflector and unique floating, shock-isolated LED assembly. Very thick aluminum head functions as effective heatsink, aided by slim but long body. One piece head/body.

Size Relatively small for its 3x123 format

Runtime/brightness Quite bright. 18% loss at 1hr 48min is excellent for presumably non-regulated light.

Grip Aggressive transverse body ribs aid grip security and mitigate heat

Focus Relatively large bezel permits tighter (adjustable) focus than PM6/McModule

Switch Easily accessible recessed push/turn tail button. Light can stand on end without activating switch

Construction Very solid aluminum construction, glass lens, all parts well mated.

Lube Thoroughly pre-lubed

Clip Fairly long clip – possibly removable with small Allen wrench

CRITICAL NOTES

Imaginative lumen claims

Distinctly less bright than PM6/McModule, KL4 and CM mod 5W/KL1

Relatively long and heavy

Wide bezel and weighted head make light top heavy and a relatively awkward carry.

"Hot holdability" would be further improved by continuous ribbing, uninterrupted by longitudinal flats

NLOTC Tailswitch, although recessed could be accidentally activated

Conclusions The Streamlight TL-3 is a cleverly designed, solidly constructed, quite bright, relatively long-burning 5W LED light, with excellent thermal management and sustainable use being its pimary achievements. It is also one of the largest and heaviest "small" 5W LED lights and achieves its performance through some sacrifice in total brightness. Its otherwise excellent tailswitch is non-lockable and the light is noticeably top heavy. Significantly, this light is the first of its kind to address the critical issues of sustained-use and thermal management with relative success.

Although it can be argued that this accomplishment is overstated because the light is dimmer than other 5W LED lights, the fact remains that its thoughtful design makes sustained use practical. The TL-3 is a welcome addition to the rapidly expanding field of very bright small LED lights.

Brightnorm

chumley

Enlightened
brightnorm, thanx for the detailed info on the TL-3 led. I have been considering one of these, or a L4. How is the throw compared to the L4, or to an incandescent like a Tec-40 or E2e?

Mike

rookie

Enlightened
Wow, an excellent review. Now there is yet another option for everyone.

Thanx, Brightnorm

Byron Walter

Enlightened
There is another thread about the TL-3 that said it would be regulated... the above data indicates otherwise. BTW, thanks for the great info!

Overamp

Newly Enlightened
Great review! I've got one ordered. Very surprised this DD is not as bright as KL4. I wonder why that is?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm,

Thanks for the great review on this long anticipated light. However, based upon the fact that the light does not seem to be regulated and not as bright as the KL4, I think I may have to pass on this one. In addition, the I can't justify the costs for this light when we now have the L4 and the McModule!

hideo

Enlightened
another sterling brightnorm review--I thank you, my budget does not ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hideo

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm, thanks again for another thoughtful review. The main issues in this reveiw seem to be (for me at least) the fact that it is less bright as a trade off for runtime. And since the people that have L4's and McModules know what type of comparison you are actually making, it is valuable to me because I now know that I must pass on this light. I have the 1 and 2 lithium twin task lights and they have their rightful place in my collection, it just isn't something that I can edc, which is important to me. If I can't carry a flashlight in my pocket it becomes of less value than having one that I can.
It seems that SL has taken the path of building flashlights that can be placed in a glove box, or work bench or some other utilitarian place for general lighting purposes. And since it appears as though their lumens claim would be difficult to substantiate, it takes much of the luster off this highly anticipated product. I have been waiting for this product since I first read of it and now it seems as though they are totally playing it safe. Maybe their night fighter series has more to offer those of us that are looking for something different (maybe brighter) than what we already have.

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Re: Streamlight TL-3: Clever design addresses issu

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I don't entirely agree with this review. I just got a TL-3 from Cabela's yesterday. The beam produced can be focused by turning the front of the bezel (similar to a Stinger or a Scorpion) from wide area flood to a fairly tight beam. When tightly focused, it is considerably brighter than the L4, has a much tighter center beam and has much greater throw. Both the L4 and the TL-3 had new batteries. On wide flood, it would be great for setting up camp at night (like I usually have to do). For reaching out there to see what went bump in the night, you can focus it down and readily identify objects quite a distance away.

I don't have any equipment to test the claimed output but I can say that by superimposing the beams from the L4 and the TL-3 over each other, the TL-3 COMPLETELY overpowers the L4.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm,

I do not have any first hand experience, but posts from Mr. Bulk and someone else (I think HotFoot) said that there was discussion within Streamlight as to weather this light would have regulation circuitry or a simple resistor, and I think that they were leaning towards regulation circuitry.

Again, I have no knowledge, this is just "word on the street".

Thanks for the review!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
If BN doesn't mind, I'd like to have a Moderator for this forum move this thread to the Reviews forum. Well done, Brightnorm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quickbeam,

Could you let it linger here for a while? This forum is busier than Reviews and I'd like more people to see it.

Thanks,
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Crash said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I don't entirely agree with this review. I just got a TL-3 from Cabela's yesterday. The beam produced can be focused by turning the front of the bezel (similar to a Stinger or a Scorpion) from wide area flood to a fairly tight beam. When tightly focused, it is considerably brighter than the L4, has a much tighter center beam and has much greater throw. Both the L4 and the TL-3 had new batteries. On wide flood, it would be great for setting up camp at night (like I usually have to do). For reaching out there to see what went bump in the night, you can focus it down and readily identify objects quite a distance away.

I don't have any equipment to test the claimed output but I can say that by superimposing the beams from the L4 and the TL-3 over each other, the TL-3 COMPLETELY overpowers the L4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crash,

You're absolutely right that the TL-3 can narrow its beam to outthrow the L4, and that its focus adjustment provides flexibility of function. It's also true that when in tight focus the TL-3 can superimpose itself on the L4's beam.

The issue is the total output, the total amount of light actually produced which would correspond roughly with lumens. That is why I measured the light indirectly.

The advantage of the TL-3 is its relatively long runtime coupled with its "holdability" throughout much or all of that runtime, plus its focusability and the fact of its moderate size and weight.

BTW, There is considerable variation in brightness among my three KL4's and I would expect similar variation from one TL3 to the next. This is another factor that might account for some of your observations.

While I would not EDC this light, I would certainly consider it for other uses.

Brightnorm

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

What CRASH said.... I just received my TL-3 LED, and first impressions are VERY favorable.

The only other Luxeon I have is the Twin-Task 3AA one watt, and of course the TL-3 blows it away. I am most impressed by the beautifully adjustable focus/beam. The tightest focus really gives it a lot of throw, very much like a good incandescent; without, of course, the yellow color. Mine is a nice white, just with a faint hint of green. Perfectly acceptable, unlike my TL-2 which was GREEN !!!, and is being replaced.

It's smaller than I thought it would be from the pics, but the obvious mass should be a great heat sink. The clip works nicely; too big for real pocket carry, but anything larger than a Photon is not EDC for me. Nicely orange peeled reflector which gives a nice even beam, except at extreme flood, where the central "cross" can be seen on a wall, but not in real use.

The extended run time will be welcome compared to a two Lithium celled light.

The TL-3 is a keeper.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

BrightNorm,

I haven't seen the TL-3 but I do have a TL-2 (impressive light in its own right). If the TL-3 is designed similar to the TL-2 I question some apparent possible contradictions in your comments on thermal management??

"Clever design yields excellent heat control. Bezel contains reflector and unique floating, shock-isolated LED assembly. Very thick aluminum head functions as effective heatsink, aided by slim but long body. One piece head/body."

Now I am confused how the module can be shock isolated and yet thermally connected? The TL-2 has a LED module that makes a hard and forced contact with the battery tube at one end and the reflector at the other but essentially floats within the head. Is this also how the TL-3 is designed?

Now here is a quote that I find rather interesting:

"....because rapid heat buildup in the KL4 and McModule makes sustained tests impractical..."

Ultimate steady state temperature of the light will show how effective it is in passing the heat off in convection and radiant forms. I agree that the TL-3 having more surface area should have a lower steady state temperature than the other lights. However since you have stated that the KL4 and McModule have rapid heat buildup, I think you have inadvertently identified these lights as having superior thermal management over the TL-3 if I may suggest that removal of heat from the LED qualifies as superior; not hand hold ability. I can make you a Titanium flashlight with a thermally isolated battery tube that will take forever to get warm. By the time it reaches steady state, the poor LED will be sweating bullets.

- Don

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

keithhr said that he wouldn't EDC anything he couldn't carry in a pocket. I was carying an E2e with KL1 head in a back trouser pocket and stepped in a hole covered with grass. When I unceremoniously fell on my umm ... back pocket, I was surprised at how much that wonderfully small E2e hurt. Since then, I carry it is a belt holster. One benefit is that I'm not sitting on it anymore. At a little over 300 lbs, that has to be a plus ... for the light. In any case, I wouldn't have a problem carying the TL-3 in the same fashion.

Almost a "Flashaholic" ...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot to mention the splendid recessed tail switch/button. The light will stand on end, won't inadvertantly get turned on, and just looks "finished".

Everyone should do it this way.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

interesting point, Don.
so ... does anyone know if this is regulated or not?
bernhard

Free

Enlightened

I will get mine tomorrow. I hope that mine will be brighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

As to regulated or not, the LED module looks exactly like the one watt assembly pictured in Mr. Ted Bears evaluation of the TL-2 LED here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=287665&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The TL-3 LED module fits with some contact (not really tight) with an aluminum (?, white metal anyway) "sleeve" that holds the batteries inside the light body. There is a LOT of metal around the LED module, including the "sleeve", and the surrounding thick aluminum body.

The knurling is of a tackiness as to eliminate the need for a "ring" to use the light in a tactical sense (as in handgun use).